1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez Prestige series vs Washburn Custom Shop (xb925/926)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tharos, Oct 15, 2013.

1. Tharos

Tharos

Sep 16, 2013
    Hi everyone!

I want to buy a new 5 or 6 string bass and I've been reading a lot about the Washburn XB925 and XB926 and the Ibanez Prestige series. They both seem pretty similar and both very good.

My first bass was a Washburn XB500 and I really like it (bantam series, early 90s: 5 strings with little space, active, low action, large radius, 24 frets), now I want something similar but with better quality and specs. Looking for something like that, I came across the Prestige and Custom Shop series.

I live in Argentina and it's not easy to find good basses here, and I can't try everything out. I'm going to travel to the US next month and I want to buy a bass there and bring it home, but I won't have a lot of time to try it out so I want to go with a specific model in mind.

So far it seems like Prestige and Custom Shop are both very good and have similar specs, but I want to hear some differences about them.

Is one of them straight out better than the other in build quality? What differences do they have regarding sound and feel?

Any info is appreciated, thanks in advance.

PS: If any of you is selling one of this basses, PM me. I'll be in the Northern East coast during Nov 2013.

2. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS

I am not familiar with the Washburn models at all. I associate them with lower quality, or beginner gear, but like I said I don't know them, so I could be wrong.

I do own an Ibanez Prestige made in Japan, though. It is as professional of a bass as any high end bass I've owned. It sounds great and feels amazing. I have been playing neck through basses only for the last decade or more and the Prestige is the first and only bolt on neck I've owned (besides 20 years ago) and the bolt on neck really adds low end punch in a band situation.

My vote is for the Prestige. I MAY be selling mine to finance a new one, but undecided today...

3. Tharos

Tharos

Sep 16, 2013
    Typical washburn basses ARE lower quality (built in China or Indonesia) but I've heard that the custom shop (built in USA) are really really good, top of the line instruments. I haven't yet been able to play one, though.

4. Tharos

Tharos

Sep 16, 2013
  5. Tharos

Tharos

Sep 16, 2013
    Any info, anyone?

6. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Well if your coming to America and "go with a specific model in mind" as your said in your post I would be considering something else then those 2. Not that they wouldn't be good basses.I love high end Ibanez basses but I NEVER see them in stores above the 1200 series new and sometimes used 2000-3000. But all of them have been excellent and versatile and built great. I never seen a high end Washburn and rarely ever see the cheaper ones. Your best bet just IMO if your coming over and trying out would be to look at other Ibanez basses like the ATK and 700 sound gear series which are really nice basses and have a lot of specs as some of the prestige basses and are readily available.

7. Tharos

Tharos

Sep 16, 2013
    Thanks man. Any input is greatly appreciated.

8. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS

+1 I agree. Good point. If you are coming to the USA, and the East Coast then go to stores like Sam Ash and Guitar Center. They definitely have the Ibanez to try, but I don't know about the Washburn. That Washburn is really nice looking. From the looks alone it looks like the Ibanez has the more versatile EQ system, but the Washburn has the huge soap bar pickup type that I love, personally. They look like Alembic type pickups. The bottom line is you need to PLAY both and see what neck feels better to you. The EQ is easily changeable but the neck is the bass, in my opinion.