Ibanez preamp prob & fix

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kezekiel, Feb 26, 2001.

1. kezekiel

Sep 24, 2000
    I have a new Soundgear SR810, and since I got it I've been plagued with a weird pickup-independent (the P-style humbucker and the J-style single coil) treble buzz that would only go away when I rolled off the treble (this happens even with a fresh battery, and with different cables). It was so bad that at performance volume, everyone would ask, "what is that buzz," and the board operator at the church made me play through an amp instead of direct. I took it to a guitar doc, who said that the noise was probably coming from the preamp... "nothing to be done about it... you might consider getting yourself a nice Jazz bass and be done with it." Since I haven't decided on a 4 or a 5, and I wanted to make do with what I had in the meantime, I had to find another solution.

Here's what I did: I bought a SansAmp DI, cut the treble *completely* on the bass's EQ, and rolled it up on the SansAmp. Viola! Worked like a charm. No more treble buzz, and the board operator said, "sounds great!" I suppose that, in effect, I bypassed the on-board EQ in the treble range, and let the DI handle it. I'm surprised how well it worked.

Anyone else notice this problem from an Ibanez active bass? It has always seemed naturally treble-y, but with a lot of bass boost it can be warmed up to a nice tone with a good bite.
  2. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I had similar problems with mine, fixed with Bartolini pre amp and pick ups. No worries now.
  3. Ibanez basses, with the exception of the BTB series, have crappy preamps. I dont know why Ibanez persists with them, they must know they are crap. Twenty years ago, they made a series called "Musician", and these had great electronics, especially for those days, they were ahead of their time. When they introduced the Soundgear series they went downhill rapidly, IMO.