Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PBFACTOR, Mar 13, 2002.

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    i have a chance to buy and old ibanez musician bass. anyone have any experience with them. i think i can get it for about $375.00. i don't know what year and the vintage ibanez web site wasn't much help. it has 2 big single coil pickups and is active(seperate 9v batt. compartment).
  2. oozon

Aug 11, 2001
    Sweden, Malmo
    I've got an old ('84) Ibanez Musician that I have had since it was new. It's darn heavy but the construction is pretty good. It sports athrough body neckmade of 3 pieces of maple with two walnut stripes and an ebony fretboard. The body wings are made out of dense ash. It's got a quite loud tone acoustically, but a typical hardwood one. I never liked the original PUs and the electronics so after a few years I put on a set of Bill Lwarence Jazz Bass style humbuckers. It retained much of the sound that I didn't like so after couple of years still I replaced the preamp and the PUs with EMG JB PUs and an EMG premp. After that, slapping began to sound really good and sound engineers liked it alot for that slap tone. Finger style tone lacked focus and growl though in the low and low mid registers so a couple of years ago I slammed in a couple of Kent Armstrong MM-style humbuckers with parallel/single coil switches and now it sound pretty cool. It's many years since I used it as my main axe and the neck is not very straight so it's ususally strung up with piccolo bass strings or as a tenor bass. The one you're looking at could be older, if it has exposed pole pieces, or newer if the PUs look like EMG soap bars. The 83-84 models had a JB and a PB pickup although they looked like soap bars of different sizes.

Hope you find any of this useful

3. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I had one with the two different size humbuckers. It was a fun bass - a very comfortable neck and sounded pretty good too. They were very nice in their day and had some visibility (Sting used one for a while). I think if the neck is straight and you like how it sounds and feels they are nice. I hated the v-shaped strap buttons - impossible to get my straps on (I put straplocks on it while I had it).
  4. I have a 1979 Musician that I bought brand new. They are super basses, very versatile and very well made. I don't know why they never caught on more than they did; people that usually don't like Ibanez often say that the older Musicians were good. I paid a little less than $600 for it, and that was in 1981. I'll never sell mine. It's just got too much sentimental value, plus it is a great sounding bass.

Mike J.
  5. Whoa sorry guys, I forgot to add that somewhere at the vintage Ibanez site there's an icon: Dating older Ibanez models, or something to that effect.
    That's how I found out that mine was a 1979 model.

Mike J.
  6. I had a very rare Ibanez Artist EQ bass (prolly sometime around 1980 or 1981) These were very similiar to the Musician series except the electronics were different. Bought it new with a trade-in and it was still over $1000! About a year later, I couldn't keep up the payments and traded it back in and got my fretless Fender P back.

When I got back into the bass thing, I started putting feelers out for these basses. Tough to find in good condition but they are worth every penny. Ebay usually has them between $300 and $450 so your price is within reason. They are remarkably nice instruments and marked the seperation between the usual clones Ibanez produced and their own designs. If all is well with the hardware and finish then you've got a nice bass for a decent price.
  7. oozon

Aug 11, 2001
    Sweden, Malmo
    Hey Michael
    Do you happen to sit on a link to the vintage Ibanez site you mentioned that you could share with us?

8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Just my own $ 0.02...

A long time ago, I had an Ibanez Blazer Bass. Very affordable, good playability, sounded fine, cost-effective.

Among the low-priced basses I've owned, it was definitely the best of all.

The Musician series being a superior series than the Blazer, and the price of $ 375 being rather low, I guess you won't go wrong going with it, depending on its condition of course.

All the best,
  9. well I'm not Michael, but here are a few links, the first is IMO the best Vintage Ibanez site on the net.....

there you go.....
  10. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I had a Musician for about 6 years...used to professionally at the time. Great bass, would buy one again if I could get it for $350. Unfortunately, just shipping to here costs $260....
  11. bargee1759

Feb 8, 2011
    Hi all, I have 2 of these bases, a 1982 polar white MC 924PW fretted that I've owned since 1983 & a 1982 genuine MC940DS fretless that I've had for about 8 years now. They both play like new, although the fretted has the odd scrape & could really do with the frets dressing. The fretless was still like brand new when I bought her, an unbelievably lucky find! That's my main bass now & it's superb. I have to agree though, they are damn heavy but have a beautifully warm, rich tone, great sustain & are very versatile. They're much better build quality than the equivalent year-for-year Fender (I bought my first Musician because I couldn't believe the difference compared to the 1983 Jazz that I originally went in to buy, yet they were similar money!) If only they made a 5 string. Looks like I might end up back with a Jazz 5 after all! Sorry guys, the Musicians are staying too though!
  12. smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    As the bass you're looking at has a separate compartment for the battery, it isn't one of the first generation Musicians. And since it has 2 big pickups, it isn't the 2nd generation. So I assume the bass you're looking at is this? -

Though I haven't played one of those mid-80's Musicians, I do own 2 of the 2nd generation models that preceded these. I will say that the Musician line of basses are superbly made and great sounding/playing basses. Though these late model musicians aren't as valuable as the others, $375 is still a good price.
  13. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Dude, the OP posted his bit eight years ago; somehow, I don't think he's still looking for advice on this.
  14. smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA

Who would bump a thread this old!!!?
  15. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    bargee1759, apparently.
  16. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

A friend had a yellow Ibanez Musician made in 1982 that I absolutely loved. Sadly, it was miserably stolen. Based on my experience both setting up and playing the instrument, I can tell for sure that it's an awesome bass which, BTW, has my all-time absolutely favorite headstock. The 24-fret ebony fingerboard is an added plus (to me). Highly recommended.