Ibanez Musician (who owns one?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Las Olas, May 16, 2004.

1. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK

Just wondering what you thought of your Ibanez Musician - particularly around 1980s models, as I'm looking to pick a second hand one up.

Also, does anyone have it in "pearl" finish? If so, could you please post a picture? I would be very grateful!

Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your basses :)

phyrstmpulse likes this.
  2. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got a '79 w/ barts and a Kahler trem. It's awesome! Do a search for MC-924, you'll find lots of posts from people who feel the same way I do.
  3. I owned an Ibanez MC824 in pearl finish several years ago, but parted with it. It was more of a frogbelly colour... just a hint of gold in the white pearl finish which matched the gold h/w beautifully. It was a fine instrument, but heavier than either of my current Wal basses.

I believe that Funkster has (or had) an identical one.
  4. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Like this one?
    This is one of my favorite basses right now, It shares the number one spot with a few others that I own!!
    I think they are the best bang for the buck going right now...
    Buy it!! If you don't buy it, tell me where I can make a offer for it...LOL
  5. Yes! EXACTLY like that one! :bassist:
  6. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Looks very snazzy! Thanks very much for the help guys. Whats the sound like? Quite modern?
  7. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA

You can get some modern tones out of it, It does a nice Jbass bark, The pre has a sweet mid,bass,treble boost. Nice slap tone, Awesome pick tone. It can definitly get down and gritty when needed also.
  8. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    For some reason whenever i see a Musician i always associate it with pick playing, i dont know why?
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is that neck pickup have the pole pieces of a P pickup? In the shape of a MM?
  10. that thing is sweet. and coming from me, that means a whole lot, because i have never been a fan if ibanez.
  11. Las Olas

Las Olas

Apr 20, 2003
    Scarborough, UK
    Cool, glad to hear good reports. I have never been a fan either but got the Doug Wimbish DWB3 recently and I love it - best bass Ive owned in years!
  12. My dad took me to the Bass Player, Sydney, when i was 14 and to his eternal credit Carl picked out an Ibanez Musician for me......

I wish I had never sold it, but the pearl white was too much for me.......

Thanks dad.
  13. Way back, I had a Musician but it was a very limited run that had the moniker of "Artist EQ". That was on the truss rod cover. Essentially it was a musician (1980 I believe) with a parametric EQ. Mine was all natural wood - 5 in all and the first ebony fretboard I'd ever played. I chose it because of the similiarities to Alembic. I know, there really aren't many, but I was a young buck and didn't know better.

I wish I still had it but I'm searching for one.
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I had one like that in the 80s and I was alwasy impressed with how it said : made by the proud people of Ibanez in Japan, on the back!"! ;)

It was a great sounding bass - but heavy, as has been mentioned. I used mine when I was gigging with rock/pop bands and it lasted foe years - but then I went over to keyboards a lot and leant it to a friend who was touring with the Levellers round Europe. He put heavy-gauge strings on it and when it came back, the neck was bowed like a banana!! :mad:

I was able to adjust the russ rod to make it better, but it was never as good as before and I sold it very cheaply!! :(
  15. Dublin-Bass

Dublin-Bass Guest

Sep 24, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland
    Me too, I suppose because the most players I've seen using
    them were pick users, including Sting and Adam Clayton of U2
    (he used it in their 'Live Under a Blood Red Sky' video).
  16. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    My Musician has the best tone, when played with a pick.
    It has excellent overall tone but it's the sh$# when digging in with a heavy guage Herco through a vintage SVT...
  17. OK, we're all agreed - Ibanez needs to make re-issues of these basses.

18. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I have one as well. The Bean model I got a couple of weeks ago. Great bass. I have several vintage Ibanez basses and they're all great in their own way.

Musicians are the cream of the crop though.