Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez P pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 555, Aug 24, 2004.

1. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Does anyone know why Ibanez P pickups are placed differently on their basses from the rest? I mean look at fenders P's and 99% of other companies (apart from ESP) On the ibanez's the P pickup placement, the bass side is behind the treble side. On Fender's and other companies, the Treble side always comes first if you get what i mean, if not, here's 2 pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Honestly, I can't say for sure why they do it, but my guess would be a tighter sounding low end and a richer high end. It makes sense.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Welll. ummm,, I don't know for certain.. but I can hazard a guess...

If they swapped it back around fender-style, that'd put the E-side of the pup pretty close to the 24th fret... For lack of the technical terms, I'm thinking that when playing up the neck could get a little weird...

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    sadowsky have the reverse P config available as an option. As josh said, the idea is for a tighter low end and a richer pop on the g string

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, well, uuuh... That, too! :bag:

6. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Excellent stuff! Thanks for the replies:D

with that solved, it just get me more into getting the Ibanez SR810 :D

7. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    hey i've got an ibanez srx300 and love it, so good luck in getting what your looking at.

8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Reverse P is da shiznit. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I've always been a "P-bass guy" and I'll never go back to a standard P routed bass (besides my '76 Fender).

I think BC Rich was the first company to use that routing but they stopped when Class Axe took over. It's also used by Ibanez, Jackson, and Spector.

The SR810 is a good choice. My SR800 is top-notch MIJ construction - the best I've seen in it's price bracket. I'd strongly suggest trying to find an older model that's MIJ (not Korea) and has the AFR pickups instead of the DX series pickups. Of course you could always replace the DX pups if you like the way it plays. Enjoy!

9. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    yeh the SR810 is pratically the same as the SR800 apart from the weaker pickups and body material (SR810 is Ash) Anyone know what year the SR810's are made in? Can't seem to find them in the catalogues.

10. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Not sure, the 810 was the newer model after the 800 was discontinued. You may even like the ash body better than the 800's basswood.

11. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Great thanks.