Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez or Peavey? what do you think?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaRK_CaRNiVaL, Sep 13, 2005.

1. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    G'day,

I wanted to start off my first post with a rather important question :D. I am planning on finally buying a bass (took my time I think) and I was wondering which one do people think would be better for a complete begginer.

At the moment I have narrowed it down to two choices.

Either a Peavey Milestone with a Crate amp and all the extras which I can get for AU$460

or

An Ibanez jumpstart pack which is basically the GSR190J
    and an Ibanez amp and all the extras. That one I can get for AU$500.

I am wondering what sorts of experiences people have had with the two brands or even the two guitars if possible.

If I can afford it I was also thinking of the ESP LTD C-10 pack but thats $600 so its a bit dear.

Thanks for any help! ;)

2. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    I think that you would not go wrong with either of these setups. Having owned both a Peavey Fury (this was the bottom at the time I bought it) and a GSR200 I would suggest the Ibanez because I personnaly found it easier to play.

Go to the store (if you can) and play both, whichever one really feels nicer to you is the one you should pick. That's my $.02

3. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    Yeh I have already been to the store to look at the Ibanez package and well it looks alright, it makes bass sounds and thats about all I need I guess till I actually want different sounds. I was just a bit worried because of people saying that the lower end Ibanez bass guitars are dodgy and not worth the money thats all.

I am still planning to go have a go at using the Peavey and I guess ill go by your advice RobertUI and just see which one feels easier to play.

Too bad I cant try both in the same store :meh:

cheers for the help.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You'll be fine with either. I prefer the Peavy brand to the Ibanez brand personally.

5. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Ibanez and Peavey are excellent brands. IMO Peavey is stronger in the lower end while both have their pluses in the mid-to-high end. I would go with the Peavey, but as Robert says try both and decide which one feels best to you.

6. You know, a few days ago, I would have jumped right on this boat, no "ifs, ands, or buts" at all. However, today, I had an opinion changing experience.

I visited my good friend, who had purchased the Ibanez JumpStart pack for his very first rig, which he still has. I plugged it all up with an upgraded cable, and nice strap bought in Germany, and was blown away at how much I like that setup better than mine.

I bought the Peavey Millenium bass as my first over a year ago, and never though I'd regret it. Well, now, I'm kicking myself in the 'gnads' for doing so. I really love contoured bodies, and absolute sucker for 'em to tell the truth. The Peavey most definately loses there. I also feel the Ibanez is a stronger passive bass than the Peavey. The Peavey also tends to sound a bit, well, "off-tone" the pickups aren't too impressive IMO. However, the "P/J" set on the 190, is awesome. Plus, on the Ibanez, there is much room fpr upgrades. Drop in some Duncans and an active pre, and you've got yourself one wild little moster.

At the moment, he's trying to get rid of his bass for $100(us) I'm thinking of splurging on it, and doing the upgrades.

So, in the end, it's all subjective anyhow. I suggest you compare the two back to back. However, I think that you might just see my point, and if you don't, oh well, I won't be upset, I promise.

I wish you good luck in finding a bass that allows your "voice" to be heard loud and low.

~Ryan

Ps. :bag: lol

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Ibanez puts out one of the BEST starter packs for a beginner. I wouldn't think twice about buying that, but if you're looking to save a few bucks, you're not losing out on buying the Peavey/Crate rig. However, around here IIRC, Ibanez have a better resale value than Peavey or Crate.

8. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    Im happy to announce that I got neither an Ibanez nor a Peavey.

I went down to another shop today which I had planned to visit in my quest to get a good deal.

There I was actually talking with the store owner and he showed me the Squier affinity, the only problem was the pack cost over $700!! with the accessories guitar and amp.

I also looked at the peavey but it turns out that it was $480 without any accessories (dunno what the salesman was on since the guitar was about 300 and the amp 240) :p.

So I tried the squier through the crate amp and it sounded really good, the peavey wasn't bad either but I was really happy with the sound of the squier so I did end up getting it. I know some people dont like the squiers cause they are cheaper versions of fender but I think it sounds good.

I ended up getting
    - Squier Affinity bass (also known as a P-Bass?)
    - Crate Amp 15w (sounds 100x better than the ibanez practice amp)
    - The accessory pack that comes with the squier pack which is like lead, bag, strap etc.
    - free tuner
    - the good old stand

I ended up paying $570 in total. Lets just hope I will stay happy with it for a long time because I am running out of cash lol.

I am also gonna get a free set up when the tech guy gets back and i have already got the strings lowered for me, it may be my noobness but there is a lot of buzzing now, im not sure if its because I cant hit the string properly or if its the fact that the strings are lower and are hitting the fret metal (or its out of tune).

9. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Congratulations, my nephew started out on a Squier Affinity P bass and it's a perfectly good starter instrument. (honestly I would probably have recommended that over either the Ibanez or the Peavey if it were in your original post). You will enjoy it for years to come. That's -fantastic- that they're throwing in a setup as well, I like that shop!!! :) The first thing you'll want in the future is a new amp, the practice amp will be sufficient for a while, and you'll want to keep it probably forever, but you'll need something bigger for band playing. But one thing at a time, enjoy, practice, get lessons. The buzzing you hear will be less of an issue when you get a proper setup. Just "lowering the strings" without all the other adjustments causes that.

10. Congrats on the new gear. and its always good to see another on the forums. my first bass was the Milestone and it wasnt very nice IMO. The pots made noise when u would adjust them, the input jack would constantly come undone, it was a pretty noisy and hissy bass altogether. Rock out on ur new axe

Peace
    Chips :bassist:

11. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    BTW, we have a little rule around here... No pics - no bass. :) Got a digital camera to snap a pic o fthat bad boy?

12. Yeah, ditto on the pictures!!! :D

Also, congrats on the new gear man! It doesn't matter what the hell WE think about YOUR bass. Whatever makes you happy man, that should always be what you go with. Don;t follow the pack, it's to expensive around here to do that.

Congrats again.

~Ryan

13. DaRK_CaRNiVaL

DaRK_CaRNiVaL

Sep 13, 2005
    Australia
    I have finally uploaded the picture,

Very poor quality because I made this pic like the second I put it in the house but still.. the proof is there!!
    (notice the sticker and all is still on the bass)

Im already getting into the free learner book that came with the bass and it comes with a CD so that is always helpfull. I am putting in the practice as well so my arm is like dead (having a break for a while).

I am really happy with the setup/deal that I got and I dont think a begginer needs any more. The bass has decent tone and the amp is quite good.

Anyway thats all, thanks for all the advice and encouragement. Jam away :bassist:

#Dariusz

14. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Beautiful bass, man!!!! It's impossible to go wrong with a black P-bass. Congrats, practice!