1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Powerpad Gigbag

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by Microbass, May 14, 2018.

1. In my ongoing search for a new gig bag, I've come across the Ibanez Powerpad. Looks good and also looks like it has useful storage for me. Anyone used one and have any thoughts/reviews?

I'm limited for gig bag choice due to the size of my Gibson's. Mono I know is best bet on this front but the Ibby bag is £40 vs £125 minimum for a Mono.. Especially when a £25 Ritter bag has done me perfectly for the last 10 years.

2. Nice looking bag. Not familiar with it. Hows the padding? I have a Gator Transit Series and I'm real happy with it. Fits my P-bass with a little "extra" room. Pretty sure it would accommodate your bass. Give it a look. Good luck in your search.

3. Hey Kipp,
    Ending up pulling the trigger and I’m really happy with it. Enough padding no doubt - wouldn’t mind a bigger main pocket but I can almost fit my Elf into the headstock pocket! Looks really nice and straps are very comfortable.

I like the gator but I think it’s too small for a Grabber - and also 3 times the price! I’m all for best protection possible but my old Ritter did that no problem. The PowerPad has more padding than the Ritter so I’d give this one an 8/10 currently. Build quality looks good enough.. see how it is in 6+ months if it’s a false economy.

4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    which PowerPad did you get? would be great if you could show us some pics...

very little info and cannot found user's pictures on these PowerPad gigbags available.

5. Pulled this one from google... will look at posting some pix in the morning. My only concern is the tan material wearing away quicker than the nylon parts.

Full info here: Accessories - POWERPAD® Gig Bags | Ibanez guitars

Attached Files:

6. I've got the Ibanez PowerPad gigbag, and I love it. It's the only bag I've been able to find that fits my SX Ursa 2 Jazz Bass, since it's 47" long and the PowerPad accommodates it with a couple of inches to spare. It's well built and well padded, at while I don't abuse it I'm sure it would stand up well to abuse. One feature I like is that there's a velcro strap up top which wraps around the neck near the headstock, keeping the bass nice and still while in the bag.

7. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I've seen that... sadly I haven't seen any user pics when googled it. Please posts yours. Various details would be great.

I've seen a lot of gigbags do come with velcro strap to hold the neck, but some have forgotten to include neck pillow to support the neck from the back, which could save the neck from breaking in case the gigbag falls off on its back, especially with a bass which has angled back headstock.

Also would be greatfulf if you could post some of your own pics of your PowerPad gigbag.

8. Not all the pictures are great I'm afraid...
    So - full measurements here - these are as accurate as I can tell and very useful - not many, give out this much detail. Not to say this is a better bag - I doubt it is, compared to Gator or Mono - but for cost this is amazing value.

Aesthetics - 10/10 for me. Lots of different colour options which is a nice change away from the standard all black. mine is from the 'designer' range and as mentioned above, the tan material is a faux-suede, so I'm not sure how well that will last after being weather beaten, scuffed on floors and walls etc.

Utility 8/10 - I can fit an Elf and set of strings in the middle or front pocket. Going forward this would be notebook/pens in the front, Elf, speaker cable and power lead in the middle and a few pedals when I'm not taking my pedal board; most notably would be a boos TU2 and Behringer BDI or B3k (currently undecided on the DG... ;))
    The back pocket would take 2 leads as a minimum.
    I like the head stock pocket but would've preferred this to have been a little lower away from the headstock. I have a handy fold away tool box with a multi driver and assortment of tips inc hex drivers for trussed adjustment.

The side carry handle could've been a tad longer coming out of the body of the bag, so if you have a thick bass this handle may not be the most useful, but I never really use that anyway on a gig bag.

Comfort 10/10 - Straps have a good level of adjustment and movable shoulder pads do take a bit of bite out of them if the bag is full. Nothing is digging into my back.

Build quality TBC - as far as I can see there is no loose stitching, the nylon seems tough enough although not listed as a type of ripstop like you get on heavy duty travel duffels and other bags I've owned in the past. There's an addition flap internally to compensate for strap buttons to avoid that damn hole forming.
    Bridge and headstock areas have reinforced nylon but headstock on this particular model doesn't have any additional padding - none of my previous bags have before and both my basses have angled headstocks, hasn't been an issue so far! I'm happy with this bag so far on the build qualify so far but would want to give it a more thorough testing. It does review well on MF and other sites.

TL;DR
    PROS
    • Padding is sufficient for me (15mm not his bag, other models have up to 25mm)
    • Looks good
    • Pocket space is useful
    • Balance and adjustability
    • Doggo approved.
    • Velcro neck holder
    • Weather proof

Cons
    • Side handle doesn't travel far from body of bag
    • No additional foam around headstock
    • Material around the bottom of the bag could be more robust
    • Zip material tabs seem flimsy and probably won't last long - this won't affect the zip and you can easily replace these
    To conclude... A fantastic value bag for larger instruments (£40/$40) but would be also suitable for your standard Fender and what not. Hope it gets me a good few years use!

IMG_5133.jpg IMG_1099.JPG IMG_5134.jpg IMG_8911.JPG

Aidil likes this.
  9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

good looking bag! thanks for sharing the info/pics! :thumbsup:

Microbass likes this.
  10. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    So, does this mean that inside it, there isn't some kind of pillow to support the neck from the back?

Anyway thanks for uploading the pics.

11. There’s nothing additional - so with the designer range it has 15mm padding either side of the headstock, the same throughout the bag. One of the bag models offers 25mm padding at the base and top of the bag.

Aidil likes this.
  12. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    That's a bummer. Thank you for confirming.

13. nooffswitch

nooffswitch

Dec 27, 2016
    Spokane Wa
    I just bought my second one! The Ultra series is VERY light weight and has a ton of padding, the zippers are massive and the price is right. I'm surprised Ibanez doesn't stamp their name all over these...

14. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I got the brown on tan version for Xmas and have put it through its paces the past few weeks. I put my SB-2 in it.

Here's what I like:
    • I like the look of the bag.
    • I like the feel of the zipper pulls (faux suede or leather).
    • The handle midway up the back of the bag. If I have the bass leaning string-side against the wall, there is a handle between the shoulder straps that allows me to grab it.
    • The velcro strap to hold down the headstock (though my G&L bag had that and I didn't realize or remember until I got the new Ibanez bag).
    Here's what I don't like as much:
    • The shoulder pads are not fixed/stitched to the straps. This allows them to rotate around the flat straps, which means as you put the bag on, sometimes the pads are not between your shoulder and the strap, but on the outside.
    • There is only one zipper per pocket and one to open/close the gig bag. My other two gig bags (G&L and Pro Tec) have opposing zippers on all openings, allowing for easier access to the goodies inside.
    • Even for a non-tall dude like me, the way this bag is made means it sits taller on me. I am constantly hitting the top of the bag/headstock onto doorways and door frames.
    • Similarly, when slinging the bag over my right shoulder, the headstock hangs so far left that I have to be careful, otherwise I whack it again.
    I'm gonna play with the shoulder straps and see if I can adjust the height at which it sits on my back. I don't think I can do anything about the freely rotating shoulder pads, though.

Would I buy it again? Not likely. But it does look great!

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021