1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez PhatHed Or Boss ODB Overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Boss ODB Overdrive

47 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. Ibanez Phat Hed

52 vote(s)
    52.5%
  1. Yeah, that's what I discovered recently at a metal-festival; suddenly bass on distortion had a brand new meaning to me.
    A bass on distortion was really a
    bass on distortion (sorry for the stupidness of that souding :) ) , instead with my sound it used to be: "is that a guitar ?".

It's because I'm such a admirerer of the late Cliff Burton. But I saw a German black metal band called "Eisheilig". The bassist played with a pick, and when he turned on the distortion, it didn't growled or sustained much, but suddenly you had the feeling there was a giant playing a bass, know what I mean. It was soooo loud and sooo heavy.

To hit back the eq-subject: I can understand why low one set his eq-knob at 12. That's why I like my Multidrive . Ther is none.
    I like to have my clean sound and my distorted (overdriven actually) sound with the same eq-setting. In my case my signature sorta-like metal-V on my 12-bands Trace Elliot amp.

The only thing I'm trying to figure out now is how to get my signal equalized before it gets distorted.
    I have an fx-loop on my Trace, but it doesn't work with stompboxes, otherwise I could use this loop and set the eq to pre-equalizing. I guess I should buy that 7 bands aq pedal from Boss, but then I loose my amp equalizer.

2. Doryan, the good thing about the EBS Multidrive is also that it automatically bypasses the lowend of the signal in std and tubesim mode.

(I don't quite understand how this sentence is meant:I guess I should buy that 7 bands aq pedal from Boss, but then I loose my amp equalizer)

3. I use my amp-equalizer now, wich I really like clean, with 12-bands I have created an extreme figure: it looks the same like a square-root sign :).
    But by my distorted sound I would like to have my signal equalized before it get's distorted, instead now I have a flat signal distorted and then the overall sound equalized.

If you equalize before your distortion, you shape the color of the distortion.
    You can determine if you want only your highs (boosting highs on the pedal before the dist) to be distorted and keep your bottom-end clean by 2nd equalizing (boost low's on this one) after the signal is distorted. Or another example: equalizing with heavy low and a bit cutted highs before the distortion for low heavy loud riffs, and with the same distortion effect you have a more milder sound for calmer passages or a solo.

So you see I need an eq-pedal to set up before my Multidrive but I don't need in my case to have my sound after-equalized, so my amp-eq must be disabled. And I like that equalizer.

The rythm guitarist in my band thought me this. Sometimes you think he's using several overdrive or distortion pedals, but he only uses a Metal Zone and EQ-20 equalizer from Boss. By changing the eq-setting before your distortion you can create all kind of distortion, regardless what pedal you use.

Oh by the way, I've tried a Metal Zone on my bass, and that sounds awesome. Distortion-freaks here must try this one, it works damn good. The tone range of the gaincircuit is pretty large. I play with a detuned d on my e-string, and my lowest notes don't go to fuzz, they growl like hell. And when playing in the high register you don't get all that noise and resonance, just enough noise and res for metal :D but not more :) .

4. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I think keeping the original bass tone is important. If I had the money, and means of transport, then I'd run a clean rig with no effects, and a dirty rig with all my effects on it. Then I could let the OD do it's own thing but keep the bottom end with the clean, or uneffected rig.

That's why I set both my EQ's to 12:00 on my ODB3, when you swith the pedal on the original bass tone is not touched.

5. That's a great set-up you have in mind, I' haven't thought of that yet. But I know it's expensive. I'm saving for a second stack, and when I finally have it I think I can use your idée here.

I could even mix my clean with my distorted sound.

7. I don't want to work with 2 equalizers. One is enough for me. The only thing I'm after is a metal-V. So if I use a second eq I might end up neutralizing that V-setting or I might end up going to extreme on that metal-V. That a problem with many metalmusicians: using an extreme V-graphic, if your mids get too scooped out, your presence in the mix will be lost, you'll get especially in trouble by trying to play over the drum. Or get blown away by a lead musician with an eq-setting for solo's, if he boost his mids to cut through.

8. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Or the other option to running 2 rigs is to send a DI signal to the PA before your effects so it's clean, and then run the effects through your amp and mic or DI that. The disadvantage of this is you only hear the effected signal unless you have good monitors and can have some DI bass in them. It also means that the bass will need 2 channels on the PA which may not please all sound guys!!!

9. Wareyin

Wareyin

Jul 13, 2002
    I have the Phat Head, and it can be Overdrive, Distortion, or Clean Boost, with 3 high end settings for each, as well as a control for amount of distortion, a bass eq, a high eq, and an overall volume. That sounds WAY more versatile than the ODB-3. Plus, I hate the way Boss pedals suck your low end out. If you crank the bass knob on the PD7, you can actually put out MORE low end than you put in.

10. Masterbasser_43 is right, the phat hed is just a distortion. The overdrive mode isn't properly named; it should be mild distortion. It's the distortion lesser enhanced, and with lesser noisen and resonance. The clean mode is useless on this pedal.

About the BOSS Boss Overdrive ODB-3, I'm not very fond of that, so I can't say it's rather overdrive or distortion, I can just say it's a noise adder (too much fret noise). It just sucks, there are better pedals.

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I agree with you about the Boss, I couldn't get anything good from it.

On the other hand, the PD-7 is very versatile.
    The overdrive IS an overdrive, with a very different sound from the dist mode.

The Clean boost is very useful, I use it a lot :
    -Basic EQ for a second sound (bass/treble/volume boost)
    -With the distorted harmonics dip switch engaged, it becomes a perfect tool for Primus covers.
    -I also use it to boost the signal before my SanSamp, so it distorts easily.

I actually preffer the PD-7 to the EBS MultiDrive. Quite surprising, uh ?

Still, a real bass overdrive would be the Fultone BassDrive II. That's a serious one.
    Double the price, that is.

12. By me it's the other way around, I prefer the Multidrive, and that's suprising too cause I play metal. And I'm chosing an overdrive pedal over a distortion.

This probably shows the blurry line between overdrive and distortion. When is a signal considerd to be overdriven, and the furthermore; when is it considerd to be distorted ? How clean is clean really ?

I have to sounds wich I play by: clean and distorted. Althoug clean is not clean, I'm using the maximum gain of my Trace Elliot so it's a bit driven. And when I kick in my Multidrive, it's this driven clean sound + an overdrive pedal = distortion.

I could never use the clean-mode on the phat hed. It seemed to mute my sound or something, suddenly I went to am-radio acoustic.
    But I guess it all has to do with your other equipment, like your pick ups an amps.

13. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    i really like my ebs multidrive. i've tried the dredgetone angler, barber deep fryer, fulltone bassdrive and i think i like the multidrive the best. two knobs, easy to get a great overdrive sound and very compact.

-steve

14. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Not if you keep plenty of the original signal it doesn't. Keep the balance at 9:00 or below and you get plenty of low end. In fact I find that I keep both EQ's at 12:00 because I don't need any more bass or treble.

15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, go for a rat, but the ibanez from what you said,, i do have to say, as far as solid state gain curcits go, ibanez makes a fairly awesome one.

16. I picked the Danelectro Daddy-o overdrive over both the ibanez and the boss.

For fuzz, get a big muff

I still love the Dano though, GREAT tone

17. bassochist

bassochist

Dec 28, 2002
    Earth
    definitly go with the PD7 (phat head)

i tried both at the local music store, and after about 30 minutes i decided upon the PD7.

it was 60 bucks for me. dunno what list price is normally.

anywho i was very very satisfied with the PD7.

however, i am prebiased towards ibanez stuff...
    just... because i guess.

also the ibanez stuff is much more dependable (stronger material, more sturdy construction)

yeah...

18. YtseJulian

YtseJulian

Mar 13, 2002
    quick observation: looks to me like most ppl who have tried both pedals prefer the PD7 over the ODB

19. The ODB-3 is much noisier as well. My friend really likes the overdrive sound from my PD7, whereas I prefer the distortion. The ODB we both hate.

20. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I like the OD on my 2001RB.........