1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ibanez Rickenbacker 4001 (lawsuit)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MKey, Apr 3, 2018.

1. MKey

MKey

Apr 3, 2018
    I've been looking to buy this Ibanez Rickenbacker Lawsuit from the 70's. I need some help to confirm if this is the real (fake) bass. I only have this one picture right now.

Anyone have any ideas?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    GreaserMatt likes this.
  2. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    Looks about right for that kind of ilk...bolt or thru neck?....I'd buy it myself assuming its not mad money and shagged!

3. MKey

MKey

Apr 3, 2018
    Thanks! I have only seen this picture, so I dont know if it's bolt or thru neck. But if it's an Ibanez it would be bolted right?

4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    That should be a neck thru.

Rompin Roddy and MKey like this.
  5. You should find pictures of the Ibanez model on the thread from Quadzilla about Fakenbackers.... If I'm not mistaken if was a neck through ...

MKey likes this.
  6. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    I'd think an ibanez version would be of the better end of these...and not plywood......you have to remember tho, that Japan was the 'China' of those days, and didn't always turn out good stuff..;)

MKey likes this.
  7. Where is the Ibanez logo? The truss rod cover is just plain white.

BAG and Standalone like this.
  8. MKey

MKey

Apr 3, 2018
    Thats what I thought.

BAG and Standalone like this.
  9. Get more photos before you buy it.

pudgychef likes this.
  10. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    These Early Rick clones go for good money at the moment, so if it's a decent bass it's likely worth having anyway , ibanez or not..

11. JKB1957

JKB1957

Jul 18, 2015
    So you want to make sure it's a real, "fake" RIC, as opposed to a "fake," "fake" RIC.
    Only one thing you can do in this situation, "fire the drummer."

GoesThump, makaspar, JeffC23 and 6 others like this.
  12. I'd want to make sure it's a real Japanese Rick copy as they can be quite valuable. The Chinese ones seem to be hit or miss and are really worthless in my opinion.

13. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    From the one fuzzy pic it looks to me like one of the older copies, pre Chinese 'era'. Which were generally MIJ
    It appears to have the Rick like parrallel non volute headstock, the China ones seem to mainly have the leaning back angle.
    Need better pics really.
    Depends how much it is too...I'd probably buy it

14. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    This thread makes me recall my old punk band's name....The Fake Replicas

SirMjac28 and nbsipics like this.
  15. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    This thread implies that people are now flogging fake copies of fake copies of instruments... which I find ludicrous.

If you were going to all the trouble of making a fake Ric, why would you make a fake Ibanez copy of a Ric?

For that reason alone, I'd suspect it's the real fake rather than a fake fake. But who knows. The world has gone mad.

Bill Whitehurst, plav1959 and Giffro like this.
  16. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Check out Dave's repair on an Ibby/Ric

kodiakblair and SirMjac28 like this.
  17. Spirit of Ox

Spirit of Ox Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Chelsea Mass
    I had an Ibanez Ric clone in the late 90's. Bolt on neck pretty good action and build quality except for the pickups. They were so microphonic and noisy.

18. RobTheRiot

RobTheRiot

Aug 31, 2016
    las Vegas, nv
    I’m pretty sure the truss rod cover on headstock should say Ibanez.

I had one years ago that did, and I’ve seen a bunch that always had Ibanez where it usually says Rickenbacker.

I’m not willing to say definitively just from that that it’s not one - maybe someone changed it?

However, i love & have reeearched a lot of old Ibby’s, and I’ve seen a lot of people online labeling anything that is “lawsuit” - a copy & pretty old - as Ibanez, when they are not. That’s usually the first clue also, is that Ibanez almost always put their name on their products. Also, Ibanez was far from being the only company creating knockoffs in the 70’s.

Because Ibby’s were usually quite high quality, ppl have realized they can charge quite a bit more by calling whatever fake they’re selling an Ibanez.

Neat looking bass from the one pic either way; good luck.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  19. ProgressiveDoom

ProgressiveDoom

Mar 31, 2017
    Canada
    I once owned a Chickenbacker witch is the ultimate fake, got rid of it real soon afterwards. From your picture the bridge pickup looks more realistic and on par with a Japanese made 70's from my knowledge. Every current chickenbacker today has this ugly squared off chrome bridge pickup cover with a flat chrome base to mount onto. Also Ive never seen a current style Chickenbacker without the toaster style neck pickup, on the one in your picture it appears to be I believe a 4003 pickup(clone), the issue with the toaster is that its engineered too small to register the top string and for me to sell mine I put in the black one pictured. Thats all I got for you. IMG_2277.JPG

20. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    That fuzzy pic does look like an older Japanese Rick copy. Could have been neck-through ( the deluxe ones!!) or bolt-neck ( not so deluxe, but some were monstrously good players). Truss rod cover could have originally said Ibanez or Univox or Mann or half a dozen other names, previous owner probably scrubbed it off or put a plain white one on...