Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez RD600: looks nice! How does it play?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gianni, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    Hello!

The Ibanez RD600: it looks good and sports good PUP, could it be the ultimate affordable piece of gear?

Does anyone tried it and can share his opinion?

Ciao!!!
    Gianni

2. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    :hyper:

Anyone?

Ciao!
    Gianni

3. Hey Gianni,
    I played one yesterday at Guitar Center. It plays very nicely and sounds huge. The price is right, too. Back in the heady days of impulse buying, I just might have bought it.

4. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    Thank you Dave!

Duncans PUPs, active electronics with bypass switch, coil switching for the MM PUP...
    I own more expensive instrument but I feel a strong GAS for that bass...

There are some Ibanez that have a great value for the money, as the old Roadsters, the Musicians or Atks, and also own some personality.
    Maybe the Roadgears are imitations of the Laklands, but there are subtle variations that are nice.

Ciao!
    Gianni

5. toranabass

toranabass

Nov 8, 2003
    France/Albi
    I was watching that bass to make a backup for my jazz, I saw it's made of mahogony, how does it sound about? hot? mid rangy? :ninja:

other basses I was GASing were: ibanez srx700, sr900.

sure it looks lovely with that flammed maple top body, and the abalone dots on the neck, but is it a so great deal?

anyone more tried that bass?

6. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    :hyper:

Did someone else try it??

Ciao!
    Gianni

7. ShamrayBass

ShamrayBass The Bass Custom Shop

Dec 29, 2004
    Moscow. RUSSIA
    I tried one the day before yesterday (it was in our shop for repairs - it had one bad fret, and some poor solder joints in the electronics)

Once it was fixed up, it really sounded good! Nice even response, with good sustain. The preamp was a bit 'hissy', but they all are in that price range (especially when you crank them up full)

The flame top was very nicely figured, although i thought the slightly dull finish took a little bit away from its beauty - they should have used a high-gloss lacquer... The hardware is VERY nice!

All in all, i think they are very good value for the money

8. Seems like everyone here tried one - but I actually own one. And yes I bought it like a previous coment - as a Jazz backup bass. Hoever I seem to play it more than the Jazz now. It's got active PUs so it's much more flexible. Stragely though the Humbucker MM Duncan is near the bridge and the single is near the neck so there's no big differenvce in the sound of these two. Most of the EQ changes are from the actives - although it has a really great passive basic sound. Neck action is low, come with polymer couted strings, no case.

Plays pretty much like a Jazz and it was that reason I bought it so that I didn't have a big change if I needed to swap fast. Neck feel a bit wider but thinner back to front. Both pickups are Seymours and great - better than my MIM Jazz. Balance is a bit more neck heavy than a Jazz, neck cutaway more and 24 frets. Uses the same case as its the same overall size as a Jazz.

Enough review?