1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Musician Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AphekGreg, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Nonsense. everything I've seen you do here has been top-notch. That's one of your own covers up above in post #2230? Looks fine to me.

Ha! Put them on your MC30TH, you'll never notice them. :)

Edit: I may have to try a photoshop mockup...

Janforth likes this.
  2. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
  3. Rick_Bass

Rick_Bass

Feb 10, 2020
    Hi all I'm new here. I just bought an Ibanez Musician MC924DS. This bass was my uncle's who purchased it in Japan when he was serving in the Marine Corp. I used to practice on this bass when I was a kid a until he banished me from it and made me buy my own bass.

I ended up buying a JB Player bass and took lessons with that and played that for a few unbearable years. Than I bought a fender jazz bass plus. Had that for a few years and stopped playing in the mid 90s.

Now I just bought the old musician back and I went right back to square 1 with her. I bought my same old Korg GT-6J tuner and Mel Bay books 1 and 2 off ebay. I been practicing 1 hour a day for a month now and just about done with book 1. I love reading music. The bass sounds beautiful.

Everything is in working order. I need a truss rod cover and that is all. I cleaned the fretboard but need to polish the frets and condition the wood. I have not oiled it yet.

I do have the crack around the electronics compartment that I caused when I was a kid going all Steve Harris on the body by hitting in a metal head rage..... It is barely noticeable but it is there. I wish I could get that fixed. The serial number on this bass is I804685 September 1980 Terrada Factory in Nagano Japan.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 3:21 PM
    DanAdams, Abner, Janforth and 4 others like this.
  4. Welcome. Great story. My first tuner was the same as that. One of the first affordable tuners (not that they were cheap).

Nice job with the fretboard. I assume the second last picture is before you cleaned it up?

You can get reproduction truss rod covers here. Repro Guitar Parts

5. As always, it's getting the original mould made. If I was going to make a large number of them, I'm sure there are plenty of better ways to do it. I'm assuming the demand for them would be pretty low though.

I spoke to my mate yesterday and he's hoping to get started on the covers next week. I'll see how he goes, how they look and how much it costs.

I used the hum cancelling versions in the MC30TH at a rehearsal this week and they sounded great. Very pleased with the sound (and lack of noise).

Jan-Arend Blok and Abner like this.
  6. Rick_Bass

Rick_Bass

Feb 10, 2020
    Yeah that pic was before cleaning. That light is making it look way worse than it was. Thanks for the link to the truss rod cover.

AphekGreg likes this.
  7. No problem. This group is great for that sort of information. Very helpful and friendly group here.

I don't know where you get screws for the covers, but hopefully that's easier to solve. :)

8. Slapndbayass

Slapndbayass

Nov 9, 2016
    Don't they sell them on the same Repro site?

15193125.jpg
    Repro Guitar Parts

9. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    I picked up one of these for my 980. Obviously feels like plastic compared to the metal of the original, but looks identical. Make sure to get the three-screw cover and not the two-screw cover.

AphekGreg likes this.
  10. Slapndbayass

Slapndbayass

Nov 9, 2016
  11. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
  12. I've seen them a few time. Only on Roadsters. I only discovered they made 2 pickup Roadsters recently though.

I saw an active '79 MC900 with a rosewood board recently. Only seen rosewood on the passive (MC800?) model before this.

13. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Hoshino needs to hire a full-time historian. And they need to do it 40 years ago.

AphekGreg likes this.
  14. Where did you park the DeLorean?

15. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    so many little things wrong with that description, you trust that seller’s listed weight?
    i winder what those old musician/roadster pickups would sound like in a japanese 90s SR800.

16. No idea. Like everything, I'm sure it's a matter of taste. I love the pickups, but it's just part of the package. While I prefer the Super 4s, my Bean basses with the same construction and the SP4/SP5 combination have the same consistency of tone and response, as the others. They did something right with the Tuned Response neck through body construction, that just works for me.

I've only bought 2 Musicians that were heavier than stated...... this is a Roadster. :) and I didn't buy it!

17. Interesting MC824 on eBay in Canada at the moment. Neck pickup has been moved to the later '80/'81 position and it's clearly been painted with the hardware attached!! Stain on the bridge, pickups and selector switch!! If it was local, I think I'd be quite interested, as it looks to be better than the photos suggest. Could be a nice project for anybody into cleaning it up or a very cheap option for someone looking for a spare or doesn't mind the look.

s-l1600.jpg

Ibanez Musician Bass MC824 Vintage Neck Through Bass Guitar Walnut Japan | eBay

18. Still a good bass, if you want to restore it is a possibility...... Biggest problem is the damage on the pickups.