1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez Quality Control

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hevy T, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Seems like lately the Quality Control Inspectors at Ibanez must be taking a long vacation or something. I desperatly want to love the SDGR's but I have seen sooooo many problems with them lately that it has turned me away from Ibanez.
    1. Bad neck joint
    2. Split wood in the body
    3. amazing fret buzz (something I noticed on the fretted version)
    4. nut problems
    5. Bridge problems
    6. pickups not working
    7. Noisy pots
    8. Output jack not working

Is it just me or does Ibanez QC just SUCK!!!!

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    :eyebrow:

3. EnviroMetal

EnviroMetal

Feb 16, 2013
    I've never had those problems.
    I've bought three used Ibanezes, a Sr1200, SRX400, and GSR200 and a new SR300M and haven't had an issue with any of them.

4. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    It's just you - I've probably owned over a dozen Ibanez basses, and none of them suffered any of the problems you listed...

- georgestrings

5. Blind Rat

Blind Rat

Apr 23, 2009
    Here
    I own several Ibanez Basses and have never come across these problems.

6. Andy_D

Andy_D

Nov 28, 2009
    Corpus Christi, TX
    I own three Ibanez basses and they are solid as a rock. Very consistant quality from what I can see.

7. Both my Ibbys are top notch

8. xdanxx

xdanxx

Mar 12, 2008
    How many Ibanez basses have you played on? Ive never had any problems.

9. msptvyhn

msptvyhn

Mar 11, 2013
    I own several Ibanez Basses and have never come across these problems.[​IMG]

10. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I owned a;
    1. BTB 475 with scratchy pots (used)
    2. SR 500 new with scratchy pots
    3. SR 505 unbelievable fret buzz or high action - take your pick
    4. SR 300 - new weak pickups on the d and g strings
    5. SR 370m same pickup problem
    6. All of them had a weird ting sound on the high strings with the treble turned up
    7. ATK 300 the best one I have had but that even had the ting sound

I also know of a guy that had a new SR 505 and 500 with a bad input jacks. I looked at 2 new ATK 200's one the electronics wound not work(yes we checked the batteries) and the other one had a bad truss rod. I just played a new SR 755 (beautiful but there was a problem with either the bridge or nut seemed like the G string was being pinched.

With the exceptions of the BTB and ATK 300 all the basses were brand new.

I don't know! perhaps I just have bad luck with Ibanez?? I want to like them cause I love their look and feel on the 4 strings. The 5'vers are a little narrow for my taste

I read a thread last night about another TB'er who has split wood on his premium SR, and the one before that had a neck shim problem and the heal never laid flat with the body.

BTW I did try a SR 305 a couple days ago, it played beautifully but I wanted a wider string spacing so I got a Sterling Ray 35 wich is more to my hands liking.

11. I didn't think they had QC after the 2 cheapos I started on & returned......gsr200fm or something

12. I've never had any of the issues you mention with any Ibbys I've owned, but I'm not an Ibby SR fan anyway because the necks seem unstable and action changes too easily with slight weather changes.

But I have to wonder: Why are you concerned about "fret buzz" when you're looking at getting a fretLESS?

Stand up, put your clothes back on, and quit flipping the lights off and on. It's gonna be OK.:D

With all of the issues that you've had with Ibanezes, why would you even look at another?

13. Ibanez are really hit or miss.... you might get a sr505 that works perfectly for years but at the same time you might get an sr prestige where the electronics die a week after owning the bass. I've stayed away from them for a while now. Shame really I was pretty close to buying an Ashula but was worried about the reliability.

14. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    yes its just you.

15. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    +1

I've owned em over the years..IMHO,they make very good mid/higer end stuff AND probably the best (okay, most playable) entry level basses.
    (I know..i know..squiers and all that, my point is that they come outa the box very playable, whereas EVERY other brands "entry level" basses have mile hi action which is nearly Impossible for beginners.)

Yeah, ive maybe picked up 1 or 4 over my years off the wall at GC, that had been dropped, or something..but 19 out of 20 times, they are very playable [off the wall] vs. most other brands.
    The only other brand that I can always grab off the wall and be near 100% playable is EBMM, but heck, with them your payin 1300+ it dang well better be playable.

YMMV etc..all that jazz. (no pun intended with the Jazz ref) ;)

16. the one i owned was rife with electronics problems, the playability of the neck wasn't there, and it sounded stale and lifeless.

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Depends on which necks - the multi-ply necks like the sr505, 605, 755, 905, and Prestige necks are extremely stable, IME - my sr905's neck is one of the most stable I've ever owned, as was the sr3005 I had before that... I did have an sr535 that's neck wasn't that stable, but that's the only one out of atleast a dozen, and I suspect it was all maple and not multi-ply...

- georgestrings

18. nikolozj

nikolozj

Dec 15, 2011
    It seems like you're buying broken guitars :S

however, most of things you listed is matter of setup and once it's set up those problems ar gone.

except.... output jack not working is factory FAIL and pots.
    split wood is not a tragedy, I own japanese made roadstar ii and it has split wood body, but it's amazing instrument.

and neck joint is something that depends on user. if you like to bend your neck and shake it a lot like Sheehan, you're gonna get your neck off the body from any bolt on neck bass.

19. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Suckered for punishment;)

I have to deal with long and mcquade for financing and there only a few fretLESS they carry. Squier vm, fender jazz the sr and 1700for a tony franklin. I love jazz basses but for a fretLESS I want a thicker sound but don't want and can't afford the tf sig. I wish there was a mim p fretLESS. I do have a problem special Squier body here that I might hunt down a neck for though

20. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Sounds to me more like a problem with your retailer and how they keep their merchandise rather than the instruments...

Pots get scratchy if they don't maintain the basses in good condition, dust builds up and/or they get corroded. Same goes for fret buzz and action - if they don't perform regular maintenance, instruments can and will probably develop setup issues. On the other hand, any instrument needs an adjusting period to the climate in your house. I have the same problem, it take a few days (sometimes weeks) until they settle down.

I've heard of some SRs having the nut cut a bit too low (I had a similar issue myself with an older SR but I've swapped the stock one with a Warwick JAN-III - it has the exact same dimensions), but apart from that...bad neck joints, splits, bridge problems and bad pickups? Nope, never.

IMO their QC is actually very very good (especially on the new stuff).

One more thing: Ibanez usually sets up the basses (especially SRs) very low. If you play with an aggressive touch, you will get fret buzz no matter what; you'll be forced to play with high action. SRs require a very light touch when played. For ex I have a very aggressive playing style and I also play with a pick - so on a factory setup I normally get a bit of buzz. It's an easy fix though, just turn that truss rod a notch - after you let it accomodate to your house climate ;)