Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Musician

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by craigb, Apr 5, 2001.

1. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

In the Casady vs. Rumblefish thread I mentioned that I might be trading my abg for a Musician. Well I did and it's a pretty nice bass. At this point I'm not sure if it's going to be staying for a while or just passing through - only time will tell.

It's a neck through with 24 frets. The quality seems very good. Active and passive operation, two pickups and lots of controls (controls don't scare me, my main bass is a G&L L-2000). It's a metallic black that is pretty much identical to my "sparkle black" G&L and is in pretty darn good shape for it's age with just a few chips.

It sounds good - pretty much like a P-J type bass (the pole pieces are in a P-J pattern so that makes sense).

I've go more pictures and information http://freeweb.pdq.net/boeker/temp/ibanez/ibanezmusician.htm

Sorry for the picture quality but here it is: [​IMG]

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    congrats on getting a great bass, Craig. I once owned a musician just like yours, gun metal gray-ish finish and all. I think it's one of the finest bass models to come out of the Ibanez, period. Enjoy your bass.

Will C.:cool:

3. CraigB, don't sell that bass! I agree with Big Wheel
    100%. I f you give this bass half a chance, you'll find just how versatile it is. I'm going out on a limb here, but if you fool around with its EQ and your amp, you can get Alembic and Musicman type sounds out of it.

To all Alembic and Musicman owners: Note that I said *Type sounds*

This was also a very underrated bass. I believe this bass was first produced a few years after Ibanez was recovering from the vertigo of its lawsuit loss to Gibson and Fender for making copies of their guitars that were so good... It required a lawsuit to stop them.

Keep it! Just my pair o'pennies.

Mike J.

P.S. Let me know if you want the EQ settings I was talking about.

4. craigb

You know, I've only had it a couple of days and it's growing on me really quickly. Although I ended up not liking previous "narrow nut/neck" basses I've had this one is more comfortable than my L-2000. And that's pretty important to me. By itself I like the sound a lot but it wasn't cutting through the band as well as my L-2000 last night at practice. But then again it's still got the slightly rusted, who-knows-how-old strings on it and has the action very low (I'm more of a medium to high action guy myself).

I've pretty much convinced myself to string it up with a fresh set of strings, set it up to my liking and play it for a while. I may still be in that "new bass honeymoon" period but time will tell.

It's funny. I traded for it fully expecting to sell it off quickly for something else (like an Epi JC sig). It has many features I've not liked in the past (narrow neck, painted neck) and others I "think" I don't like (neck-through) and is a brand I don't much care for (I had an Ibanez Soundgear 400 for a while). Now I'm finding it's the most comfortable bass I've had and sounds pretty darn good with the active/passive pickup pair. It goes to show that I should be judging the individual basses on their own merits and not worrying about features/specs as much.

I'd laugh if this funky old bass I traded for expecting to sell became my favorite (out of 2). Then I'd want one of the one-pickup versions (GAS never goes away).

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    My turn to agree with MJ 100% I didn't remember instantly, but .
    I once saw some '80s Miles Davis footage and Miles' bassist at the time (Felton Crews) was playing a white Ibanez Musician. Made me wish I hadn't sold mine.

Will C.:cool:

6. craigb

Well after a couple days of extensive side-by-side testing I came to a couple of conclusions:

1) I love the sound of my L-2000's neck pickup - it's what I was looking for when I traded in/sold/returned my Stingray, American P Deluxe and Carvin B4. The Musician doesn't quite do that sound. It can come close with some EQing but it's not the same.
    2) The Musican slap/pops better than the L-2000. But that's not a big concern for me since I can barely do it enough to tell. It's not high on my list of things to learn (it's on there, just not very high).
    3) The Musician feels slightly better. It's probably got the smallest neck I would be comfortable with - any smaller and I'd get the "cramping" feeling I get with any really skinny neck.
    4) The Musican's advantages aren't nearly enough to make me prefer it to my L-2000. And they cover pretty much the same sonic ground.

So the Musician gets one more chance tomorrow night. I expect that I'll come to the conclusion that I prefer the L-2000 and would rather sell it and go in a different direction. I'm more-or-less a "one bass" kinda guy (not that my wife would agree with the number that have passed through the house) so I may not even go the Epi JC route. I may go with a used G&L for a backup/leave-at-work bass (same feel, possibly same sound if it's an L-2000 or ASAT) or since I have an interest in bass building I may go with a Carvin kit (I'm leery of going straight to Warmoth-type parts because I don't think I'm ready to try doing a fret level and don't have a local luthier to turn to).

So in a few days you may see an "Ibanez Musican available" post in For Sale.

7. I agree with the others, that Ibanez is a very good bass. My only complaint is with the pickups, which I think are a little weak sounding. I think you should keep it as a back up and look at upgrading the pickups.

8. craigb

Well, it's going to go. After extensive (~7-8) hours of head-to-head comparisons this weekend I realized that the L-2000 makes the sound I want to hear. The Musician would never get played. I'm a one-bass kind of guy and should probably just get another G&L as a backup/office bass. Anybody have an L2000, L1000, L1500, ASAT or SB-2 they want to trade?

my listing in forsale:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=15268

9. Craig, I told my Ibanez that you're getting rid of his brother, and he's very sad, but, C'est La Vie. At least you gave it a chance.

Mike J.

10. Nice looking bass. If it plays good I would hang on to it. It's got a unique look to it.

11. craigb

Count - you are right, it does look unique (and good). I'm starting to like 2+2 headstocks better than 4 inline (but 3+1 still looks best to me). My gear budget is limited and I don't really want to have a bunch of different basses, I want to have a couple that get played a lot.

Mike J. - I apologize for making your bass sad. Want to adopt his brother? ;) It's a very nice bass and hopefully I can make one of those people who are sorry they let their Musician's go happy by selling them one. Then I can buy another G&L and stop. Stop looking at basses, stop thinking about "what to get next", stop the madness. OK, so it's never going to happen but I can talk a good story.

12. Craig, I would love to take that Musician off your hands, but I already have one. Plus, my Casady should have been my 5 string so I have to stay focused and get a 5 er. Also my Fretless Jazz is getting jealous because I haven't been playing him that much because of that gosh dern hum. New pickups are comming soon.

To anyone else interested: If you've been reading this thread you can see how a lot of us feel about The Musician. Someone buy it!

Mike J.