Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez MMM sig. VS. Epiphone Les Paul Bari VS. OLP Baritone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, May 1, 2005.

Wich One's better quality?

Poll closed May 8, 2005.
  1. Epiphone Les Paul Bari

19 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Ibanez MMM sign.

30 vote(s)
    52.6%
  3. OLP Bari

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Ok now I know theyre called bari guitars, but I'm gonna be stringing the bari with bass VI strings, so then its what I'd consider a ERB.

Anyways, im pretty sure the Epiphone will be the best, but im just mkaing sure.

Anybody have any experience with any of these bari's??

Thanks,
    ~JB~

Btw, I play mostly Heavy Rock, but will want the bass to be able to play a bit of everything

2. primus_55

primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    MMM easy.....

3. I know that it is not on your list but the Fender Baritone custom actually comes strung like a Bass IV and works well as a short scale six string bass.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm actually itching to get my hands on one of the OLP MM5's.

5. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I have played the Ibanez, and owned the OLP (regret parting with it). Let me say I'm not a fan of bolt-ons first of all. Not a fan of Epiphones either, so I wouldn't expect to much like that one.

To me, the Ibanez seemed pretty well constructed, but it sounded pretty bad. The OLP sounded and played much better. The OLP is based on a "six string bass" Music Man, and it is certainly more of a bass with narrow string spacing than a guitar, where the Ibanez is a guitar with a longer neck and boring sounding pickups. The OLP pickups are positioned like on a bass, with the neck pickup a few inches away from the fretboard not jammed up against it like on a guitar, like the other 2. Even better, it is 30 INCH SCALE, not 28. This puts it in short scale bass territory, leaving plenty of options; there are baritone guitar strings available for that length, and it will also take short scale bass strings, you could mix and match for a weird hybrid thing or whatever. The stock pickups are perfectly servicable for bass use, on the one I had I changed the bridge pickup to a Gibson Iommi for use as an ultra low rhythm guitar. Tried out a Bogner Uberschall with it and very nearly bought the amp even though I play guitar maybe twice a month, it was a monstrous, killer sound.

Even though the Ibanez looks pretty nice and is a neck through, I'd go with the OLP. May yet end up buying another one. Haven't had good luck with anything Epiphone, and the looks of those baritones turn me right off.

6. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Yeah those fender bari jag HH's are another option...like i said im looking for a good one to play rock on. probably actually more heavy/prog rock / metal...

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'd go with a Lakland 55-94 or at minimum a Lakland 55-02 for a project like that.

8. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Go to www.blackmachine.co.uk and click on the "news" entry. I played that exact baritone (it's NOT a guitar!!!) at the winter NAMM show, and I'm saving for one now. 30" scale, 8 strings, I dropped it to EAEADGBE and it put out BASS, as well as having a sweet, round guitar-ish tone. I play bari in a band, and I want one of these.

In the price range, thought, I'd check the Fender Jag bari or the MMM; I was impressed with the MMM, but I didn't buy it because it had some other dude's name on it ;)

9. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Why do you guys dislike epiphones so much? out of the two major bands ive played in , all of the guitarists of have owned an epiphone and they all love 'em. :confused:

Does the MMM really sound that "booring" ???

10. Epi basses and guitars are much different animals.
    The basses are muddy in my experience, while the guitars seem to be decent price point journeyman instruments.

11. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    well if theyre guitars are good, and their basses are muddy, then will the bari be muddy like the bass then?

Crap, I put the question for the poll as "wich oens better quality" not "wich one sounds better", then again, good quality usually=good sound right?

Edit: Also, I'd have to special order the baritone jaguars, so I wouldnt be able to try one out first :bawl: :spit: :crying:

12. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    i'm not too fond of ibanez hardtails........ what about an LTD?

13. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Because they are cheap pieces of crap with less than adequate tone, intonation and tuning issues.

14. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Well I havent experienced their basses, but i really like thier guitars.

And man, if theyre guitars are that good, I dont think their basses could be THAT bad.

Wat about ESP/LTD are they (a) good brand(s)?

15. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Try the Jack Casady or Allen Woody sigs. No mud in either one. If you think all Epi basses are muddy then you must have only played the EB-0/Eb-3s.

16. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Yeah, like i said, If theyre guitars are good, then theyre basses cant be thaty bad, and even if some are, they definately arent all that way.

Anyways

Hmm, could also concider the Schecter hellcat VI...
    Anyone try one fo these?
    How is it compared to a fender bari jag?

17. rx jr.

rx jr.

May 10, 2004
    Brooklyn
    meh i'd go with the schecter myself.