Ibanez Modification, Ya or Nah?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eVersi0n, Feb 2, 2003.

1. eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    Well, I can get a deal, but i'm unsure if i should go for it or not. I'm getting a BTB405 next weekend, its my first bass(but i'v played guitar for a few years) I can get some (new) bart's installed, instead of the stock pickups, for just a tiny bit more cash(not much at all), Should i do thisright away, or should i use the stocks for a while, then if i want to change the pu's later i can. (It'll be a little more then what i would pay now, but still very cheap). I'm really thinking of waiting to get the bart's, maybe i won't even get bart's, i'll probably be happy with the stock pu's for months/years to come , as i already do.
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

How cheap?? If its just a little bit now, I would. But if its close to $100 I would wait.

What $$$ are we talking?
  3. eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    About 50$ now, but ater i'll hafta pay about 75-100$
  4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well the problem I have is that Im not a big fan of Barts. But the p-ups in most Ibeenhads tend to be so-so. I guess save the money and see what you think or wait until a Ibanez BTB owner can chime in.

What about a Duncan??

What sound are you going for?
  5. eVersi0n

Dec 30, 2002
    Canada, Alberta
    The Sound i'm shooting for is more of a precussion sound (clicky) but not like a fieldy clicky, more of a coal chamber tone, still has a tone, but with a click. Damn sounds are hard to explain.
  6. I own an Ibanez EDC700 which I really like.However I think the electronics are a bit lacking.I plan to put in a differant pre when I can afford it. The stock Ibanez pups for my bass are the Mighty Mites(or so I have read),not bad pups at all.I would change out the preamp first then see how that is before messing with the pickups.From what I hear the preamp will make more of a differacne than the pups will.Just my $.02 worth though. :)
  7. odie

odie Supporting Member

Yes the pre would make more sense then the p-ups. That clickity click sound you hear is the strings bottoming out against the frets. So you will need to either play with alot of attack or lower your action. So its not a pup thing, but a playing style with eq.
  8. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I say what the hell...go for it. For $50, if you decide you don't like the Barts, you could stick the stock pups back in and probably get your $50 back off of eBay.
  9. arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    or he could be talking about the treble
    just a thought