1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cubeface, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    Hello,
    I’m planning on buying a 5-string Ibanez at the end of May :hyper: and was wondering what some Ibanez owners think of their bass(es). (I’m hoping to get either an EDB 405, SR 405, or the SRX 505)
    Thanks

Edit-- See post #13 for another question.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I ahve a BTB405Qm and I think it's great. I don't like the 35" scale, but the tone is very good.

3. I have a (sadly discontinued) Ibanez ATK 305. I love it!
    Not exactly a Stingray 5, but in a similar vein. Plays well, sounds great.

Steve

4. SR905

5. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I have an SRX505, hard to beat for the price and a neck to die for. I really like the pups as well.

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    SR905 is lookin hot these days...

I've got 2 Ibbys, but they're 4s so I can't give that much advice...

7. I have an older SR505 that I absolutely love. :hyper:

Be aware that Ibby fivers are renowned (or reviled, depending on your perspective) for their tight string spacing and narrow necks.

That happens to be one of the things that I like most about mine but YMMV.

8. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    Agreed, I love my sr905NF

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    The SRX series are excellent instruments. Wonderful neck, nice pickups and electronics and you can get any sound you want from them. I really like mine, a 4 string.

10. funkmuffin

funkmuffin

Aug 18, 2004
    Akron, Ohio
    I've got a 1996 SR1300 -- best bass I'd ever played until I got my Stambaugh -- but that's not a fair comparison...

I don't know much about the less expensive, current models, but I also had a cheap 5 string, which really sucked... There was simply no way to get the action anywhere near where I needed it.

That said, my SR1300 is still awesome, even after being beat upon for 300+ shows and countless practices. The neck is like butter, and the action can go so low that its actually too low.

11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I also have a SR505 circa '96! I've had not one issue with it! The neck is slim as is the string spacing (tight)! Not a slap machine although it can be slapped on! Excellent pre-amp and batteries last forever! Can't vouch for the newer models!

12. Huge +1

The SRX is remarkably well made and the electronics are really, really tight for the price. It's a very powerful sounding bass.

13. Cubeface

Cubeface

Apr 9, 2006
    Is the SRX505 string spacing wide enough for slapping?
    (Becuse in the catalog it says "For players who find the string spacing on most 5-string basses too narrow, the SRX705/505 offers wide string pitch and neck width.")

14. tadawson

tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    I dunno about that one, but my BTB405QM is one of the widest spaced fivers that I have seen. It plays pretty well for what it goes for, but can't hold even a dimly lit candle to my MusicMan Bongo . . . . but, once again, for what it cost me, it's a very nice bass, and I have no intention of parting with mine . . .

- Tim

15. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    I've an SR3006, build quality, electronics and tone are superb, it's an excellent instrument though it does feature rather narrow string spacing.

16. bisc01

bisc01

Apr 25, 2006
    I got a SR505 (which I guess hyas same string spacing as the SRX505) and its deffinently slappable!
    I started playing with a 4 string J&D Luthier bass with 'normal' string spacing and goin to the 5 string was kinda different but ya get used to it.

17. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I found the neck on my srx505 pretty big with decent spacing, actually more than what my tastes prefer, but my tastes don't include much slapping and I moved into 6-strings, so obviously I like tight spacing, but the srx has some good width so spacing shouldn't be an issue when it comes to slapping.

18. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i like the SRX series a lot, i really like the dual humbuckers. it gives you a very growly sound. it's something that is really hard to get out of my Carvin.

19. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I used to play Ibanez exclusively but am fed up with the company's unwillingness to bring on new exciting models. They keep making the SR's because it sells good and don't build any good custom quality basses. (btw, an SRX is an SR with hotrodded electronics). SR, SRX, GSR, look at the body shape people! they are reusing spare parts! If they were to build the musician or studio basses again, they would have something great on their hands and probably regain alot of lost customers. Summary, ibanez blows.

20. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I love my Ibby's feel and neck and everything about it exept the Electronics. i find the tone i'm getting a bit sterile and weak and the werid boost on it really unhelpful. but i love playing so much that all that stuff means nothing. most comfy bass ive ever played!!