Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Musician....I bought one!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BustinJustin, Jun 24, 2004.

1. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Ok so I wandered into GC yesterday just to waste some time.

Well with a thinner wallet and a big grin I now own a MC900 MINT! Killer bass, great tonal options! Plays like a vintage bass! Weighs like 500lbs...... really!

I'll post the org ad (thanks to jondog) as I don't have any pics of mine yet.

Ok now I need some help.
    Can anyone clean this ad up...enough to read at least?

FYI~ I am not an Ibanez guy at all. In fact I hated em.... but these vintage ones are killer basses!

Mike, maybe I can be the cole slaw master? No? ....Ok :( :D

2. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    and another pic... better maybe...

Now I'm not sure if it's a 900, 924 or whatever....

hollar

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    The fact that Ibanez made such nice instruments back in the day is what I find most disappointing about their current models.

4. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Agreed 100%

5. Yes, if there ever was an example of quality degradation for the sake of the dollar, it would be right here with Ibanez. I mean, Fender chose to run with the lower end market by using Mexican labor - Where would someone like Ibanez go?

6. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Congrats! There are a couple of guys here with Ibanez Musicians, me being one of them. I can certainly relate to that 'weighs 500lbs' bit! I think the 924's are active and have a 3-band EQ section and the 900's don't, but don't quote me on that. Anyways, I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

7. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I too would like to find one of those.

Nice score. Do you know what year it is?

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrads Justin, i cant wait to play it :D

9. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I think it's a 79.

10. I agree. I have a '79 RoadstEr - with an E, not a RoadstAr with an A - and it is terrific. I call it my Frankenstein, because I have added all sorts of things like EMG pickups, BTS and midrange control, made it 18 volt, Schaller bridge, etc.

Very cool instruments.

11. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    There is a local mom & pop shop here in Colorado Springs that has one of these, I believe it is a 924. Bit of buckle rash on the back but a nice bass all in all. If memory serves their asking something like $549 for it.

Here's their site: http://www.coloradomusicexchange.com/

It's a great store, and I try to give Kevin there as much business as I can.

If anyone is interested, I'll be happy to go take a pic of it and email it to ya.

:^)~

12. ON MAN !!! That is extra-cool !!!

Excellent score, Justin! :hyper:

I think mine weighs 600lbs. They are heavy, but they sound great. I was just lucky enough to buy mine when I did, and never sold it. As someone who has owned one for 23 years, I can attest to their time-tested construction and workmanship. The only minor problem with mine is that sometimes the 3 way switch is scratchy.

Justin, to determine your bass' age, this is Ibanez' formula if the instrument was made (or you believe it was made) before 1987:

The first letter = the month

A = January
    B = February, et cetera.

The next two digits = the year of manufacture.

The next four digits = the instrument's production # for that month.

My bass' serial # is H795066, so that translates as being made in:

H = August
    79 = 1979
    5066 = 5066th instrument made by Ibanez during August of 1979.

There's a different formula if the instrument was made after 1987. I posted it here about 2 months ago in another Musician thread. I don't have it with me now, but I can write it down again tonight, or just search for an Ibanez Musician thread dated April or May.

So this means that there should be two Ibanez Musicians, and two Jack Casadys at the get-together! UNBELIEVABLE! :hyper:

Mike :cool:

Justin, I'll answer your PM later, probably after 5 O'clock. Busy, busy here. ;)

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

They look alittel like a Wal bass and they seem to have the weight issue in common too.

14. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    One of the great basses that never really caught on.They come on ebay about one every other month.I could have gotten one for 300 dollars with shipping once, but I have alot of basses.There was a doctor from England who had a mint one in the pearl white, but he wanted a bit more for his.They went from about '78-'84 or so before they changed the style.They were way ahead of the other active basses at the time, one of the first with neck through body also.I believe they started to cut the weight down by the end of their run in the mid 80's.Good luck with it.

15. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Thanks guys... she is a keeper!

Mike- I did read you posts from the past (Dr. Who maybe?).
    Good stuff man, you know everything there is to know bout these things!

16. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I FREAKIN LOVE MINE!!!!
    [​IMG]

17. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Funkster~
    Nice pic man! Your bass is killer. So I'm in the club now huh?

18. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    If it has the 3 band EQ it's a MC924 - I've had mine since 79 also - great bass ,but I don't use it much anymore - I had it posted on the TB for sale section along with my 1980 ST980 but never got a chance to finish the sale . I just got back last week from Iraq and I am just starting to catch up on things here at TB . I will be probably be posting it again in the TB classifieds

19. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    You bet brutha, It's an elite club, I'll show ya the secret musician club handshake :D , Show pics when you get them, Mike ;) , Where going to have to have a Ibanez Musician TB GTG at some point...
    Enjoy

fcoda pm me when you list yours to sell, I might make you a offer.....

20. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    Thank you sir!
    It's confirmed I have the 924!