1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Musician Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AphekGreg, Apr 14, 2016.

1. I found this a while back. The schematic for the op-amp based 3 band eq. I believe they used a discrete (transistor) circuit on the earlier models. This one is definitely the same as the pre in my '81.

I rarely used the eq when I owned mine originally and I don't think my mate ever used it. It didn't work when I bought it back, but fortunately it was just a lead from the battery that had come off the output jack. Listening to it, I thought it was a good eq, but a little thin and there has always been a level drop when it's engaged and everything is flat. I decided to remove the op-amp and insert a socket to enable experimenting with other chips. Mine had a NEC 4558, but I'd seen others with the 'legendary' JRC 4558, as used in the Tube Screamers and other Ibanez pedals of the same era. I had one of those, so thought I'd start by trying it. I was surprised to find it made a big difference. The eq is fatter and it's pretty much unity gain when engaged and all the knobs are at their center detent flat positions. Nice. I want to try a 5532, but don't seem to have one on hand.

ibanez 3 band eq schematic.

Goad and bjelkeman like this.
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I had an '89 924 Studio model. Judging from the catalogue pics posted. I really liked it but found the Fender tone working better. I prefer that look to today's Ibanez line of basses.

Looks matter to this vain & shallow player. IF there was a 5-string version, I'd probably be in obsession mode.

Ductapeman likes this.
  3. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Absolutely agree. With most of your statements. :D Killer looks. Still my favourite body shape and headstock. And nothing wrong with a little vanity. ;)

As for the Fender sound, perhaps you should have tried one of the Roadsters — same shape as the Musicians and Studios, but bolt-on neck, maple fingerboard, and P/J pickups.

aguacollas and lesliegl like this.
  4. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Hey Greg, I posted a similar pic to your schematic a couple of years ago in another thread, except I modified it slightly to show actual values of the bass version. I think the original versions of these schematics are for the six-string guitars. Mine is for the 1982 version with no gain pot, and yours seems to be the earlier version with the gain pot on the first stage.

First, the wiring diagram. This one is for the earlier Super-4 version with pickup selector switch and gain control:
    mc924.

Next is the wiring diagram for the 1982 and later version, pickup balance pot, no gain: Ibanez MC924-940 (1982).

And then the actual schematic. This is also for the 1982 and later version, with connection letters corresponding to the diagram above. Note there is a green wire "j" that comes off the eq board which does not go anywhere: MC-924 eq (1982).
    -Alex

bjelkeman likes this.
  5. I could have used that first diagram last week when I was replacing the output jack. The nut had been cross threaded on mine at some point and wouldn't move at all. The screw shaft had then separated from the rest of the plug, so a bit unstable. Ended up having to destroy the old one to remove it. The output jack has the ground wires soldered to the metal on the sides, which isn't shown in that diagram.

I hadn't thought about the '82 and onwards eqs not having the active volume control. I really like being able to use it as a straight volume boost/cut for solos/slapping/pick use etc. as well as for compensating for eq changes.

bjelkeman likes this.
  6. If anyone's looking for a lighter weight example of a Musician, there's this nice looking MC824 on eBay at the moment. I asked the seller and it weighs 4.4kg (9.7 lbs), which is fine for most people. Passive only version, with the Super 4 pickups that I prefer. I know a lot of people never use the eq anyway. Adam Clayton owned an MC824 and MC924, but preferred the 824. It could be made slightly lighter again, if you routed out the rest of the control cavity. On the passive version they only routed enough for the pots and switch, but still had a full size plate. The seller sent me a picture to confirm it has the extra wood in the cavity. I have nothing to do with the seller. I was considering it, but it looks like I'm buying a different one. I'll tell you about that once it's confirmed. ;)

$_12.JPG

1981 Ibanez MC824DS Musician Electric Bass Thru-Neck Free Shipping Rare

7. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Continuing the machine head portion of our discussion, I found the post on Ibanez Collectors World of a disassembled second generation tuner, the Velve Tune B II:

There is also more useful information on the tuners at that thread here:

Login

Here are the pics (they were posted by ICW member "Geoff R". I hope he doesn't mind me borrowing them):

Velve Tune BII.
    Velve Tune BII 2.
    Velve Tune BII 3.
    Velve Tune BII 4.

As you can see, since a screw attaches the gear to the post, you have to take the back of first, unlike the previous generation machine heads.

-Alex

Edit: Oh, and someone mentioned that these were a direct drop-in replacement for the Velve-Tune II:

2X2 HEAVY DUTY BASS GUITAR MACHINE HEADS/GD/GH1

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    bjelkeman likes this.
  8. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Are you looking to pick up the one with the maxed out truss rod?

9. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe Supporting Member

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks Alex. Just what I need to do. I need to replace a left and I have a spare right. The thread is going to be backward I think, I wonder if that would work. Otherwise I could of course machine a new part on a CNC machine at the Makerspace. But it would be easier not to have to do it.

Link to the glue trick. Login

10. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    I'm pretty sure the gear thread is the same for both sides. And the worm thread too, for that matter. It's just on the other side.

bjelkeman likes this.
  11. I think that's right. Some of the Hipshot tuners are reversible.

