1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez or Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by aviador, Mar 10, 2008.

1. aviador

aviador

Feb 9, 2008
    I have an Ibanez SR500 and I 'm thinking to sell it for buying a Highway 1 P-bass, but I don't know if I will do the right!
    Which do you think is better of them?
    I like Fender's shape but I am not sure if the Highway 1 is better than my SR500.
    Guys, I need your help...

2. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Neither is better, they are different. A P-bass sounds like a P-bass. The Ibanez will do more tones than a P-bass, but its a matter of whether you want/need a variety of tones or just a couple. If you want the P-bass sound, you won't be able to get it from the Ibanez. Also, the P-bass will have a thicker neck which effects playability. Some prefer a P-bass neck while others prefer skinnier necks, like the Ibanez has.

Its really up to you and what you prefer. There are advantages and disadvantages either way. I really like the Hwy1 models, so I would say go for it. But, others might disagree. Do what seems right to you.

3. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    I'd personally go with the Fender

I've tried many Ibanez guitars and basses and to be honest, I've find them to be quite bad like their amps.

4. I had the exact same dilemma recently. There are things I like about both brands, but I needed to pick one of them as my primary bass for a new band project.

So I decided to spend an afternoon at Guitar Center comparing them. Keep in mind that my house is a revolving door for bass gear. I have previously owned literally dozens of Fenders, two SR500's, and one SR900.

I went to Guitar Center with a pair of headphones, so I could plug in and really hear the tone of each bass. The store had an SR505 in stock and about 10 different Fenders.

I ended up walking out with a bass I never expected to like - the Geddy Lee Jazz. It just felt great and sounded great. Very nice construction. The Ibanez had the typical Ibanez tone - either you love it or you don't. I don't love it. It's ok, but my ears just prefer the old-school Fender sound. Also, I'm not crazy about the Ibanez look. However, the Ibanez quality is fantastic, the neck is super thin and fast, and it will always be lighter than a Fender.

Do what I did and it will be very educational.

5. Go with the P. Don't get me wrong, I love my GSR200 to death, but I really wish I'd either kept my Squier P or saved up for a Fender instead of trading in the Squier. Just do it and don't look back!!! :bassist:

6. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Fender

7. Easy answer. Go with the Ibanez. For the money, it give you much more. In my opinion, a $700 Fender = a $400 Ibanez. I've owned an SR500 as well as a USA Fender Jazz, and the Ibanez definitely stacks up in terms of quality and sound.

8. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I'm partial to Fender so my vote is biased. :p

9. Fender. I feel it's the kind of bass you can have no dilemma gutting open and modifying the hell out of, or throwing against a wall.

Well, you should go after the tone you want in the end.

10. I'm not a fan of Fender so I'll say go the Ibby............but please have a look at the ATK's before you make up your mind.

11. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    I own both. A GSR-200, and a MIM Jazz. Now with that said I have played a lot of both while working in a music store.

I would say Fender's are more solid in construction, and the Ibanez has a faster action. I really enjoy the growl and punch from my jazz, but I like the versatility of the Ibanez.

One thing I do like better about the Ibanez line is their 5 string bass guitars play a lot better to me, that Fender's 5er's do. Never have cared for Fender 5 string basses.

12. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    I noticed 2 people comparing the GSR200 to the situation at hand... in all fairness to Ibanez, the GSR200 and the SR500 are two completely different animals (they look similar in overall shape, but that's about it).

But, it's also a Hwy 1 in the Fender corner. That is definitely a decision I wouldn't want to make. The best advice has already been given: Get your hands on one of each and keep them there long enough to know you weren't just blinded by the showroom lights.

13. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    Thats why I implied I had played other models of Ibanez at my old job. Even jammed on some old ATK's, ergodyne's (which I love the one with piezo pups) soundgears, etc.

I have also played a boat load of different Fender basses. So I was basing my opinion more or less off my old job than I was off what I own.

Anyway for the same price as a HWY 1 and the SR500, I think ESP has some nice stuff thats as good also. Don'yt pass up ESP or even the LTD stuff. Great stuff often over looked in the bass community.

14. why not compare both at the music store?!

15. Fender. Those ATKs are pretty nice for the price though.

16. i went to a music shop to check out an ibby and fender jazz 5 i ended u with a shecter... havent regretted it since

17. jaypbass

jaypbass

Jun 29, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I purchased a SR505 a while back, it was a great bass but it just didnt do it for me so i kept looking around and tried out a H1 Jazz at GC and MAN did i love it! Totaly kicked the ibby's butt in tone and everything else..... so i traded it, and till this day i do not regret it!!! I still havent found a bass that beats the sound of my H1 jazz....

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I started with an SR400. When I was gigging used an SR800 and SR645. Now I'm all Fender. I've seen the light :)

19. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    When I got back into playing six years ago, I started with an Ibanez SRX500. It had great playability and a fairly wide range of tones with two humbuckers and active EQ, but not one of those tones was as useful in a band mix as a good Fender, whether P or J.

And that's the problem with A/B comparisons in the shop -- you can't tell how it will sound in a band mix. So if that's the goal, I think it's best to go with a "no doubt about it" bass, and the P-bass certainly qualifies.

20. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    Look at your favorite bass players and what they play.