1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez or Dean

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rbx200, Aug 9, 2012.

sr300 or edge q4

Poll closed Aug 16, 2012.
  1. Ibanez sr300

25 vote(s)
    75.8%
  2. Dean edge q4 (emg-hz)

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  1. rbx200

rbx200

Jul 30, 2012
    Belfast
    Played both and like both so how do I decide?
    What is hardware etc like on each?

2. grifo21

grifo21

May 29, 2012
    Illinois
    The tuners and bridge on my SR300 are rock solid and I love the tonal versitality and consistancy of it, the neck is slim and fast playing as all SDGR basses should be, and it just looks badass IMO

3. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets

Dec 25, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    +1
    But the Dean Edge basses are great as well. Decide which will be more comfortable playing standing up for a full rehearsal/gig. This is just as important as tone.

4. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    easy poll ....Ibanez!

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    They're both great sounding basses, but personally I would choose Ibanez. Ibanez soundgear basses are very versatile, really awesome sounding, and they're pretty affordable. as an Ibanez, I would recommend the Ibanez sr300. these basses has such a sweet sound. I use to own an Ibanez sr305. I've been thinking about buying it again.

6. I have and Ibanez and a dean. They're different (not in same price bracket) but hands down, for me, would be the Ibanez.

7. I like my Dean although it still leaves me feeling....eh. My Fender Jazz is my main player, real sweet, great tone, very versatile, slim neck, in quilted flame luv it. tr My gui**** has an Ibanez sr300, I just picked it up several days ago after feeling like playing something different, and the Ibanez was BOOMING! So much more than the Jazz with Seymour Duncan pu's, dont know what pu's were on the Ibanez but Im now on a mission to aquire one for me self. Until then his is as good as mine and next rehearsal Im going to really kick its tires. lol. Thats my vote!

8. crazyfaux

crazyfaux

May 24, 2012
    I like the Ibanez basses better. Dean doesn't feel as solid IMO.

9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    +1. I've always felt every Dean I've played felt "breakable".

10. c_maj

c_maj

Jun 24, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    I ditto this response, especially the bold.

11. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Any ibanez bass in the sr300+ area is amazing. And are probably the best for the money, especially if you shop used. The dean edge is also a very nice bass but other than that I found the rest of their models to be cheapish

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Nuther vote for the Ibanez SR300. You may need to put some locktite on the bridge saddle screws. They have much history of using overly thin screws for those saddles. Which means the bridge saddles will slowly creep downward from vibration. I used a little bit of elmers glue around the screws then reinstalled to fix the ones on mine. Didnt have locktite that day. But it worked fine. I simply let it dry overnight before playing it anymore. I did adjust saddles a little later for personal preferance. Since I didnt take the time to dial in their setting perfect when I first reisntalled the screws with elmes on them. But even with adjusting screws some they never crept down again after that.

13. BigRedBassPlayer

BigRedBassPlayer Supporting Member

Ibby. But, then again, I've never played a Dean I personally got along with.

14. Chico16

Chico16

Apr 2, 2012
    Yuma, Az
    The Ibanez SR300 come with CAP EXF-N2 pick ups. This is what should've been on it unless your friend, or someone before him, switched them out. Ibanez makes killer basses. I myself own the SR605 which comes with MK-1 Bartolini pick ups and I LOVE that bass! Just recently put a set of Chromes on it to try out the world of flats, so far it's sounding better and better everyday!! Long story short, my vote is for the Ibanez 100%

15. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

Sep 30, 2008
    Texas
    Most people vote for what they own!
    I have owned six of the Ibanez basses and they were all 34" scale except for one BTB and that may matter to you?
    I have a dean Edge 5 fretless that has a 35" scale (a must have for me) and real Gotoh tuners and good sounding electronics and
    I don't think there is a right or wrong choice here.

16. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Pardon me, I was meant to say as an Ibanez guy, I would recommend the Ibanez sr300.

17. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    There's also the Ibanez sr250. I own one and the Ibanez sr255 and they sounded pretty cool. real decent for the price.

18. I almost bit on a ibanez sr300 recently. I went to guitar center and was all ready to buy one. They had 2 different ones, the first had broken knobs so I moved on to the second which had scratchy pots. YMMV, but it was enough to make my rethink my choice. I would still pick the ibanez over dean though out of personal preference, just make sure everything works well before you leave the store or before your return period is over.

19. Definitely the Ibanez. I really like Dean guitars, but it's almost like the Gibson situation. Some people love their basses, but not the majority.

20. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Ibanez all the way! Much better bass for the money in every aspect. With Dean, I have yet to play a Dean that I like. I don't know what it is about them but I can't stand there tone, craftsmanship or anything about them.