ibanez musician pickup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by steviecsg, Apr 22, 2004.

1. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    anyone knows if the pickups on the ibanez musician circa 1986 were active?

this particular bass has a small headstock, downsized body, 2 soapbar pickups and std 4 control layout vol pan bass treble.

2. If it has a pan, bass and treble controls, I'd say it's active. The only Musician model that I know of that wasn't active was a model they put out with only one pickup, (Stingray position) one volume and one tone control. And I think this model only lasted a year or two. I can't remember the model # right now.

I don't think the pickups were active, only the EQ.

3. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    that's precisely what i assumed when i went for the preamp change. but the tech whose doing the rewiring for me says that there are extra wires coming out from the pickups, so he has a hunch that they are indeed active pickups

4. I have a 1985 ibanez musician bass. Its indeed active, seeing as how it has a battery case. Oddly enough, the pickups still have a sticker on them that say "low impedance". I'm not sure about the specifics of the pickups, but it has two soapbar pickups like described and also 4 control knobs, though they are for volume on each pickup and tone for each pickup.

I'm not sure if any of that will help at all, but it was made in october of 85', so unless they changed it for the next year, or its a different model or something, it should be active.
    SherpaKahn likes this.
  5. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    The mc888 1984 model I can say is passive. I own it.