1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Prestige Anniversary Bass 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Medford Bassman, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Medford Bassman

Medford Bassman Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I recently purchased this bass. It plays incredibly well except for one problem, it crackles a little bit when I slide up or down the neck. It doesn't do it when I press a fret, only on the slide.

It almost sounds like static electricity but it doesn't go away. I don't know if it's a grounding issue or what. I'm looking for a quick answer because otherwise I'll send it back soon and get a replacement within the next two weeks.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Medford Bassman

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    bump

3. Medford Bassman

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    help

4. Im assuming you've tried different outlets and amps to eliminate a power/amp problem?

5. Medford Bassman

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    yes. different amps, outlets and I went straight into a DI box to a board for recording. Stilll the crackling. I think it might be a ground. When I put my hand on the bridge it stops.

6. Are your cords OK?

7. Medford Bassman

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    yes tried different cords as well

8. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    How is the bridge grounded? Doesn't that bass have mono-rail bridges? Those bridges need to to be grounded together. Some people ground them by using a brass nut or bar type string retainer, others install the individual bridges over a single stand of wire that would be visible.

9. Medford Bassman

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    The bridge is mono rail. I'm not sure how it's grounded but I agree with your idea. I don't know if I should disassemble each bridge and look for some type of connection or what.

10. Medford Bassman

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    where would you get a bar string retainer? and where would it go? Sorry for the stupid questions I'm just an old MIA Jazz guy

11. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Are you using a glass slide, or your finger? Perhaps you're just not used to the sound of the new bass + slide + roundwound strings?

12. Medford Bassman

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    using finger. it is definitelya crackling sound that isn't supposed to be there.

13. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    hrmmm. Can't help you there. Can't say i've ever experienced this before.

14. Did you call the place you got it from explaining the problem? Go from there, but I wouldn't take it apart, and void the warranty (if it's new that is). It has a 1 year warranty new.

15. I don't think its a grounding issue because you say it happens when you slide up the neck, which implies you are fretting the strings at that point, which would ground you and eliminate the ground buzz.

16. onemorebass

onemorebass Supporting Member

I had a similar issue with a DJ4 a while back. Really bad static/crackling anytime you touched, slid or brushed against the strings or pickguard... really weird. I ended shielding the cavities with copper tape and soldering a ground lead connecting each cavity as well as the bridge and control plate. It worked great, no more issues with static or humming, it was dead quiet.

17. Medford Bassman

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    does anyone know why when I put my hand on the bridge, it stops?

18. Medford Bassman

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    I'm not going to mess with it. I'm making an appointment to go to the authorized Ibanez repair facility. It's about 3 hours away but the bass is under warranty so I might as well get it repaired correctly and without charge.

19. Medford Bassman

Aug 8, 2007
    Medford, Wisconsin
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. This is what makes TB the best...the members.

20. ^ Smart Move - let us know what it was ;)