Of course. Who wouldn't want a maxed out truss? :D Are they known to be a problem?

I'm getting one of the fifteen '09 anniversary models. MC30TH. It's obviously costing more than the originals are going for, but far less than the retail in '09. [The demand for them must be quite low]. I don't love the inlays, but that's ok. [My 7 y/o daughter saw me looking at some photos yesterday and thought it looked great though.] Would prefer that they'd made a regular looking version, but if they had, I might not be able to get this one. Other than having a swamp ash body, instead of the ash/mahogany sandwich, it should be the same as my '81. I noted in the ad that they talk about the select woods and hand craftsmanship, which I've always assumed is how the made them originally. So I'm counting on it being an almost new version of my 35 y/o bass (with over the top inlays).
    Ad.JPG

The one I'm getting is 4.3kg, compared to the 5.1kg of my original, which is a good weight for my back. I'd been looking around for a lighter one and seen it and contacted the seller to check on the weight. After playing mine with a band on Sunday, I decided that a Musician is definitely what I'm looking for in a main bass and that my back wouldn't cope with regularly standing with mine. The evenness of the response up and down the neck, is near perfect and the tone sits so well. I spent a lot more money than this anniversary model is costing on a Dingwall Z3, because of the string to string response and the 924 is much better.

I'll post some pictures when I get it. I can't find a single review of the MC30TH, but there's a Japanese guy with a bass blog, who has lots of Ibanez. He has pictures of the MC30TH next to some originals and from what I can work out from the auto translate, he feels they got it right.

2d3b071bae4617716f492320aa442d30. 237a8da0028533cb11d4d3f4829a685e.

66af3697092db466f80290a10cf9a54c. cda420f6a3c08bf43967d79d6b13fde8.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  12. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Wow. I did not see that coming. I thought you might be after the one with "issues" so you could take the pickups out and put them in your Bean bass. (And no, I don't think maxed out truss rods is a common issue with Musicians — as least not that I've heard of).

So you will actually be gigging this beast? You must be getting it at a great price to be willing to do that. Not that I think there's anything wrong with that, instruments are built to be played, after all. Looking forward to seeing more pics and your impressions of this. :thumbsup:

13. image. I've had this 87 musician bass for a few weeks now and the response I've been getting from my other band members has been very positive.
    I still take my roadstars to practice but use the musician for 90% of the set.

Craig888 likes this.
  14. Just as an fyi there is one of these for sale at this website....not affiliated but bought from them before....

IBANEZ 1991 Made MC924

I so nearly bought it but went with a Stingray instead.

15. I see, you were referring to the one with the broken truss that's been on eBay for a while! No, I wasn't tempted by that.

I didn't see the MC30TH coming either.... :D I wasn't even aware of them a few weeks ago. Discovered them while searching for Super 4 pickups. I saw that they had swamp ash bodies and wondered if they were much lighter. I found that a few of them sold relatively recently or were still for sale. One listed for $8k and two others sold for $3-5k. This one is a fair bit less again. Still a lot for a MC, but it shouldn't have any issues and be as good as they ever were. Most importantly the weight is right for me, which is the main reason for spending the extra. I had decided not to play mine live and stick to the Bean, but having see the MC30TH (and confirming it wasn't too heavy) wanted to know if it worked as well with a band as I thought it would/did. Playing it was really comfortable and the tone is just so even, I knew I'd be wanting to play it all the time. My back hurt for a couple of days afterwards, so I knew that wasn't a sensible option. :rolleyes: So I'm taking a bit of a risk not being able to play this one first, but I've found the high end Japanese stuff to be very consistent in quality and hopefully this really is as good as the best they've ever done. Ibanez claim these are even better than the originals, but I'll consider it a good buy, if it's as good. You'd certainly hope they weren't compromising on an instrument they wanted to sell for over $10k!

When I bought mine in '83, the shop I got it from had a '70s Precision and a Ric 4001 sitting with it. All 3 were selling for $500AU. The second-hand value of the MC was much better than the other 2. The common wisdom at the time was that the high end Japanese instruments were far better. An Ibanez Blazer (which is what I owned for about 9 years after selling my MC) was about 1/3rd the price of a new Precision and generally considered a better instrument. Taking this into account, I think any of the late '70s to late '80s Ibanez are extremely good value. If things had continued like that, we'd be paying US$2k for an MC. Up until the mid '80s, Ibanez didn't make beginners basses (other than Cimar, which they gave a different name so there was no confusion). Their cheapest bass, the Blazer, was at least as good as all but the best Precisions.

16. I haven't seen one of those for sale before. I wonder how those pickups sound?

17. Nice. So is it the same as the one Mark Egan is pictured with at the bottom of the first page? What do you like about the Musician compared to the Roadstar?

18. Part of me wishes I had grabbed it now as I won't be buying a new bass for some time. The Stingray was in Australia so that's what tipped me to that. With some rough calculation this one would cost around $1500AUD including shipping and imports. Looks sweet.
    The ONLY thing I considered was how different these pickups would sound compared to the originals.

19. That's the one trouble with using their own designs. If you don't like them, it's harder to find a neat replacement.

20. They had a nother less common one for sale too. IBANEZ 1985 Made MC924DS with Original Hard Case