Ibanez RB850 pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mjl, Jan 18, 2003.

1. mjl

Jan 18, 2003
    Hi I'm new here, and new to electrics.

I am building an electric bass for a friend of mine who has an Ibanez Roadstar II RB850 and wants to duplicate the pickups, pots and switches on her new bass.

This electric bass busness is all new to me so please bare with me as I stumble around with the terminology.

The Ibanez has two soapbar humbuckers and I had a friend put an Ohm meter on them. They read 17000 ohms.There are three pots, one is volume and the other two are push/pull pots. When you push the pots, the ohm meter reads 8500 ohms, so I'm assuming that means the humbucker is cut in half when you push the pot, right?

The bass I am building is a 5 string, neck through, with a 7 piece laminated neck and three piece laminated wings.

So my question is, what type of pups, or what brand should I look for to duplicate the Ibanez. Also, what pots do I look for. Is there a wiring diagram available for the RB850? I have been to the Ibanez website, and they do not have diagrams for this model.

Thank you all for helping
    Mark ô¿ô
  2. Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    bump. anyone know where to find matsumoku era ibby wiring diagrams?
  3. thump_dumpster

Aug 11, 2009
    Denton, tx
    i'd just take it apart and trace everything and draw my own
  4. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I owned one of those in the 80's. My recollection is that there was a blend, then two push/push pots were master volume and master tone, and each switch was a coil-split for one of the pickups.

The wiring diagram is going to be fairly basic. Start with any of the Jazz Bass-type diagrams that includes a blend pot, and treat the switches in the pots as if they were just separate switches. To be honest, the push/push switches were a pain 'cause you couldn't tell what setting the pickup was in by looking at it. I had mine re-wired with separate individual switches, and if you're wiring one from scratch, I'd recommend doing the same thing, or at least using pots with push-pull switches so you can have one setting be "up" and the other "down".

I'm not sure what pickups would make a good substitution for the Ibanez pickups. Something like a MM-type humbucker might work, but I don't really know how close they would come in terms of tone.