1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Musician Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AphekGreg, Apr 14, 2016.

1. SpaceJockey

SpaceJockey Gold Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2019
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    That's the original wiring. I rewired it in the same configuration, or so I thought. I'm having trouble chasing down the issue.

The coil tap switches are 3-position.

2. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Red, white, blue and shield wires from pickups? (Perhaps also a black wire, to ground?) Do the switches look something like this?

3. kablag

kablag

Feb 2, 2018
    Russia, Moscow
    Today I saw another video where fretless Musician is used - Colin Moulding from XTC.
    Looks like it was not posted here before...
    Great bassist and great band by the way :)

AphekGreg, Craig4003 and Janforth like this.
  4. I hadn't seen that. Great song. Was just playing that to my daughters a few weeks ago.

It just occurred to me, that a lot of UK bands around that period were using Musicians. I wonder if there was a reason for that (other than them being great)? The Police, U2, Fleetwood Mac, XTC and Spandau Ballet, off the top of my head. Probably others. Phil Lynott of Thin Lizzy played Roasters and Blazers.

Quite a number of Australian bands used Musicians too. I'm told that Peter Gifford, the bassist in Midnight Oil recorded with a musician, while playing an early '60s Precision live.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  5. Sorry, I forgot to reply to this one earlier. Personally, I prefer stainless steel round wounds too. I think Musicians sound good with pretty much anything though. Just depends on what sound you like.

6. kablag

kablag

Feb 2, 2018
    Russia, Moscow
    I play Musician with nylon tapewound most of time. Sounds good and no buzz at all in very low position.
    Now I temporary use round wound.

7. Janforth

Janforth Father of Chritobin Madden Challenge 19 Champion Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2009
    DR Sunbeams 45-105

8. SpaceJockey

Feb 1, 2019
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Yes, there is also a pair of black ground wires.
    I'm unable to view the image at the link you provided for some reason

9. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Sorry. Not much of a pic (and also for a guitar), but shows switch and pickup wiring clearly. Attached here:

ST300 schematic.JPG

How about a pic of the rewired cavity for comparison?

10. Just a few of the Aussie Musician players in the 80's..Geoff Turner-The Radiators..Richard Pleasance-Boom Crash Opera..James Freud-The Models...Michael Hegarty-Richard Clapton Band..Rusty Marsh-After Hours..''Spole''-Dee Minor and Dischords..

AphekGreg likes this.
  11. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    See that one screw hole (towards the bottom right in the pic) with bare metal showing? Right there. It's just a ground wire. Actually I think one of the screw holes in the body itself should have a little of the shielding foil extend over the hole. I believe it's just to make sure the actual cover is grounded to provide a good shield.

12. Core East

Core East

Nov 17, 2014
    Thanks a lot

13. hooky_marr

hooky_marr Supporting Member

Hi, latecomer to this thread -- looking to do something similar, creating 3D printed "shells" to mount commercially available pickups underneath - for an RB999... How did your project turn out? (Sorry, will go back and reread the thread later!)

14. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Did you ever get this sorted out? Inquiring minds want to know...

15. SpaceJockey

Feb 1, 2019
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    Not yet, I've had to put it on the back burner because of work but I hope to get back to working on it sometime this week.

That schematic you posted is for an active instrument, this one is passive though. Here is the diagram I used as a reference when I rewired the bass. The only difference I could spot when comparing to how the bass came to me was that the wiring colors for the pickup leads are different. 1000873.

EDIT: I'm realizing there are some details I overlooked in the diagram that are slightly different from my bass. The tone capacitor wiring is different, for one.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 1:40 PM
  16. Abner

Abner

Jan 2, 2011
    Mississauga
    Indeed it is, but I thought the tri-tone switches would have been wired up the same. But I see now after looking back at your original internal pic that at least one of the terminals on the switches was not used at all, so more closely matches the diagram you used. (But you may be able to use that ST diagram to figure out pickup wiring colour codes.)

Passive tone controls can be wired up in many different ways. Basically a capacitor in series with a variable resistor, placed across the output. Whether the resistor (pot) or capacitor comes first makes no difference. Again looking at your original pic, they look fine as is.

Sorry I haven't been of much help so far. Keep us posted.

17. Deedee1

Deedee1

Jan 13, 2013
    England
    Sorry I should have posted an update on this sooner.

The tech was able to remove the original distorted cover and save the original pickup. The new 3D printed cover was rubbed down smooth so there was no need for a celluloid skin on top. Holes were drilled to suit the original pickup pole pieces and it was repainted to match the original finish. I'm sure you'll agree he did a great job.

4. 10. 13. 15.

18. SpaceJockey

Feb 1, 2019
    Norfolk, VA, USA
    I appreciate that you were willing to help. I did learn some things along the way through your responses.

The last component that I will replace is the pickup selector switch. I didn't replace it before, cause I had trouble finding an appropriately sized part. If that doesnt fix it, I may just use some stuff I've got lying around from bases I've stripped and put a 3 band active preamp in this thing

Abner likes this.
  19. hooky_marr

hooky_marr Supporting Member

Thanks very much! I'll peruse upthread for files and other details. I'm probably going to modify this into a "shell" I can mount a standard pickup underneath. Was there a shapefile for the J6 pickup as well?

Deedee1 likes this.