Ibanez RB960 for pick style rock/metal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jcburn, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Hi everyone - my basses over the last few years have had passive PJ Dimarzios, but can get a great deal on this mid 80's MIJ Ibby. Can it do a good punchy rock sound, and how would it behave with overdrive pedals?
    :hyper:
    :bassist:

2. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I have one of them, with EB Cobalt strings. I play metal/hardrock. Mostly with fingers, but you can get a good sound out of mine with a pick too. I use a Darkglass B7K pedal to get a really punchy sound into a Mesa Carbine M6. I don't distort it heavily, as we have enough distorted guitars as it is, but you could crank up the B7K until the speakers bleed, if you wanted too. :)

The Ibanezes of this period are just lovely to play if you like the neck profile. They aren't Pbass or Jbass in my view, but lovely. I have a bunch of them just because of that. Hope that helps.

8627372445_28c944113e.jpg
    Ibanez Roadstar II Series RB-960 (1985) by bjelkeman, on Flickr

3. Thanks for the reply. Just wondering how you would describe the neck profile and the radius of the fretboard.
    Also what is the generic tone like?

4. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Neck profil is thinner than most Pbass necks I have tried. Not so baseball bat-like. It is somewhat wider than a Jbass, I think. But then I am no P/Jbass fan in general, so I am no expert at their necks. 41 mm wide and 21 mm thick at the first fret. Radius of the fretboard? Seems similar to a Soundgear fretboard (which have much slimmer necks my SR700 is 38 mm x 20 mm).

Sound? It is an active bass, so you can get quite a few sounds out of it. It is less brawny than an RB850 but less bright than a modern Soundgear Ibanez. I am not that good at describing a sound of a bass I think. :)

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021