1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez Mikro Vs. Jackson Minion Vs. ESP Ltd B-4 JR, what to choose?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Oct 17, 2017.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I am looking for a backup or eventual even replacement for my main bass which is a 28,6" scale length black Ibanez Mikro (one of the old ones with basswood body), on which I have replaced the stock pickups with a pair of P/J EMG Geezer Butler and the stock bridge with a cheap black classic Fender stykle one.

I first had the weathered black Mikro in mind as backup/replacement for the bass I currently use as my main, but then after I watched a demo video of the new Jackson Minion basses, which shares many of the same features and specs as the Mikro, including the 26,6" scale length, decided for a green Minion bass instead.

But in the meantime another option has popped up, namely the now discontinued ESP Ltd B-4 JR.

The thing is though I don't know much about the ESP bass.

What I do know is that it got 24 frets vs. the Minion's and Mikro's just 22, but on the other hand only got a single P pickup vs. the other two alternative's P/J pickup configuration, finally it got ever so slightly shorter scale lenghth namely 28,5" vs the 28,6".

However wouldn't really be any major deal breaker for me having to eventually add and extra pickup myself to the ESP, and the 2 extra frets and generally more accessible neck high up of the ESP would be a nice feature for me.

What I really am most interested in knowing is how the overall quality of the ESP Ltd B-4 JR compares to the two other alternatives I got for a sub short scale bass in the ball park of 28" scale length, the Minion and the Mikro, including stabillity of the neck (not so much regarding the quality of the electronics (pickups e.t.c) and hardware, more in terms of the quality of the wood and fret work)?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  2. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Bump!

3. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    I like the new Jackson Minion. Cool looking little instrument. As an aside, you can get strings for shorties via Pyramid. They offer an extra short set that will fit Mikros and Minions.

4. gip111

gip111

Nov 13, 2012
    Walking through GC I noticed the lil Jackson bass right next to the Mikro.
    Side by side comparison the Jackson's body is a bit smaller but thicker and seem to be the same scale length.
    Didn't have time to plug it to try it but based on looks alone, it is way too flashy for me than the more classic, classy, clean look of the Ibanez. As it is, the Ibanez sounds pretty good to my ears.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  5. I have had 3 Jackson basses in the last 40 days. 2 were sent back, with the only keeper being the one I ordered first and it is a 5 string. Had high hopes based on it, but I will by no more Jacksons. Period.

I also have an LTD B-4e. Great build quality, QC, etc. No contest in my book.