Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ibanez neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b0nes83, Nov 30, 2001.

1. b0nes83

b0nes83

Dec 14, 2000
    well I have had my Ibanez SR800 for about 4 years now. I rarely play it because of the cirrus i got 2 years ago. I really want to get a fretless right now but dont have the money. and i was wondering if i should get the fretts taken out of the bass or if i should buy a new fretless neck..please help me out here. peace
    p.s. i think this is my 100th post. yepee
    chad

2. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    yup. ive got an SR800A myself, and i dont play it much either, so it has become a project bass. if youre not playing it, and you want a fretless, why not?? If you dont have any esperience, I wouldnt take the frets out yourself without some serious research. I am not the one to know how to do it. Other people on this site will know how to defret a bass. You might also want to try to find a luthier in town thats skilled, and just pay them to do the job for you, and then fill the slots, and coat the fretboard. You probably want to coat that board with something tough, as strings will eat through rosewood i think. You could always have a neck made, but i dont know of any manufacturers who make necks for the SR series, so they would hafta do a custom job... lotsa $$$. good luck!