ibanez or fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phoenixdown, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Fender Standard P Bass £339

23 vote(s)
  2. Ibanez ATK 400 £315

17 vote(s)
  3. Ibanez SR700 £ 379

2 vote(s)
  4. other (around £400 maybe £500 at most) please specify

3 vote(s)
  1. phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    ok after trying out quite a few basses i still havent found 1 im really impressed with insted i found 3 and sadly cant afford them all so any help with which would be the safest bet for my new bass would be a great help as i should be going into town soon to buy one.

also i heard the SR700 is called the SR480 in US. its mahogant body with walnut stain finish and P/J pickups with a 3 band eq if that helps
  2. phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    should mention that i play like indie rock like idlewild/biffy clyro or stuff like QOTSA, Finch stuff like that with a pick
  3. Id go for the fender P man. You really cant go wrong with the P, its very versitile and you get a great sound. Good luck.
  4. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ignore everyone and get the ATK :spit: . Trust me, you can NOT go wrong with an ATK!!! You have to play one to belive it, and if you don't get the ATK, I will come over to your house, and steal the last hot pocket. I have a fender p, and ive played many soundgears, i get more tones, more bite, more everything. having played all these basses, and owned to of them, I would say the ATK mauls the other basses, burns them alive, and pisses on the ashes. Some say you can get a "P" like tone out of the ATK, but it has more bite than any P-Bass ive heard. The ATK, to me, and MANY others, has SUPER PUNCH. you do NOT know punchy until you have played an ATK. Sustian out the WAZOO to. I'll take this moment to show you my one and only.:)

5. From those I would take the SR700 I really like the 400+ soundgear 4 strings, but taking in count tha tyou play with a pick, the ATK seems more suitable for you.. I wouldn't pick the P bass.. definately.. Nope.
  6. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I am once again reminded of those immortal words of our own Embellisher, who said, Five trillion Motown and Rock and Roll albums can't be wrong. Go with the Fender P.
  7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Apples vs. Oranges

Different strokes for different strokes. Go play the basses in question. Which one is the best for you, and in your price range? That is the best one of the bunch, for you. Don't listen to the hype, or the stigma. Go with your hands and your ears.

Trust me, they won't let you down :)

BTW- I am quite happy with my Ibanez :cool:
  8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Damnit. he's right.:)
  9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Don't ya just hate it when I'm right ;) lol
  10. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    :meh: That's odd, Polly didn't yell, "screw them all and go buy a spector!!!" what is the world coming to? ;)
  11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I agree.
  12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well see, he didn't say "Whats the best bass in the world?" which of course is a USA Neck thru 4 in black and blue;) I have an atk right now, but nothing stops the craving for a spector. But the ATK is the best , IMHO bass out of those listed. I wish i could be a spectorite embassador.... i don't own one....YET. But I love them to death. I'm just broke as a joke. but seriously... right now,,, i'm craving a re-bop 5 in BLACK CHERRY..... god, I giggle like a girl just thinking about it..... Opps. getting off topic again.

Out of those listed, and ATK sounds amazing with a pick, something to add to my last post.

13. Ahh, good, our opinions clash once again! I thought the planets were all going to crash into each other.

Ignore Polly and get the P-bass!!!:spit: ;)

But seriously, try it before you buy it!
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, as of late I've gotten an ATK, and Polly is onto something a bit there. He's a bit more freakish about it, but they are a pretty good deal. Imagine having an SVT in a bass, and that's about what my ATK is to me. It's a rock bass through and through. Between the coil tap and the 3 band EQ, it's pretty versatile.

But, there is no denying my first love: the P bass. You really can't go wrong with a P bass. Classic, and for a reason. It's got a meaty neck in comparison to the Ibanez SR series (but the ATK is beefy was well). Only thing I can say band about a P bass is that they aren't as light as the Ibanez basses.

Other than that, it's up to your hands and ears. Personally, I find either is a great buy.
  15. i'd with every one else go with what feels right

personaly i like fenders but i havent been playing long
  16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    FREAKISH ABOUT IT?!?!?!....

I will take that as a complment. I want spector for different reasons than my ATK. nothing will EVER replace my ATK!!!
  17. The dude from Finch plays a P-Bass...

Oh yeah, and:

18. phoenixdown

Oct 17, 2002
    i think im probably going to be gettina p bass as it did have the edge over the other two especially seeing as how its passive which is a big bonus in my books and since new pickups would be easily found just have to get the ATK in a couple months or so lol
  19. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    the standard p bass wasn't right for me...so i went with the deluxe p bass special (p body, j neck, and p/j pickups)

and that works for me

20. Id go with the P bass, because its so versatile. I dont really like Ibanez but thats just me. Choose whats right for you, as everyone else has said