Ibanez Pickups......

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MadClip, Jan 14, 2003.

1. MadClip

Jan 12, 2003
    Kirbyville, Texas
    I have an Ibanez SR485. The pickups say dx5 on them and they aren't loud at all. I just noticed it when I got my ampeg b5r. Anyways, I'm using my Fender Jazz right now which is much louder but I would like to replace the Ibanez pickups since I payed alot for the thing. I'll take any suggestions because this is the first time I've had to deal with pickups and I'm stumped.
  2. I play an Ibanez BTB405 with Ibanez pickups and it produces significant volume. At church, I play through an Ampeg B5R that I share with another bass player on opposite Sundays. When I come in after he has played and forget to adjust the volume down on the amp, I will just about blow the tiles out of the ceiling. I have my pickups adjusted out to a little more than an 1/8" below the strings, just enough that the strings won't hit the pickups. You may want to check your pickup height to see if there is a great deal of space. Also, I'm wondering if its possible you may have a bad pot (volume) switch on your bass. Excessively high resistance in the switch at the full volume setting may cause a reduction in volume. There could be several other possibilities, but these are the ones that come to mind at the moment.
  3. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    "THROW THEM AWAY !":mad:
  4. phattybass

Dec 12, 2002
    hello there.
    I mysrlf al;so own a sr 485 and am interested in upgrading it. I just posted a question on this board concerning which pickup and elerctronics I should go with as an upgrade. check it out some time. there may be some replys that would be helpful to you.
  5. rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    I have an Ibanez SR405 as a backup bass. When I got it, it had the Ibanez DX5 pickups on it. I wasn't pleased with the sound, so I got Barts and a Bartollini preamp which did wonders for the tone. It is also very loud too. Good luck!
  6. phattybass

Dec 12, 2002
    Which ones did you get, if you don't mind me asking as far as model numbers and prices and the specific preamp, pickups, and such?
  7. zavala

Mar 6, 2003
    all newer soundgear ibanez 5-strings have the same pickup shape referred to as the EMG-40. bartolini makes pickups as well a basslines. so does EMG