Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez picups - the rep

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PanteraFan, Jun 29, 2001.

1. Hi guys. I was just looking at the pickup code in the back of the Ibanez catalogue, but I've never read anything on these boards about their eputation. I even searched:eek:

So, what do you think of the Ibanez pickup? Favourite models? Knowledge of the factory, etc.

Thanx

2. kezekiel

kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    I have a Soundgear 810 (active P/J's), and the preamp stinks. I can't rate the pickups separate from the preamp, but let me put it this way - when I zero out the tone controls on the Ibanez and run it through my SansAmp Bass DI, it sounds loads better.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I spoke to a local shop about replacing the pickups and preamp in my Soundgear 6.

This is what he told me. The pickups(made by Mighty Mite) are not that bad.

The problem with active Ibanez basses, particularly the Soundgear line, is the preamp.

He told me that if I were to take out the old preamp and put in a good one, like say the Aguilar or Sadowsky preamp, that I would be pleased with the sound of the pickups.

He has replaced the stock preamp in quite a few active Soundgears with the Aguilar, and he said that everyone that he had done it for was very happy with the sound.

I look at it this way. Passive Soundgears sound pretty good, it is the active ones that I don't like the tone of, so I think that the Mighty Mite pickups are OK.

4. So, are all Ibanez pickups Might-Mite manufactured? Cos I'm getting a BTB, wanna know what quality they'll be like. The preamp is good, just wondering about the quality of the actual pup's. If they're Mighty Mite then cool, cos Dave Pushic uses em.

5. Balor

Balor

Sep 24, 2000
    Montréal, Québec
    i have a somewhat related question... since it's not ibanez that builds the pickup they us, is it possible to buy those same pickups individually?

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

PanteraFan, I don't know for sure that all Ibanez pickups are manufactured by Mighty Mite, but I suspect that most of them are, except maybe for the extreme low end stuff, like the GSRs.

Balor, you can buy Mighty Mite pickups, but I donn't know if you can buy the exact same ones that come in Ibanez, Cort, Alvarez, etc. basses.

7. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    The only complaints I have heard about pickups and preamps with Ibanez basses is the Soundgear line. Most people with BTB, ATK, EDB, EDC basses seem pretty happy with the stock pickups and preamp.

8. BoogieNight

BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Brazil
    hi

I have a soundgear sr-1200 that comes with "AFR" (Active Full Range) pickups. Does someone know who makes it?

The sound of my Ibanez is very "crazy", with lots of harmonics, but it´s somewhat artificial. For some styles it sounds very beautiful (I recorded our cd demo with it), but when you need a real bass (especially live) it´s not there.

Hehe, that´s why I just bought a "cheaper" Fender MIM and am now very satisfied. :)

9. Basswou

Basswou

Apr 15, 2001
    Belgium
    I own an Ibanez atk and a sdgr; they both have a noisy preamp so it's bad for funk and high end settings