1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Portamento Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vmabus, May 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. That’s an amazing price. Congrats!

2. Has anyone ever put TI Flats on this bass? How did they compare to the stock Chromes?

I’m currently using specifically selected Chromes gauges to tune in D Standard on my 5 string, but am considering getting a 6 string set of TIs and string it up E to C. Will be using this bass mostly to play Jazz.

3. HangryBassMan

HangryBassMan

Aug 20, 2019
    Bristol

Matthew_84 likes this.
  4. HangryBassMan

HangryBassMan

Aug 20, 2019
    Bristol
    Yes. See my thoughts above ^

Matthew_84 likes this.
  5. Nice! Thanks! I’ll stick with my D Standard Chromes for now

6. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

The portamento came in and the condition of the bass checks out! I’m surprised for the price it looks to have been well taken care of. I’d take photos but where I stay at doesn’t have the best lighting.

Overall thoughts, it plays amazing. Especially for the price! Now I did purchase this bass knowing all of it’s common faults and flaws from this thread but the more I play this bass, the more I forget about it. I do wish that it was a 4 string at times but with Ibanez’s narrow necks, the 5 string is no issue to my fretting hand compared to my 5 string Spector.

I’ll keep the Chrome strings that it came with for now but I will after Christmas purchase some GHS PW’s for the Portamento. It’s a keeper :thumbsup:

Ghook, Supadope, Matthew_84 and 3 others like this.
  7. Has anyone had issues with the highest string sounding really "honky"? It's like it's louder (and brighter) than it should be, and it sounds like it distorts. This is with any combination of the mag pickups or piezo.

I suspect the mag pickups are too close and are effecting it how the string pulls. I dropped them pretty low and it helps, but I still have to play the highest string very lightly to not get this effect.

I am playing a 5 string tuned D-G-C-F-Bb, and have a .032 Chrome for the Bb. The string below doesn't have this effect, but I'm wondering if it's a product of being a little higher up due to the radius of the board, as well as maybe being a thicker string.

Also, if anyone hasn't had this issue, would you mind sharing your setup measurements (relief, actions, pickup height, etc)?

Thanks.

Edit to add: This actually happens acoustically too (ie, not plugged in). It seems to start at the 9th fret and pretty much continues up to the 24th fret. I've looked at the string as I'm fretting it and it's not hitting the board any where other than where I'm fretting. This is weird... Could it be an harmonics thing?

Edit 2: Lol, sorry, seems like this string just may be too close to the board. It's noticeably closer than any other string. Not sure what I was thinking when I set it up, but I'll try raising it.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
  8. sonojono

I’ve noticed with a string change, I get problems with my portamento so I just restring the chromes and it’s back to normal. The G tends to buzz a lot more than other strings and when I adjust the bridge height and truss rod, it still buzzes. Im only putting in GHS Pressurewounds.

9. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    You are aware that you need to readjust the truss rod when changing strings, especially when changing to different brand/gauge/type, right?

10. sonojono

Very aware. I’ll take it into a tech this Monday. Maybe I’m doing it wrong.

11. Anyone had an issue with the board needing to be re-levelled?

I can’t feel any humps, and a straight-edge makes it seems like everything is okay, but in my efforts to setup the bass again, I realized the middle string (5 string bass) needs to be the highest off the board (factoring in the radius) to not have buzzing anywhere.

12. Speaking of truss rod adjustments, it seems that fixed mine. I was going for .012” under the 8th fret (with 1st and 19th fretted) but wondered if making it a little less would help.

Made an adjustment to try to get it it .011” and will take it from there, and while I’m going to wait until tomorrrow to see if needs another adjustment or set string height and intonation, it does play cleaner.

13. dalo

dalo Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have a question regarding the wiring of the piezo section.

I'm about to upgrade the preamp and there are three wires coming from the piezo module. I'm assuming that this section requires power and that white is hot, black is ground, and red is 9v. Can anyone confirm?

14. Litiec

Litiec

Dec 15, 2019
    Hi all
    I just purchased a 5 string one. I have a question regarding the pickup closer to the fretboard. It seem that one of the sides, the one that touches the fretboard, is lower. The other pickup seems to be level so I was wondering if this inclination is normal, since it is a fret scale slightly bigger than others. I don't know. Could someone take a picture of this pickups? Please.

15. _IGP0018.jpg
    Here's a close up of the pickups on my 4 string.
    Sorry, I don't have anything closer.
    Mike

16. Litiec

Litiec

Dec 15, 2019
    Thank you Micheal
    But need to see from another angle. Like more 90 degree rotation around fretboard axis.

17. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    I generally set my pickup height with 3 goals:
    1) so that the pickups have the same volume as each other (if there are other pick ups)
    2) so that the strings on that pickup are all the same volume
    3) so that even if I'm playing hard there's no "clack" from the strings making contact with the pickup.

It doesn't matter if the 2 pickups are not the same height or if one is more crooked top to bottom than the other, as long as the 3 above goals are met.

nbsipics likes this.
  18. Ok. Sorry I couldn't help.
    Mike ;)

19. Litiec

Litiec

Dec 15, 2019
    Thank you for your reply
    I understand that goals and I know the pickups must be adjust accordingly with the thickness of the string. But the inclination is not in that axis but 90 degree axis. As I said the bigger side of the pickup that touches the fretboard is more deep in the wood. Thus creating a a ramp. Anyone think it is normal.

20. Ghook

Ghook Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2018
    Eastern US
    I agree that these are amazing basses. I have a 700 4. It has become my #1. I'm not even trying to be a Fretless purist. The bass is simply a comfortable insturment. I purchased mine at a good price but knowing now, what I do, I would have been fine at $995.