1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Musician Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AphekGreg, Apr 14, 2016.

1. I thought that one had active pickups, like EMGs. The earlier Musicians were passive basses, with a preamp.

2. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    [​IMG]
    J60 - low impedance pickup with internal preamp

mcca and AphekGreg like this.
  3. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe Supporting Member

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Where is that from?

4. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    1985 ibanez catalog

bjelkeman likes this.
  5. i have planning to use flatwound on my sr1400 mlg bass ,...does anyone ever tried flatwound on nordie big single pickup to get warmer tone ?

6. This group is for the Ibanez Musician model basses. It isn't a general Ibanez group, so don't know that anybody here can help you. There are a few flat wound fans here though.

7. .....Sorry...i dont know "musician" is a brand line from ibanez....i thought this the group that ibanez bassist player discuss somethin

8. The musician is a distinct series of Ibanez basses, most of ‘em two-pickup models but some, like mine, single pickup. To wit, Ibanez Musician Bass Club
    You didn’t say what music you play and I’m sure the pickup on yours differs quite a bit from mine but I’ve liked flats on single pickup basses forever. A couple years ago, right after I got my Epi Jack Casady I installed rounds on the Musician for a few months. It worked well but my preference is flats. I’ve been using TI Jazz Flats with good results though I am going to have a new nut made and install La Bella Deep Talkin’ Bass. Duck Dunn, James Jamerson, jazz standards and I all love [or loved] the warm thump of fat flats.

9. Not a problem. You aren't the first to be confused and I'm sure you won't be the last. :) We're pretty friendly around here and help if we can.

10. thank you brother

ah ncie info,...thanks

AphekGreg likes this.
  11. SpaceJockey

SpaceJockey Gold Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Anyone got an Ibanez ST-824 wiring diagram?
    The arrangement is 2 pickups, 2 volume, 2 tone, 2 coil-split/series/parallel switches, and a pickup selector switch

12. Root 5

Root 5

Nov 25, 2001
    Canada, eh!
    It is active: vol-blend-bass-treble

mcca likes this.
  13. Six or eight years ago I found (online) a German website that had compiled wiring diagrams of Ibanez instruments into a big PDF. When I get home I’ll see if I can unearth it for you. Actually, it may be linked on this thread in one of the low 100s posts. I’ll look at home. [I gotta get a cloud account.]

EDIT: I found it. f2t29p70n2.pdf It looks like there’s more than one version out there but it’s been accurate WRT the few (from the 80s) that I’ve checked out. It includes a lot more than Ibanez instruments and it’s about 7.5 MB.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Wavebird and kablag like this.
  14. SpaceJockey

Feb 1, 2019
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Thanks! It unfortunately doesn't have the model I'm looking for but this is still extremely useful.

15. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Don't think I've ever found a wiring diagram for the ST-824. But passive with two humbuckers — how hard can it be to figure out? Got any useful pics of the control cavity?

16. SpaceJockey

Feb 1, 2019
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Its the coil splitting that has me confused. And I'm unsure which lead is which on the pickups without a wiring diagram. All but one of the pots were shot and so I had the bright idea to rewire the entire thing with new pots and switches, except for the original pickup selection switch (that may be the issue here). But I must have made a mistake somewhere cause I'm getting no sound whatsoever now.
    20190616_120415.

I found a wiring diagram from an MC300 which seems to be mostly the same, but the color of the leads are different so it's only but so helpful.

Attached Files:

17. Srza

Srza

May 3, 2009
    Makarska, Croatia
    Hello guys.
    I became the owner of a wonderful Ibanez Musician mc924 bass.
    I'm interested in one thing. What type of strings do you put on your musicians? On my are old Ken Smith stainless steal medium light (44 - 102). I noticed that the stings are standing very high, because if I put them down there is a buzz.
    Thanks for the info and tips.

P. S.
    Sorry about my bad English.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  18. Welcome to talkbass! Your English is fine. The MC924 is an excellent bass and I’m sure you’ll enjoy playing it.

The strings you have are probably good but it sounds like your bass needs a setup (adjustment). Many kinds of strings are used on Musician basses because different players like different feelings or sounds. Take the bass to a good technician for a proper setup. If you plan to use different strings tell the technician. In time it will be worth your while to learn how to set up your bass by yourself.

Good luck!

19. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Ah... so that's no longer the original wiring in the pic?

Well... give me a minute to try and figure it out...

Oh...are the coil tap switches two- or three-position switches?

(And I hate to say it, but if this is completely rewired and no sound at all, I'd start over again, one pickup at a time, testing every step of the way.)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  20. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    GHS Precision flats on my 924 fretted, La Bella 760FM flats on my 940 fretless, and some TI Jazz flats for the root strings and some D'Addario rounds for the octave strings on my 980 8-string. All tuned to S-standard.