1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez Portamento Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vmabus, May 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. I’m sorry to hear that. You’re not the first one to have electronic issues with these.

2. Spblat

Spblat

Apr 25, 2016
    That's lousy. I had piezo noise issues with the one I bought used. Ibanez agreed to have me ship it to them for warranty service because it was verified that it had been built recently but my seller had no receipt and they withdrew the offer for warranty service. So I bought a set of 4 new piezos and (just this morning) replaced the bad one, which came attached to the string saddle. I think I'm good to go. Your issues sound more serious. There are two custom boards in this bass: one is the main preamp, and one provides a signal blended from the individual piezos. It's possible that checking the solder joints on the pots would help but if one or both of those boards are bad you'll have to order new boards or try to be the first to replace the included electronics. Ibanez can tell you exactly what board(s) to buy and somebody like Sweetwater can order them for you when you know the part numbers. Good luck!

3. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    I opened it up last night to check the pots, and the one for the piezo has no solder, it has a plug connection.

4. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    Right, I read through this entire thread a couple weeks ago and saw that. A bass in this price range shouldn't suffer from issues like this, especially right out of the box.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  5. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    Sent it off for warranty repair this afternoon, we'll see how long it takes. Ibanez rep estimated 2 weeks, I'm guessing 3 weeks minimum.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  6. I hope it’s within a few weeks for your sake. I was expecting it to take a bit longer.

My 705 should be in within the next or so. I’m hopeful there are no issues with it, but at this point, I wouldn’t be surprised.

If there are, I may just return it if the store will allow it. For the last few weeks I’ve been debating if I should’ve gotten a fretless P with a rosewood neck string with flats, and a fretless P with an ebony or ebonol neck string with rounds.

I’d much prefer a 5 string Portamento, for a few reasons, but I like the simplicity and familiarity of passive 4 string P’s and J’s. Don’t get me wrong, I’d prefer to gt a well-made Portamento, but I don’t feel like sending this thing back a bunch of times.

And you’re right. While there are certainly more expensive basses, this is still fairly pricy and my most expensive music related purchase (outside of schooling anyway). Issues like these shouldn’t be as common as they seem to be.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  7. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    I think once they get to $600-700 I have higher expectations. Even in the $500 range I guess I expect a little more. Like I bought my son a Fender that was about $530 and I was very disappointed in the 3 way switch it had. It feels more like something I'd expect to be on a $200 guitar. I guess it is functional and never broke, but it just feels cheap.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  8. Jordan Maya

Jordan Maya

Sep 17, 2018
    I've had my SRF706 for a year now and it sounds great but I've been thinking about changing the preamp with a dark Glass tone capsule. I think in doing that I would have to disconnect the piezo, which would be okay with me, I've only used it a hand full of times. What do you guys think? Is it possible?

9. Spblat

Spblat

Apr 25, 2016
    I have a Tone Capsule in my fretted bass and I adore it. I would love to have one in my Porty but I think the piezos are essential to the tonal options in this bass and I'm not up for losing that sound. I tried and failed to make a TC work. I would also like to convert to a standard bridge/neck blend arrangement instead of having separate volume pots. Somebody will eventually figure out how, and I will gratefully follow suit.

10. I ordered my 705 on May 22nd and was told I should get it mid-September.

I haven’t heard anything since I placed the order. We’re a little closer to the end of September now, but not by much...

When do you guys think I should start bugging the store about getting the bass?

11. Spblat

Spblat

Apr 25, 2016
    If it was me I'd be calling weekly.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  12. Lol, I just hate being annoying. If I don’t hear anything by mid-afternoon on Monday, I’ll give them a call. Thanks.

tellheryousawme likes this.
  13. rbbrnck

rbbrnck

Sep 18, 2011
    had to return my 706 to dealer, the G piezo saddle was producing a rasping noise all the time. as the wood around the jack output had crumbled to pieces, i was rather sure my bass would have been only fixed under warranty, not replaced, as i had accidentally punched through the top with a screw from inside the control cavity when i fixed the jack to a support plate out of necessity.
    well, surprise #1: Ibanez Italian distributor Mogar Music replaced the instrument with a factory-sealed new one, completely free of charge, shipment included, even if the one they got from me is virtually un-resellable (because of a hole in the top).
    and, surprise #2: the new one i got in return still has rosewood fingerboard, instead of the new panga-panga of current versions.
    considering i'm nobody, not even known known to the shop where i bought it from, and not even playing in front of an audience, i can only find the distributor's decision commendable for its fairness and service committment.
    then, on a side note, dead-note fear spoils the effect, and is the reason why i travelled 500 km to buy it, play-before-you-buy doesn't happen online, and shop was the only one in Italy to have one on stock; luckily, the newly arrived one doesn't seem any worse than the one i sent back, but is even more resonant (if at all possible), though it sure sounds somehow just a touch brighter than the old one.
    only drawback is, i had filed an ebony nut from scratch for the old one, and will have to do another one again for the new one.
    sometimes you get lucky, i sure was (for once) and can gratefully thank both shop and distributor publicly.

14. That’s awesome @rbbrnck! Thanks for sharing.

I did talk to the store yesterday and it’s expected to come in at the end of this week, or more likely, next week.

15. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    How? When I was looking for the old version I couldn't find a new one anywhere. We called all over, even Ibanez said they didn't have any hidden away. I ended up with another panga panga, but my knew ones fingerboard is beautiful so thats ok. The electronis were shot though, so I am waiting on that still.

16. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    I called to check on my repair that was supposed to take 2 weeks, and the store hasn't even shipped it out yet a week and a half after I dropped it off.

17. Wow, why are people so incompetent. I’m sorry to hear that.

tfer likes this.
  18. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    Right, and if I hadn't called today how much longer would it just be sitting there? I was told the person the was supposed to be taking care of it wasn't going to be back in until Thursday. They were going to make me wait until then to find out anything, and I insisted they look into it today.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  19. JCKA

JCKA

Sep 6, 2013
    Dear all,
    A quick update with the battery draining issue.

There was one time, I was changing the battery and the battery cap fell off.
    Sweetwater was very kind and replaced the battery terminal for me and checked for the battery drain issue.
    They said that they can not find any battery drain problem after the battery terminal was replace.

After I received it back, I tested the bass for three weeks now. The battery is still good.
    So, problem solved.

20. The later versions smartly switched to separate boards for the magnetic and piezo preamps. My prototype and the first production versions have a single board for both.

Spblat likes this.