1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez RB850 wiring help?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Nugun, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    Alright so I got this very used RB850 from a pawn shop for a ridiculously low price. Its beat to hell, but I thought it'd be a fun project bass.

My first real issue is the wiring. It's got the original Super H humbuckers but the previous owner wired it like a P (V/T) leaving it with 2 open control spaces. I was wanting to fill in 1 of the control spaces (as I was planning on refinishing) and rewire the pickups V/V/T with a series/parallel push pull pot.

So here are my questions. Does anyone...

1.) Have any diagrams to help me accomplish this?
    2.) Know the correct potentiometers to use and/or a source to get them?
    3.) Have any other recommendations for wiring or an idea for a 4th control instead of plugging up the last space?

I attached a few pics in case my descriptive skills were not up to snuff. I apologize ahead of time in case they aren't of sufficient quality. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand bump.

3. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    Come on guys, any help would be very much appreciated! This is the bass I decided to take to college with me so I'd like to get it up and running ASAP as I'm not gonna go home to get one of the other two for over a month! I've got the groove in me and I need to get it out!!! :bassist:

Also, bump.

4. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    Pretty please?

5. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    One... final... dying... bump...

6. marty65

marty65

May 15, 2010
    Ipswich Suffolk
    Have you tried contacting Ibinez ?i used to own one of these, monster sounding bass! Good luck

7. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I am pretty sure there a lot of people who have the diagram in here, you can do a search around. Never thought of going active?

Some passive recommendation will be the stellartone tonestyler.

8. marty65

marty65

May 15, 2010
    Ipswich Suffolk
    Ok, my rb 850 only had 3 pots, 2 push/pull volume and a shared tone, your one seems to have had an extra tone fitted and then been stopped back to a far simpler layout altogether, now. It's been a long time, but I am sure the push/pull worked as coil taps ?

9. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    I was just trying to do a basic jazz lay out with a push/pull series/parallel is all. I found diagrams, but none with pickups that had 4 wires each like these Super H's and these pots are so old and soldered to hell I can't even see the values. :/

10. Hi as the previous poster has said the controls as stock were 2 push/pull coild taps which worked in a similar fashion as the then current Dimarzio pick ups which had 4 wired to work that feature..a search on Google images doesnt come up with any Rb850 modles with 4 holes so mabye someone has drilled one..saying that ive included a pic of a RB850 which bass player Geoff Turner of Aussie band the The Radiators has been playing since 1986 and hes added a input jack to the front of the bass

Leslie

Attached Files:

11. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    The wires are colored as follows.

[​IMG]

This makes the individual pickup's coils in series with each other.

Combine that with the following schematic to get your S/P switching.

[​IMG]

The DPDT you see can be a standalone switch or a push/pull pot's switching section. The "up" position is series. Since you have four control spots, I'd just put a switch in one of the holes instead of a push/pull.
    Since those pickups are humbuckers, the pots should be 500K linears for volumes and a 500K audio (logarithmic) for the tone.

12. Nugun

Nugun

Dec 31, 2011
    Mesquite, TX
    AH! Thank you so much Stealth that pretty much answers my question perfectly almost. However I do have one more. Sorry to sound like a newbie here (because I am when it comes to wiring), but how do I know which wires are which? I ask because instead of red, white, blue and black I have purple, yellow, black and white. Also the wiring in the second picture is kinda confusing since it has only two wires for each pickup and I'm not too great with this kind of stuff (yet). :bag:

Again, any help is always appreciated. :help:

13. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I can't see it clearly on your photo, so you have to tell me - which color wire is connected where (purple, yellow, B, W)? Let me know for each of the pickups.

As for the second image, it has two wires for each pickup - once you wire each of the humbuckers internally (that is, connect the two coils together in series or parallel), externally your pickup will only have two wires - a hot (red) and a cold (ground).

14. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida