Ibanez PhatHed Or Boss ODB Overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Boss ODB Overdrive

47 vote(s)
  2. Ibanez Phat Hed

52 vote(s)
  1. HardRockZombie

Jul 4, 2002
    What would you suggest the ever popular Boss ODB overdrive pedal or the Ibanez Phat Hed?
  2. I would go with the Boss ODB. I tried one in a store once and liked the tone a lot. As for the Ibanez, i haven't tried it.
  3. Get the PD7. I've A/Bed both pedals extensively, and for me, the PD7 wins every time. The Boss is flat, flavourless and fuzzy. The Ibanez is fat, flavourful and fuzz-free! Also, the PD7 is really two pedals, an OD and a distortion. The Boss is just an OD. There is a sound file below on the PD7 distortion tone. The overdrive tone is likeable, and if you REALLY want, you can mimic the ODB-3 exactly (only it'll sound bad;)).

PD7 Distortion
  4. ODB-3 by far.

++ more versatile
    ++ better tone.

-- very sensitive to changes. small turn of a knob has big impact.
  5. danqi

May 21, 2001
    Boss ODB: Either you hate it or you love it. That is because it has got a very special metallic sound. Most people on this board will probably tell you that they don't like it, but that does not matter at all. Obviously it depends on what you like.
    As for me I like the sound of the PD7 much bettter but I went with the ODB because I just couldn't get the PD7 to add just a subtle slight distortion which I wanted.
  6. buy'em both...brand new the Ibanez is like $75. and the Boss is around $85..on the used market the Boss can be had for around $50....you'll have all the dist.\od\fuzz you will ever need....
  7. I dont recommend either. Both have a very plastic sound. If I had to chose one i would have to go with the boss though.... look around, search some previous threads on overdrive/distortion. You can find something much much better for probably not much more $$$.
  8. stefen

Jul 21, 2002
    Take a look at http://www.ebs.bass.se/2001/index_ebs.html

I don't know if EBS is available in the US but the MULTIDRIVE Black LAbel Pedal is really versatile and you can find samples on their site.
    Try ElectroHarmonix too but it's more expensive.
    Anyway it depends on the style you play...

9. I used both on guitar and bass, and I prefer the PD-7. The ODB was boring, in my opinion. The PD-7 is more versatile. Both are good quality pedals for the price, but I like the sounds of the PD-7 better.
  10. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I own and use both. They're pretty different in tone and flexibility. If I had to choose one, I'd go with the Ibanez. THe Boss ODB-3 is a misnomer. It's not an overdirve at all. It's really much more of a fuzz/distortion. The blend knob on the Boss allows it to be used as a volume boost/two band eq, as does the clean setting on the Ibanez.

I do find the Ibanez PD7's tone a bit warmer and more pleasing and less fuzz oriented.
  11. pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    I've tried out both many times. The Ibanez Phat-Hed is much better in my opinion. I think it is more
    and can get a much better distortion IMO. I wouldn't consider buy the Boss ODB3, but I'd like a Phat-Hed.
  12. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    hmmm...i dont liky many ibanez products, but definatley the ibanez pedal.
  13. Both suck...

How 'bout a Nobels ODR-B (might even be cheaper than the boss)
  14. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Well for now, I have the ODB-3 which I will upgrade to a Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver, but it is both overdrive and distortion, and it is versatile. The EQ REALLY makes a huge difference, and the gain control has a lot of versatility too. As for the Ibanez, I haven't played it, but as far as I've heard its just distortion. So what do you want? Overdrive and Distortion or just distortion? So I say go for the ODB-3.
  15. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    try a proco rat distortion . just try it. it's made for guitar but it's the best(imho) overdrive there is for bass, imho. and dang cheap. about 70€
  16. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Yeah, I forgot about that. If you want distortion, get a Rat!
  17. Yeah, they both pretty much sucks.

I like my ebs multidrive combined with a maximum gain setting on my Trace Elliot.

You must keep in mind that you don't clash eq-settings between pedal and amp, like for example using a metal-V on your amp and even on your pedal cutting the midrange. Or the other way, boosting midrange for solo's on pedal and amp, can create a toneless fuzzy distortion.

My Phat Hed wasn't all that bad, but I think it's broken, it produces much more noise then it used to.
    Even my former guitarist who uses Tone-Lok pedals from ibanez are breaking down, Does anyone else has this problems ?
  18. Yes, I think the input jack on mine is broken, and the switch was troublesome for a while. It looks like a well constructed pedal, but I suspect the electronics aren't that great.
  19. But what can we expect for that price ? Those Tone-Lok may be praisen a lot, but the reliability can only be judged after some years, or with my retorically bad luck; after some months.
  20. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    "You must keep in mind that you don't clash eq-settings between pedal and amp, like for example using a metal-V on your amp and even on your pedal cutting the midrange. Or the other way, boosting midrange for solo's on pedal and amp, can create a toneless fuzzy distortion."

That's a very good point. If you listen to most bass players who use OD you can still hear the original tone of the bass cutting through. That's why on my ODB3 I leave both EQ's at 12:00 ,and cut the balance to around 8:00 to 8:30, and then boost the gain to around 2:00. That allows the original tone of the instrument to cut through which is vital to keep the bass sound in the mix, but allow the distortion on top. We must remember as bass players to keep the bottom end.