Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez neck dimensions... sr885 vs. sr1205?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ransomm, Jul 14, 2002.

1. Ransomm

Ransomm

Jul 3, 2002
    I currently have an Ibanez sr885, I would like to know if the neck dimensions are different from the Ibanez sr1205 that I am considering. I am not able to find an sr1205 locally to compare.

Any help appreciated.

PJ

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    According to several years of Ibanez catalogs I have, all the SR neck dimensions are standardized. (i.e. - SR5's have the same neck, no matter if a 305 or a 3005).

If you can get your hands on a 1205, I'd say snatch it up! I love my 1206, and the overall quality (wood/electronics/hardware) is far above my 800 four-string. Good luck. :D

3. Ransomm

Ransomm

Jul 3, 2002
    Scarred 2112,

What would you say is a good price to pay for a 1205? Does your 1206 have a 5 or 6 piece neck? What finish on the body?

thanks,

Ransomm

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    6 piece neck? that seems kind of odd...multi-lam ibanez basses have 5 piece necks

5. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yeah I don't think they make even number piece necks. Its only like 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc.

But I could be wrong...

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, i have seen 4 piece necks...the grain of the inner two pieces of wood are at 45 degree angles to one another to increase stiffness...these two pieces are flanked by two pieces of quartersawn wood. the next time you see a warwick bolt-on, look down the neck at the headstock. ;)

7. Ransomm

Ransomm

Jul 3, 2002

8. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Ransomm,

The necks on the 1200 series are 5-peice maple/walnut laminate. From my experience they're as sturdy as you can get without moving to graphite. I'm currently living in the Cincinnati area, where the humidity is pretty intense and still only have to adjust the truss rod 2-3 times a year.

All the 1200's I've seen have either a natural or turquoise finish. My six has the natural finish, which actual has more of a "golden" tint than a true natural finish (but less than some brown-ish gold examples I've seen. There's a good deal of variation out there).

As for price, I'd recommend staying in the $500-$600 area (depending on the condition). You also might want to budget for aftermarket electronics, as the stock Ibanez pickups aren't the greatest.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions you might have. :D