1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez Musician Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AphekGreg, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
  2. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Well, you would be a Studio musician, even when out playing live on stage. :)

Goad likes this.
  3. Goad

Goad Grunt for Life

Jun 22, 2015
    Houston
    I'm going to reserve it until they get me some more pictures! We have the original schematics for the pre-amps on these correct?

4. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    This is all I ever found for the Studios. Not sure what is actually on the board.

ST-924 block diagram.

Oh... and the Super T4 pickups are dual-coil humbuckers, with no visible pole pieces.

buteo and Goad like this.
  5. Goad

Goad Grunt for Life

Jun 22, 2015
    Houston
    hopefully they left some of the controls in the cavity, but it doesn't look like it. Weird that the pre-amp would be swapped out but not the pickups. I think this should still be a nice little project!!

6. Goad likes this.
  7. Goad

Goad Grunt for Life

Jun 22, 2015
    Houston
    Assuming I'd have to have the entire pre-amp made from scratch, what would that run me? Option 2: What pickups will fit in those same slots? Are they the same size as Musician pups?

8. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    You'd have to find an original board, or schematic diagram of one first.

And yes, I believe they are the same covers on the pickups but without any holes. But why would you want to change the pickups yet rebuild the original preamp? You might like the pickups and the mods. I remember reading in a forum (probably not this one) about a bass player that just picked up another Musician, but was wanting to trade his Super 4 pickups in it for, or just buy, a couple of the Studio T4 humbuckers. He just liked them better. Sadly, I've never had the pleasure of hearing them for myself.

9. Goad

Goad Grunt for Life

Jun 22, 2015
    Houston
    If the pickups were NOT original, I wouldn't re-build a pre-amp. I'm definable changing the knobs if I get it! I prefer neck thru's for some reason.
    I'm really bummed about not winning the eBay one, but I'm sure more will come around!!

10. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    Recreating the original preamp circuit would only make sense if a) you really, really liked its sound or b) it was all that was keeping the bass non-original if original is your goal. If I got one I think I’d scout around for a versatile and current preamp to install in its place.

11. Goad likes this.
  12. Goad

Goad Grunt for Life

Jun 22, 2015
    Houston
    I'm still on the fence about it....

13. buteo

buteo

Jan 5, 2014
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Actually I find the preamp in my Studio not so usable, so maybe to take it in this condition is not a bad idea at all. Good luck!

14. Goad

Goad Grunt for Life

Jun 22, 2015
    Houston
    so, to ship to my store and purchase is $560. For "Vintage" Gear, the return time is 72 hours, not 30 days. Makes sense. The Manager said I could plug it in, play it, examine it, and take the rear cover off while in the store and if I don't like it, I get a full refund.
    I'm going to give myself till Wednesday to decide.

15. Goad

Goad Grunt for Life

Jun 22, 2015
    Houston
    So you'll trade me? ;)

16. buteo

buteo

Jan 5, 2014
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Nope. I love this bass at it is, with all quirks :).
    But maybe is time to start a Ibanez Studio bass club?

17. I think you could stay with us. :) Pretty small club otherwise.

18. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    I'm a member of the Burns club, and the Michael Kelly club. I didn't think we could get any smaller clubs, but you seem to want to challenge that assumption. :)

AphekGreg likes this.
  19. Hey, I had a Baldwin Bison years ago. Was given to me by a guy who owned a bar that I frequented. Had that bass for probably 20 years and finally decided to sell it on ebay back in 2005. Kinda regret that now...