Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez Musician

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Basstyra, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Well tell me all you know about it ! :D

I'm just about to get one, so any information would be appreciated . I searched the forum but didn't find anything really helpful (EDIT : searched further, I found some thread about ! :) )

"Mine" is defretted.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Numerous occasions I've played them and almost walked away with 'em, but frankly the ideas Guitar Center have about pricing are quite scary.

3. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Well, I spent the day playing it. It's a great fretless bass, really !

Anyone has an idea how to date them ? How much do they cost ? (I found some prices on ebay, but they were really diversified...)

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I really like mine, it's a '79 (fretted).
    They are generally heavy basses, but that is what gives them their tone. I like to say the sound and feel is alot like an Alembic, very bright and zingy, with the lows being dark at the same time.

The first 3 digits of the serial number is the date. The first letter has to do with (I think) the month, but the next 2 digits is the year.

I paid somewhere around $600 for mine a couple years ago, near mint original, and original case and case candy.

5. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Great basses! You are about to join the legion with such worthy players as Sting, Adam Clayton, John Entwistle and myself!

Personally, I prefer my musicians passive. I take the battery out so the active/passive switch functions as a mute switch. I find the sound is more organic, and I'm just a passive-loving person anyway. Here are mine:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Fantastic P bass tone, punchy jazz sound - really have the bases covered. Nice necks - great basses. Love em. My fretted was my main bass for ages.

Regards

Mike

6. I owned a 1981 Ibanez Musician labeled as an "Artist EQ" one of about 4?? made that year. It looked similar to McGibneys with different pups but having the 3 band parametric EQ preamp. I will own another some day - an incredible bass.

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I have an 81 MC824 with the dark stained ash body and it's a great bass. I love everything about it, including the price (less than a new SR400) and it's in VG+ condition. Mine's also unusual in that it has a rosewood board where every other one I've seen is ebony. Great neck size, shape and profile (and straight as an arrow after 24 years) and a good variety of tones from deep to quite bright. It's also got understated, classy good looks that'll still no doubt look good in many applications for years.

Here's a bit of info on them
    http://216.250.245.172/vintagepage/musbass.html

8. I love that headstock!
    (Yes, very random indeed.)

~Ryan.

9. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    After some searches, mine is a '80 924, fretless : the frets have been filed. So it still have this incredible looking ebony/abalone inlays neck.

Well, I say mine but it insn't mine yet... Anyway, it's a great bass. My first real fretless if things go well.

I particularly like the boost pot, what a useful thing !!!! Why on earth I never saw such a thing before ?? The passive tonality still usable in active is also quite interesting. And switching from passive to active with the egaliser neutral leaves your tone inchanged, that's great.

I'm also a passive loving man, but when the preamp is great... The ATK's is the greatest I ever tested, but this one is cool too.

I founded this site searching the forum, but thanks anyway ! :)

I have the opportunity to trade this Godin : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jumping-jack/autre/godin/godin.html for this Ibanez. For me it's ok, but the Ibanez owner still hesitates.

10. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I love mine and play it very often, It's in my main rotation!
    [​IMG]

11. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I have a 1986 MC-824. I bought it new when I was in Japan in 1986. '86 was the last year they made Musician, too. Going on 20 years, and this bass STILL rocks hard!! Awesome neck on it. Only work I have ever done on it was a fret resurfacing a few years ago. Otherwise, this bass is rock solid!! And tone that is very, very hard to beat!! I'll never get rid of it!!

12. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Nice site about vintage ibanez. My opinion is no soundgear models hold a candle to the unique sound of these Musicians and Studios...they don't make em like they used to.

My 79 I mentioned above is an MC924, looks exactly like the first one pictured on that site.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. '79 Musician MC924 w/ Khauler Tremolo w00t ::makes whammy noise:: :bassist:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. that first one is the MC900
    [​IMG]
    the MC924 looks a bit differnt
    [​IMG]

15. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    Ive got an 86 MC-920 which has 2 soapbars housing P pickups and a 4 control layout. vol pan treble bass. The body is downsized and much lighter than the MC-924 1982 which I also owned for a while.

16. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Sandman,
    Good eye. It appears I was mis-informed by the shop owner...looks like mine's an MC900. From the two pics sandman posted, my 900 has only the two gibson style volume knobs and three tones knobs, where on the 924 I see there are three gibson style volume knobs and three tone knobs.
    You guys with 3 knobs on the top row, what do they do?
    Mine are volume, and louder volume.

17. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Hm, I searched the forum and found a thread about it, but not this one.

Anyway, thanks all, I'm going to take it, it's a great bass.

18. Trev

Trev

Feb 23, 2004
    Here's my MC924:

[​IMG]

Got it super cheap around this time last year. A lot of wear in regards to the finish, and the electronics needed some work, but overall it was great. In general the 924 has a very P-bass-ish vibe to it - big and thumpy sounding if that makes any sense. The bridge pickup accentuates the hi-mids a little more when you dial it in together with the neck pickup.

[​IMG]

The active 3-band EQ is very usable. I like this bass, but having played it for a year now, I've decided that it's gonna stay home and I'm only gonna use it for recording, because the weight is really an issue, to me at least. It *does* balance well tho, so neck dive isn't a problem, and with a wide strap it gets a little more bearable, but I still find it a little too heavy for my liking.

Very recently, I was just playing that bass along to some CD (forgot which), and the 1st string just flies out of the tuning post. It didnt break or come lose - the post itself came off the machine head (the string was still attached and wound around it). I don't know how to put that back, but I'm considering relacing all 4 tuners anyway.

19. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    Mine has a 3ways switch for the pickup selection, as the 924 on the webpage posted up there. I really like 3ways switches, I had that on my Yamaha Attitude, it's something I would like to have on every 2pickups bass.

Trev, what do the pots ? As you don't have 3ways switch, I think you should miss something, the "boost" pot, maybe ?