Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ibanez rd family is growing up..!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toranabass, Jan 11, 2005.

1. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    hello all!

I've been searching on the net a good price for an 2nd bass, I was gasing on ibanez, a rd 600 (only 1 thread on TB, appears to be unaviable in US) when I felt down on a german webshop, an big surprise, the 600 has a great sister, the 900 :) .

searched on ibanez.com, nothing. (maybe I neeed new glasses)

I wanted to get your oppinion on what kind of sound will it give, and wich one to choose.

take a look at the specs:

rd 900:

RD-900FM:

- Flame Maple wing w/Bubinga stripe body
    - 5pcs. Maple/Bubinga thru-neck
    - Rosewood fingerboard
    - Accu-Cast B20 bridge (19mm string spacing)
    - Bartolini mk1-4-F neck pu
    - Bartolini mk1-4-R bridge pu
    - Cosmo Black hardware
    - incl. Case

pics:
    http://www.musik-produktiv.de/shop2/shop04.asp/artnr/100018410/sid/!18121995/quelle/listen

rd 600:

- Quilted Maple top/Mahogany body
    - 1pc. Maple neck
    - Rosewood fingerboard
    - Accu-Cast B200 bridge (19mm string spacing)
    - Seymour DuncanBasslines SJB neck pickup
    - Seymour DuncanBasslines SMB bridge pickup
    - EQB-2D 2-band eq w/EQ on-off switch
    - Chrome hardware

pics on ibanez.com (europe)

:D question:

wich one can get a full, in your face sound?
    is the bart mk1 a good pickup combo?

off thread:

take a look on the sr1000, and the btb 550...

http://www.musik-produktiv.de/shop2/shop03.asp/sid/!18121995/ob_id/531/seite/12/nur_lieferbare/nein

I how a mij '75 reissue with barts+ gotoh bridge+ amg bt active pre, a serious animal that ain't no fear facing the Marcus Miller signature... (smoke, no joke!) but the thin neck is not so comfortable for my big hands.

would I be desappointed with the sound of the ibanezes?
    tone? I'm on the dark side of the booooooooooom ;)

they could give a different tone with the mm, but I like mm tones too for cutting through.

I find used p and j basses too expensive for me, even used (overpriced you're right!) so I'd like to keep the thread on ibanez.

thank you a lot guys!

2. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Have you tried a BTB??

the BTB1000 or (if you can find one of the discontinued) 510e are amazing instruments that can give you a huge variety of tonal options at a great price. I had to play one to believe it but I like them more then any other bass I've played that retails for under $1200.

Even the entry level BTB's are fantastic and will serve you well.

3. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    thank you :) !

yes I saw the btb 550 (new model too) but I find the spec not so good as the rd's, and they don't sell the btb 1200 in a 4 string...

4. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA

What do you mean by specs?

I looked on the french Ibanez site and you are right- they don't sell a 4 string version of the BTB1000- which is too bad really. You could always have one shipped from the states.

Here is a review I wrote about the BTB1000 I compared side to side with a G&L-2000 and a Carvin 70.

The Ibanez blew me away.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157935

5. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    http://www.musik-produktiv.de/shop2/shop04.asp/artnr/100018400/sid/!18121995/quelle/listen

btb 550 is 585€, rd 600 499€, rd 900 715€ btb 1000 if aviable is about 1200$ + 160$ shipping + 19.6% tax = 1100€ ok it's a killer bass, much more interesting than "regular" ones.

on the pics the 550 looks like btb 1000, but pickups will be other than the 1000 I think. woods appears to stay the same.
    I think the bass you get is related to the money you spend on it.

any experiences with the mk1 electronics?

6. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    The main reason to go with a 1000 (or 510e) over another Ibanez is that the above mentioned come with Bart pickups and pre-amp. The BtB550 comes with ibanez pups and electronic and while they sound great- they don't compare to the Barts.

From just looking at the stats you have listed I would not purchase the RD 600 over the btb550 for these reasons (some personal):

1) One piece neck- You are going to have to be adjusting your truss rod all the time with a one piece over a 5 piece neck.

2) Exposed pole pieces- I just don't like pups with exposed pole pieces in the neck position- makes slapping a bit harder because you can hit the pole pieces.

3) I prefer summetrical headstocks versus in-line tuners. I also like the headstock to match the body paint/finish.

4) The BTB has mid shaping. I can not stress enough how useful this is till you play a bass with mid shaping. This alone would make me want to choose almost any bass over it's competition.

5) The BTB has 3 band EQ while the RD has 2 band.

The best way to figure out what you like is to go out any play it. If you were really down for a BTB1000 you can buy one in the US on ebay for around $1000 and have it shipped out to you for less then $200. No sales tax is going to probably be cheaper then playing for shipping.

People are going to recommend basses to you but you won't know what is best for you till you go out and play them.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I played both the Rds. IMO they both kinda sucked. Weak, poor tone. Meh.

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I believe he meant SR900, there is no such thing as an RD900

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    if you want an ibanez, get a sr3000e :bassist:
    [​IMG]

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Those would make a great tenor IMO.

11. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    There was a limited run last year on "RoadGear" basses which never caught on. Had a musicman type pickup and a "J" type on it.

12. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    yesterday I didn't care about the seller's description, but yes he describes me a sr 900! the pics of the rd 900 doesn't match: 5 pieces neck, and on the pic: 1 piece :eyebrow:

maybe he don't know what he's selling.

I'm getting suspicious about the rd 900.

13. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I know. The second bass is a roadgear. There is no RD900.. He meant SR900.

14. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    right!

that's what the picture shows!

the uncatchable rd 900:

[​IMG]

the rd 600:

http://www.musik-service.de/ProduX/Bass/Instrumente/Ibanez_RD600_4Saiter_Bass.htm

as you can see, few differences between both basses.
    did you try a 900?

maybe I must re-consider my hope to import a talbo bass from Japan, poor information about it, but appears to be a great bass :ninja: (my crazy dreams...)
    or get a warwick corvette std ash... or a framus soulman 4?

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i thought it was roadgear 300 and 500 or something, sigh.

16. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    I played the roadgear 300, hhhhhhhhm, put it back on the stand after few notes... I was aiming a higher model.

yes it's still talking about rd 600 & 900, but the things I can read from those basses, makes me think that rd series are not the top of the line @ ibanez.

17. RollingMonkey

RollingMonkey

Nov 11, 2004
    I personally prefer the RD600 to all the other Ibanez basses I've tried, some of which are in the SR series.

The RD300 and 500 are CRAP, but the Seymour Duncan pickups on the 600 are a redeeming feature. The 600 is fairly versatile, IMO.

18. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

thread in progress :D

can you go further (sound, playability, finish, quality, a personnal review?)

thanks a lot!

19. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
  20. I own an RD 600 and that photo above is the newer RD900 with a flame top rather than a quilted maple top of my RD600. No big deal - the top is about 1/64 inch of vaneer over a nice mahogany body. PUs look the same - mine on the 600 are real Seymour Duncan basslines Jazz and a MM humbucker. I got mine for about $500 new from Germany at www.thomann.de