1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez Portamento Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vmabus, May 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Spblat

Spblat

Apr 25, 2016
    Does it look like this? I happen to have it as an extra but I don't know how it's supposed to be wired.
    IMG_0037.

2. rbbrnck

rbbrnck

Sep 18, 2011
    Distributor here is third party, so no wonder, Ibanez might how much they sold and shipped them, but surely not what their stock amounts to, and stock of what.

Not seeing new Porta6s popping out on local marketplace, though, they might have bought some until previous production ran out, but none later.

And while I can only call myself the luckiest dumbo I ever knew, in finding not one, but two new ones in a matter of weeks, still the reasons for having entire countries in, and entire countries out of the distribution concept for the sole 6-string version escapes me completely.

Other than a whiff of higher failure rate on 6s, for which the number of owners in this post fail miserably to represent a significant sample (in terms of statistics, I mean), other than higher warranty costs I can't see why not exploiting the chance of a much less crowded market segment with the 6, rather than the 5.

Sure there are other 6 with piezos on the market, but the cheapest of them starts at 3x the 706 streetprice, and as sure as there are very few fretless 5 with piezos out there, generic 5 seem to me getting numerically closer and closer to generic 4-string ones, so a bold marketer might see more headroom for a benchmark 6-string (and an aggressively priced one at that) than a very good 5-string that's indeed swimming in a crowdier pool.

Whatever drives their choices... I'm the happiest owner and player of a 706 I've dreamt for, for more than a year!

Matthew_84 and BritFunk like this.
  3. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    So how old is the one you ended up getting? 1P01 or 1P02?

4. Prototypes gonna prototype!
    17818980_405003123209636_5261685162118217728_n.

Spblat likes this.
  5. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    So, I went round and round with the store earlier this week on my repair. They were supposed to send it to Ibanez 3 weeks ago, but didn't happen. Earlier this week one employee told me it was sent out, but Ibanez had no record of them initiating the return. The next day the manager called me and tild me that they just ordered the psrts and they were going to fix it. I called today to see if the parts came in, and the repair guy said they came in today and he had it all fixed. So I made the hour and a half drive to the store, and it isn't fixed. Nothing changed, I have my doubts thats anything was even touched. Gotta call back tomorrow when the manager is in.

6. That’s unacceptable behaviour. I’m sorry you’re going through this.

7. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    Yeah, earlier this week I was in a slight panic because nobody knew where the bass was. I'm going to be having a conversation with the manager tomorrow. I tried calling the regional manager earlier in the week, but he never returnes my calls. They suck on every level.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  8. Also I think I asked before but can I get a number please?

Played through a rather difficult song (for me) a few days ago.

tellheryousawme likes this.
  9. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    I'm about to head out to the store again today. Talked to the manager this morning and he insists that it is fixed. Then he also insisted nothing was touched since last night. I said well it wasn't working and two of your employees heard it wasn't, so we nees to figure out what has changed. His reply was that he doesn't trust the employees from last night... my response was to check the input jack and if there are any wires nearby since one thing that changed since last night was it was being plugged in anf unplugged so maybe there is something going on. I told him it was pretty bad he didn't trust his employees, and I could come train his tech on priblem solving. He told me I was rude and hung up on me. So we will see how it goes today.

10. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    Picked it back up today, still not fixed. Magnetic tone is better, but piezo tone still isn't working. Didn't feel like deeling with them anymore, I'll just fix it myself eventually.

11. That sucks man. Did you buy it from a big store, or a smaller shop?

12. rbbrnck

rbbrnck

Sep 18, 2011
    @illbegotten: i've received a 1P02.

13. rbbrnck

rbbrnck

Sep 18, 2011
    ...or, more properly confusing, one that has 1P-02 silk-screened on the headstock's rear face, and a hang-tag saying it's a 1P-01:
    upload_2018-10-7_15-11-52.

Attached Files:

14. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    Big chain, the only place I found that had one in stock at the time I first bought mine.

Matthew_84 likes this.
  15. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018

That is weird, is the tag a store tag or a factory one? Store maybe messed up printing it if it is a store tag.
    Serial number is from the end of the 1P02 run(depending on the source some say they made them longer)

16. Congrats for the video!
    Welcome GlueKill, #53 is here for you.

Ibanez Portamento Club

1. vmabus #0
    2. tellheryousawme #1
    3. Jazzbrew #2
    4. PaulNYC #18
    5. aproud1 #4
    6. Idle Plucker #5
    7. Awesome Sauce #7
    8. ransombass #8
    9. Gee Phil #9
    10. Ibby #10
    11. Marcel66 #66
    12. hiredlenz #12
    13. Grand Moff Tim #13
    14. brossmac #14
    15. steelbed45 #15
    16. audionut36 #16
    17. MethodsofDance #17
    18. Kico #19
    19. Stellvia #20
    20. Bassconbeatz #21
    21. Dum Bass #22
    22. bherman #23
    23. Flabzilla #24
    24. gary m #25
    25. slap2much #26
    26. cchorney #27
    27. Aidil #28
    28. BassJuju #29
    29. Jezza #30
    30. thirtyhz #31
    31. Christoph #32
    32. Coriolis #33
    33. Guittarman10 #34
    34. Dana R Gregory #35
    35. web824 #36
    36. mike4bass #37
    37. kirkdickinson #6
    38. newb #38
    39. raphaeld #39
    40. Hunter34 #40
    41. sinewavemattic #41
    42. Michael Jewels #42
    43. xshawk #43
    44. Adam Blaknovski #11
    45. B-Mac #45
    46. animus.terry005 #46
    47. Spblat #47
    48. BritFunk #48
    49. Todd McIntosh #49
    50. JCKA #50
    51. rbbrnck #51
    52. EnVico379 #52
    53. GlueKill #53

BritFunk likes this.
  17. Still haven’t gotten my Portamento yet and I was supposed to get it mid-September.

I called the store two weeks ago and someone called the distributor and told me that I’d likely get it within two weeks (so I should have gotten it last week).

I just got off the phone with a helpful guy who called the distributor again and said “I’ve been dealing with this distributor for a long time now and based on what they said and my experience, I think you’re likely going to get the bass at the end of this month, or perhaps the first week of November”.

I’m not looking for advice or anything. Just ranting as I’m a bit frustrated now, but not really frustrated with anyone in particular, I’m just looking forward to this so much.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  18. Thanks, but I had to pay a deposit to order this bass so I’m pretty much stuck with the order unless it takes unacceptably long... I guess however long that is is up to me (and how mad I can get in the store), but right now I’m not pulling the plug. If it gets to mid-November and there’s nothing different then I’ll cancel it and ask for my deposit back.

Thanks for looking out for me though.

19. illbegotten

illbegotten

Aug 22, 2018
    So another thing I'm upset with on my current one is the fingerboard has string marks like crazy already. I've had it for just over a month, but it was in for repair for 3 weeks of that time. Literally I've probably played it 3 times. I think the marks are from the strings being pushed against it while in the case though, which is crazy that it would mark up like that. I have a fretless that is 20 years old that has always had rounds on that doesn't have marking like this. I'm going to try cleaning it later and see if helps any. Just crazy how easily marked up it gets.