1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ibanez RB850!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Standalone, May 6, 2010.

1. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I've been working on collecting Matsumoku factory Ibanez basses. I have an '81, an '82, and just got an '85, which may be my favorite one yet.

The "super H" pickup has been my favorite since taking home one of my student's basses to repair it. What a huge tone. My new bass is minty looking, but the push pull pots are worn and don't keep their position. Even electronically hobbled, the bass has what I like in bass tone-- it's more about how it reacts to how you play it-- that it can move from clean to thumpy to a rock-y grind when you dig in.

[​IMG]
    ibanez-rb850-10.

El Papa likes this.
  2. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    D@mn that thing looks GREAT!

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I had one 10 years ago, EXACTLY like that. I switched to fretless, and sold it. Awesome bass. Perfect balance, good tone, fast neck, beautiful to look at. If I played fretted, I'd buy it back (new owner still has it!).

4. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    I traded an ElectroHarmonix memory man and an inexpensive electric mandolin for it.

That is not my photo, but mine is in similar near mint condition. Just a few light fingernail marks visible under the neck p/up. Unlike my '81, which shows some love marks here and there.

Did Sting play this model?

5. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    No. Sting is more commonly associated with two other Ibanez models: the RB888 and the Musician bass. But the RB850 is an amazing instrument. Here’s my ‘85 model in the “Royal Violet” finish:

[​IMG]

6. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Nice bass, Garp.

I did know about the Musician-- I bought my '81 Roadster RS924 in London. Always wanted its neck through sibling--
    "Sting's" Musician MC924.
    1-022-022409-Ibanez-MC924.
    I totally missed a few Musicians for sale cheap on TB when I first joined. Then prices went up.

7. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    A quote from the ibanezregister.com
    Owner Jeffery Hunt wrote (co-incidentally, he (mis)spells his first name as I spell my last name!)

8. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    An update for posterity— RB 850’s are FujiGen, not Matsumoku. The push pull pots seem to be fine now, and it’s my main gigging bass! Pretty good for a pedal trade and a $100 mandolin!