Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Musician bass - anyone familiar with it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Heavier Than Thou, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Heavier Than Thou

Heavier Than Thou

Jan 25, 2001
    Hi all,

A local music store has a used bass called an Ibanez Musician for $500. I did a search on the internet to try and find out more about it, but all I found was pictures of a DIFFERENT type of Ibanez Musician than what I saw in the store.

The internet search showed me basses that looked like a P-bass body with the neck-thru-body in contrasting wood, and a Gibson-style headstock with 2 keys on top, 2 on bottom. Most of these were dated 1979-1980.

The bass I tried in the store had a smaller body, not P-bass style, and the top/front of the body was rounded, not flat across. It had a smaller headstock. It did have the distinctive neck-thru-body with contrasting wood. It appeared to have active electronics which I don't know much about since I've never owned a bass with this feature. It had a nice slim neck, like a Jazz bass, which I found easy to navigate with my small hands. The action was set very low and the strings were slapping on the neck near the pickups.
    The salesman saw my interest and offered to make me a deal on it.

Anyone know anything about this particular type of Ibanez Musician, which I haven't been able to find a picture of in my internet search? Is it an earlier model? A later model with perhaps less quality than the much-vaunted early 80's Musician basses? Thank you!!

2. try getting the serial number and e-mail ibanez and see what they say.

3. Heavier Than Thou

Heavier Than Thou

Jan 25, 2001
    Hi, it's me again. I went and did another search and finally found a picture of the bass that I saw used in the music store.

Go to www.collectguitars.com/Gear/RobMill.html

Any feedback you could provide about this particular model would be helpful...

4. Offbase

Offbase

Mar 9, 2000
    They're nice basses -- Sting used to endorse them. Active electronics, neck through, nice quality. See if you can get 'em to take $400.

5. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    My very first bass was a mahogany/maple neck through Musician. It was very cool and an interesting bass. Ibanez made two types of the Musician, the normal (which Sting used (and like mine), and the bean bass (like the one you're considering buying). Unfortunately, I was not a connoisseur of basses then, so I cannot give you my professional opinion of these basses. However, I can say I've been scouring ebay and any used bass site for the exact replica of my old bass in hopes of acquiring a replacement...For nostalgic reasons.

6. jrock111

jrock111

Oct 10, 2000
    Wisconsin
    They are nice guitars. I got my MC824 for $300. The 800 series have passive electronics and the 900 series had active electronics. The Musician bass was made from 1978 to 1985. Dating Ibanez prior to 1987 is easy. For example, the serial number on mine reads L840577. The first letter represents the month, A being January, B February, L December, ect. The next two numbers represent the year it was made. And the the last four numbers represent how many models were produced for that month. So mine was made in December of 1984 and 577 models were made for that month.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually, I believe that the last 4 digits is what production number your bass is for the month.

If it means how many were produced for the month, then all of the MC824's produced in December of 1984 would have the same serial number - L840577.;)

8. Hey Heavier, this is an issue that's near and dear to my heart. I have an Ibanez Musician that I bought brand new in 1981. It's a 1979 model. Mine is just like the early ones you described, P-bass type body, neck thru, Gibson type headstock. I looked at the photo you posted, and it looks like a
    1984-86 model to me. After the body style I had, they made it a little more asymetrical, and then a few years later they came out with that small body you showed us. I am a definite Ibanez freak, but I do admit that some of their stuff isn't the greatest.
    There was a thread here a few weeks ago, and most people agreed that the old Musicians were very good basses. If you're sitting on the fence, I'd
    say go for it. Hopefully, there's a BTB not far off in my future.

Go Ibanez,
    Mike J.