Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez or G&L

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sako, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Ibanez SR500, Ibanez RD900, or G&L Tribute L2000

I'll be buying another bass soon, and most likely it was going to be an Ibanez SR500, but the soapbar Barts have me rethinking this. I have a Hwy 1 Jazz now, which I love, but I want active EQ and more tone sculpting on the bass. Since I love the Jazz single coils, I have thought about an Ibanez RD900, which has a J/M config. Sounds and feels good -- still like the SR neck a bit better though. But I've heard many great things about the G&L Tribute L2000. That would be pretty close to my Jazz, but should go into other tone territories that the Jazz couldn't.

I've played the Ibanez's in stores, but not the G&L -- no dealer around here. I need to stick to the price range of these three. I play mostly blues rock with a touch of funk. Any thoughts on this dilemna?

2. It doesn't get much better for a Blues/Rock bass than a L2000. I adore mine. I've played much more expensive basses, but nothing sounds as good as this one. It plays a lot like a Pbass, and can match that sound if you want it to, but it can come pretty close to almost anything else too.

Only problem with them is the neck size. They come with necks roughly the size of Pbass necks, so it'll probably be a little larger than the Ibanez you've played. But IMO its well worth it

3. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, I do love my Jazz neck, more than a P. So you think it's more like a P than a J neck? I wish I could get my hands on one.

4. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    G&L Tribute---my reason pretty much what Panda Licker said.

5. Yup, its gotta be the L2k, that's for sure, as i've play all of those, and the g&l was just amazing, and its a tonal monster, so it'll never let you down!

6. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Another question on the G&L... it has a series/parallel switch, how does this work? Since it has humbuckers, does this switch change the pickup to a single coil? G&L's website is pretty vague on this.