1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez or Maxon (Tubescreamer related)?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 6810, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Ibanez

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Maxon

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Other (please list)

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  4. Distortion?! On bass!?

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    Ok, without going into boutique land I am after some tubescreamer-y distortion - for bass. I have used it in the past, but this will be the first time in a long time. I have fuzz and other overdrives but it is that TS sound I am after.

I'm not really interested in mods just now, but maybe sometime. Nor am I after boutique priced used versions - so pretty much what's on the market now.

To that extent, I'm interested in what people at TB are using particularly Maxon or Ibanez, you opinions, impressions etc.

One last thing. There seem to be a whole range of Maxons out there pros, soft etc. Which one is in principle the best for bass (in your experience)?

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    For a tubescreamer? I'd go for the Jacques Tubeblower or Analogman TS instead.

3. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    More info on why? Some pedals are either come by or rather over priced here in Japan!

4. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Mainly because they have better low end response, but they also have a wider frequency range made possible by a mid control.

5. Check out the Xotic Bass BB, Fulltone Bassdrive, Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive.

6. I have a Homebrew Electronics Hematoma, and it is awesome.

7. Humphrey Bass Badder Monkey

8. check ebay for a chinese made brand called biyang.

i have one of thier tubescreamer clones and it is fantastic for guitar. never tried it on bass, though....but they are super cheap.

9. well made, though.....metal casing, true bypass. had mine for a couple of years and works great.

10. cp4eva

cp4eva

Jul 17, 2009
    Houston, TX
    +1

11. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows

Oct 6, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    i have a voodoo labs sparkle drive. after trying 10 or so OD pedals, it is my favorite.

12. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    for the TS sound on bass, seriously look up the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive. it's a straight TS clone, with a clean blend.

13. Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive or Digitech Bad Monkey

14. The Vodoo lab Sparkle Drive is awesome on bass

ok for like the 100th time the Vodoo Lab Sparkle Drive is not a straight up TS clone....

This is an overdrive pedal based on the vintage TS808 format, it includes the original JRC4558 opamp, but has been modded with metal resistors and polyester capacitors which creates a tighter midrange, a crsiper high, and overall IMHO a far better capacity for note definition than the original TS808. They have also added a clean boost channel which allows you to blend the clean signal with the overdrive circut. This allows you to boost the direct clean signal which in turn restores the attack and feel which is usually lost in most pedals when the signal is compressed in the ovedrive circut.

I love this thing I have tried a ton of OD's and this one has stayed on my board for over a year...

if you want a clone that sounds better than the original check out the BBE Green Screamer....it sounds a hell of a lot better than the Tube Screamer Re-Issue

15. The Jacques Tube Blower sounds great with bass.
    The distortion has more range than the original TS so you can dial in less and a lot more if you like.
    It also has separate bass and treble controls so dialing in a nice sound without loosing the low end is no problem.

MM

16. Gonzo476

Gonzo476

Mar 1, 2009
    Madrid, Spain
    Get a Sparkle Drive. Best OD ever! Try a Hematoma too, it has a darker sound which you might prefer.

17. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    Thanks for the replies so far, my problem is getting access to the pedals to actually see what they sound like. Probably gonna go with a TS9DX analogman mod because of the relatively low price and availability (and generally fabourable reviews)...

18. 6810

Jan 11, 2008
    That said, the tube blower does roll at about my price and would cost the same as a modded TS9DX

19. +1 Although I haven't got any experience with any other TS clones, I can report I'm very happy with mine.

20. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Other:
    Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive or Way Huge Pork Loin