1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Musician 1979 - a good oportunity?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sublab, Dec 10, 2011.

1. I've got the opportunity to buy a Ibanez Musician from 1979 with one single coil pickup. According to the seller she's been revised and in good condition. Take a look via the link below.
    He's asking 375 Euro. I'd probably put in an ACG preamp and possibly put in 2 Delano humbuckers.

Any advise on Musicians??

Ibanez Musician '79 - Te koop | 2dehands.be

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I love those Musicians. But it would be a bummer to see one get cut up to add a bunch of aftermarket stuff. :eyebrow:

3. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    That version of the Musician is an MC800. Though extremely well made, they are common to find, and not collectible. To begin with, €375 is $500US, which is overpriced. Buying that for $500 and sinking another $500 in modifications into it is a big loser. Basically you'll end up spending $1,000 on a bass that will be worth less than $300 when you're done.

For $1,000 you can buy the more collectible MC924, which sounds great and will need no mod's at all. And if you were to sell it later, you could get your money back, probably more.

4. nitram

nitram

Apr 19, 2008

I agree !

DON'T DO THAT !!! If you are tpo buy this thing, leave it as is !!! They deserve it !!! Awesome build construction, awesome tone... Sexy as hell... I'd leave it as is brother !!

Nitram :)

5. nitram

nitram

Apr 19, 2008

Your right about getting another bass for that price, it seems a little much... But then again, if it's in oustanding condition and with the original case, I'd be a little tempted... It's the Musician line after all, an amazing build quality on these !! I just LOVE my MC980 and my MC924... Hell, even my Roadster bass is top notch build quality and growls so very nicely...

I just love them old Ibies !!!

Nitram :)

6. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    A great bass for a great price - go for it.

DO NOT, however, make any mods to it or you will;
    1. Destroy the value of it.
    2. Ruin the looks of it.
    3. Most importantly, you would ruin the TONE of it. These are fantastic sounding basses, and they don't need any hot-rodding. Buy a MIM Fender if you want to play Dr. Frankstein.

7. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Around here that price is a bit strong. A very well made bass and you will appreciate its quality.

You might ask about the weight, the musician I had was too heavy for me while the Roadster is perfect in every way.

If you are planning on modding it, don't bother buying it.

8. Stick with an external preamp and run it passive. You can use that Pre with any bass, sell it, swap/upgrade it, etc.

Keep it original - I'd never buy a modded one - it's only worth spare parts after that !!

9. I had a Roadster a few years back, but didn't have it set up and sold it much to my regret now.

Don't you guys think that this bass modded with an ACG preamp and 2 humbuckers would make one helluva bass? I'm not talking resale value, I'm talking 'main bass' to go to and to keep. Around here Musicmans and Ricks go for big money even secondhand and even those I would mod with an ACG filter preamp. I kind of like the Ibanez but I just cannot believe that that single coil PU is gonna deliver. We just fired our second guitar player and I'm filling in the gaps on bass. Right now I'm playing a 2006 Warwick Rockbass Corvette with 2 single coils, which leaves ample room for desire for tone. I may be wrong, but does an Ibby MC800 deliver enough tonewise?

10. Don't recall ever playing an MC800, but based on my MC940, here's what I can say.

First, great basses.

Second, yes the pickups are a bit clinical. You can dial a lot of sounds into them but if you are hearing humbuckers in your head the Ibanez may be a bit clean, but it's very rich and full (I'm benchmarking my MC940 against a Precision and a Rick in making that comment).

Third, in Australia that would be a reasonable asking price for that bass. If you hung out you could get lower. If you are ambivalent you can always make a lower offer. I am so jealous of our American cousins who pay peanuts for their gear. :-(

Fourth, take good advice before you go routing extra pickup holes and so on in the wood. If it were me I would look for a bass made to be dual pickup, and look for pickups that would fit without mods.

11. "If it were me I would look for a bass made to be dual pickup, and look for pickups that would fit without mods."

Great bass, wrong platform to start from. A different model at a better price is my vote. Be patient - a couple of months and the right bass at right price will show up.

12. I bought one new in Montreal in 79. Cost me $425 with OHSC then. Great instrument but a little on the heavy side. No problems what so ever with it, stayed in tune and never needed adjustments. Sold it in Ebay in 2005 for $475 with non original
    case. This one is missing the truss rod cover which can be hard to find. I saw one on Ebay recently and they asking about $50
    for it. 375 Euros is a little steep in my opinion.