1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez PhatHed Or Boss ODB Overdrive?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HardRockZombie, Jul 19, 2002.

1. Boss ODB Overdrive

47 vote(s)
    47.5%
  2. Ibanez Phat Hed

52 vote(s)
    52.5%
  1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    i just won a pd7 from ebay, great deal for $40, but i still have that boss OD at 30.99... hope someone bids over that.

2. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    I would go out of my way and try a few of the other pedals mentioned. Distortion/overdrive tone is highly subjective, as with all other things, you owe it to yourself to check out all of the pedals listed in person. Or buy from a dealer with a good return policy.

Some additions:

Hao Rustrider Bass: very buzzy, raspy sound. Tone switch instead of tone knob. Simple controls. I don't care too much for it, but many really like it.

Z. Vex Woolly Mammoth: Over the top fuzz, big bottom, gating effect available with careful tweaking of the "pinch knob". Take your time with it, it will really give up the tone after a bit of knob twiddling! My personal favorite.

3. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    i like the sound and tone that i get with the ibanez. i got it for overdrive, but fell in love when i switched it to distortion. i love both ways, and im thinking of getting a second so they can both be ready to go.

i only dislike that you can hear fuzz when you stop playing, but thats distortion for you, and i have nothing for a noise gate.

4. freekypimp8u

freekypimp8u

Aug 3, 2003
    I have a Ibanez GSR200 and play it on a Behringer Ultrabass BX1200. Which one of those two is better.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, seeing as how someone started a thread on what one everyone thought was better, why not READ THE THREAD that was made about it? Form your own opinion by what others have said about it, and what you like tone wise.

Well, I'll just tell you.

It's the ....*gets shot in the head with dart by hidden :ninja: *

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have tried both and i own the boss, i like the boss better.

7. guymanndude1

guymanndude1

Feb 5, 2004
    But, not for the distortion, I play tube amps and get plenty of that, If I want it. I like the setting known as string noise.
    just turn it on but keep the overdrive/distortion switch off and just use the drive, tone and output knobs. It give you a wonderful sizzling edge that you can mix to taste.

See Yah,

Big G

8. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    The PD7 has a wider range of distortion settings... from crunch to fuzzy. The "Attack" switch is useless, but no problems result because its there. The ODB-3 is always full blown distortion. Would work great for metal/industrial, but not for much else. Thats why I went with the PD7, its worked great for me.

9. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I've just listened to the sound samples for both the ODB3 and PD7 on their web sites, and I must say I'm not impressed with the PD7 sounds. I own an ODB3 and like it but out of interest went to listen to the PD7 samples, somebody tell me they don't do the pedal justice.

The ODB3 sound samples sound very good IMO.