1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ODDBALL, Apr 26, 2006.

1. ODDBALL

ODDBALL Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2005
    Salida, CA
    I have a k5 and all tho the neck is very fast nice body and everything, the pickups suck. I wanted to change them out to the EMGs 40DC 18v with a EMG pre what do you guys think? Please try to stay off my back about buying the K5, It really is a nice bass. (accept for the pickups, I have to crank up my lows on my EQ just hear the B string. I think the EMGs are the ticket) Thanks for any info :)

2. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    omg, like, hahaha, you have a K5!!!!!
    seriously, i have one too, and yes, the pups are less than stellar, depending on what you're looking for.

EMGs sound really good. :)

3. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    build some. i really want to build my own pickups.

4. I would suggest just changing the pre-amp/electronics first - Sometimes I think all the Ibanez elecronics would do much better if they stuck with a volume and a tone control with a pot selector switch, and that's all (like my Roadstar guitar - it's worth only 90 bucks on ebay, but I'll put it up against an American Strat any day.)

If I want a 3 band EQ with variable mid control +, I'm going with a Demeter, Aguilar or Barolini. Besides, I detest Ibanez's stacked pots.

5. +1

I'm having a Demeter installed in my (1996) SR505 as we speak. I expect this will go a long way toward giving my Ibby the balls I think it needs.

6. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Please consider NOT putting a EMG 40DC pickup in the bridge position. Rumor has it that it's voiced for the Musicman position, and I believe it.

I had a 40DC in my bridge position. Unusable on it's own to my ears.So harsh treble response.

I switched it out for a 40CS. Huge improvement IMO.