ibanez pd7 vs. boss me-50b

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BlacktotheBlind, Mar 9, 2005.

1. BlacktotheBlind

BlacktotheBlind Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    my first distortion pedal was the ibanez pd7, i got it new off ebay for like $30. i figured at first that because it was so cheap there had to be better distortion pedals out there. so in January i buy the boss me-50b. i tried to get one from a local GC but everytime i go in there there's always some kids clowning around in there so it's a waste of time trying out equipment. so like an idiot i just buy the me-50b without trying it. i like the octaver, the synth, delay and chorus but the distortion sucks!! i've tweaked with EQ on this thing so much and i cannot find a good distortion for my Warwick at all. the pd7 just plain blows away the me-50b's distortion. my Rickenbacker sounds great with both pedals though.

anyone else ever go through a situation like this? i can either sell the me-50b and use that money to help buy a new amp, or keep it and hope that it only sounds like crap because i'm using a Behringer BX1200.

2. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    It's the pedal most likely...
  3. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    it is interesting that you mention this...

i also own an ibanez PD7, a boss me-50b, and run them through a behringer bx1200 bass amp.

i bought the me-50b first believe it would save me money because it was a decent multi fx. which it is. but i agree that the pd7 overdrive sounds are more useful than most of the drive options on the me-50. i run the pd7 and some other stompboxes on line b and the me-50 on line a.

i think that when it comes to the crunch, a multi fx just doesnt quite compete with stompboxes. having said that, it does have some good sounds which warrant keeping it. if you are planning to continue to buy individual stompboxes then it might be an idea to sell the me-50 and put the money towards an amp.
  4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I think it's maybe easier to get a good sound quicker out of the ibanez, but I think the od/dist sounds on the me50b are very good - certainly the best I've heard on a multifx.
    Like on any multifx, they do take some time to set up to get your combination of parameters. You'll use different parameters for the different models. I like the natural overdrive, and the hi-band distortion which leaves your low end untouched.
  5. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    yes i think that you a point there david. its quicker to get a good sound out of the ibanez because its dedicated circuitry, where as the me-50 is coping with a multitude of modelling. there are certainly some good drive patches, the muff fuzz isnt too bad and the natural/bass drivers. it just feels to me like it lacks that bit of punch.

i would be interested in seeing a snapshot of some of your drive settings david if that wouldnt be too time consuming?