ibanez ric

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nataku, Apr 24, 2005.

1. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    me and my guitarist took a trip to guitar center yesterday and i spotted a ric up on the wall i climbed up to get it down, and discovered that it was an ibanez. they said it was vintage but didnt know what year. looked exactly like a ric with slightly bigger pups and the bridge pup cover was taken off. i was played it for about 15 min through an ampeg combo amp. the pick tone was pretty sweet, but i wasnt digging the finger tone too much, with any combo of pickups or tones. it was very light in comparison to a real ric and was in pretty decent condition. the pricetag was $550. does any1 have any info on these or anything?
  2. One of the Ibanez lawsuit basses of the 70s or so. Basically Ibanez copied many bass designs and got sued by Fender, Rickenbacker, and other companies. Overall they weren't bad basses and likely cheaper than the originals. In fact, many of Ibanez's basses back then were very good.
  3. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    However, any way you look at it, it ain't a real Rick.
  4. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Darkstar candidate? :eek:
  5. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    you could say that but what about the people like cliff burton who had a jazz and Gibson humbucker pickups in their rics. is his not a ric? eh... i am just babbling.

if you like it and it looks good then get it. who cares if its a copy instrument?
  6. xpcapox

Nov 19, 2004
    did he for real?
    any more info on that?
  7. xpcapox

Nov 19, 2004
    awsome,never noticed, now i know what i really how to do to get that cliff sound if i ever find a nice used ric to purchase.
  8. elgranluis

elgranluis Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    well, that is a real ric, even if you cut it up to look like a flying V. The ibanez, even covered in gold and chocolate, will be an ibanez forever.
  9. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    note that he used an Alembic spoiler and an Aria Pro II after that...

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...story I heard about Cliff's Ric was during his recording sessions during Kill 'em All he had a lot of trouble with its elecs. He gave it to a friend/local dude from the studio & the guy re-wired & installed new pup's on the Ric. Not sure what kind of mods or exact pup's but it obviously made a difference...

PS: Someone from Oldbridge NJ(Metal Militia) who was around them at the time, spoke of this unto me.
  11. This site should help a bit:

Most, if not all, of the -70s lawsuit era Ibanez's were built in the Matsumouku(sp?) factory in Japan- alot of the guitars built in that factory at that time are recognized now as being well built axes- some argue that they were better built than the originals of that time. Fender and Gibson copies are the ones usually mentioned. I don't recall much said about the Ric copies in comparison to the real deal, but at the least I'd suspect the build quality to be on par with anything else Matsumouku made.

Here's a link to some history on the Matsumouku factory:

Just my 2 cents, but $550 seems a bit steep. I was shopping earlier this year for either a Gibson EB4L copy or a Ric copy. Found a few Ric copies on Ebay, and I don't recall any of them going for more than $300( I wound up with a Electra EB4L clone- I'm a sucker for that look). You may be able to contact a few owners at the Rathole's forum and see what they think is a fair price.

Hope this helps.

12. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
  13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
  14. David Okun

David Okun

Apr 10, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I saw one of these at Guitar Center yesterday too.

Used Lawsuit Ibanez, in pretty poor shape, going for $750 or so.

15. David Okun

David Okun

Apr 10, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    It was sitting next to the $1100 Rics, btw
  16. xpcapox

Nov 19, 2004
    Yup i know, i just never noticed tht the PUs were different on the ric.
  17. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    It was dead on but bolt on. Electronically it was no where near a Ric. I loved Squire and was a poor college student so it was the best I could do.
  18. nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    thnx for all the info and links, prolly not gonna get it, ill just save up for that MM sig higher up on the wall