Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ibanez RKB900 Anyone played one yet?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stratman1973, Jan 16, 2005.

1. I was leaning towards a Mexican Jazz, but this one looks really promising. Leo Quan BAII bridge, Duncan Basslines P&J, Made in Japan, and a supposedly more traditional thicker neck. Anyway, Musician's friend is blowing them out at $379, and it seems like lots of bang for the buck. Has anyone tried one of these out?

Thanks,
    Chris

Model RKB900

2. artitrol

artitrol

Jan 15, 2005
    Sarasota
    it's a good sounding and playing bass features a fatter and strongger sound than soundgear and ergodyne bass by ibanez. but i think if u want to take a traditional passive sound, this bass isn't a good choice. it's a modern sound from the rkb900. if u want a powerful,strong p/j tone and noiseless, it's a good choice.by the way, like most modern ibanez bass, it don't have a rich mid-range but more bass and high gain.
    i recommend yamaha bb3000 or fender hot rod american precision for u, if u like the p/j tone both traditional and modern.

3. Hey, thanks for the input! Anyone else tried one? According to the NAMM link, they came out in early 93, and I'm guessing they're discontinued now, as I don't see it on the Ibanez site. I guess a vintage style IBANEZ had little appeal to the masses. Is still looks like lots of great quality parts for the price of a Mexi-bass. I pulled the trigger, so I'll know soon enough.

;) Chris :hyper:

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    RKBs just came out in 2003. I think you're talking about the ATK series, which came out in 1993 and was discontinued in 1998 or 1999, i can't remember.

5. Wow! I forgot a whole decade. ;) I meant to say early 2003. :rollno:

6. mike1968

mike1968 Guest

Nov 12, 2004
    e'ville Indiana
    :D I recieved last week an rkb900 vintage fade( made in japan) that I bought off musicians friend for $379.00. I am very happy with it, so was my teacher, he really liked it . It is really well built and like the ad says it does come equiped with very nice pickups, tuners and bridge. The neck is fatter than say the soudgear models wich I also own.I can wrap my hand all the way around the neck on the soundgear and cannot on this one if that gives you some idea.The neck feels really nice and the action is good also. When I plugged it in I could not believe the difference in the volume, I had to turn my amp down! the pickups are that much hotter than my soundgear. I think it really has a nice sound and cannot really complain one bit. I have a mid scoop on my amp as well as a 5 band eq and have not had any trouble getting the tone and sound I want. I cannot say if the tone would be for you or not but as far as the qaulity build of the bass for that price you can hardly go wrong.

7. mike1968

mike1968 Guest

Nov 12, 2004
    e'ville Indiana
    To add a note the ad is wrong about the controls . They are not "treble,bass and volume" but master volume control, blend control for the pickups and a tone control for a grand total of three knobs.

8. mike1968

mike1968 Guest

Nov 12, 2004
    e'ville Indiana
    'funkycarnivore' wrote about this bass. do a search for " RKB900" and you should find it.

9. Hey, thanks for the tip, I'll look for his post. It sounds like a really nice bass. Mine should arrive sometime tomorrow!

10. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    yes I have played this bass and it plays really well. That's a good price too. I think the store I tried it at had it marked somewhere around $650 or so. I think this bass would have gone over very well for the folks that like a vintage style bass except Ibanez put that pointy headstock on it and really kinda ruined the vintage look "vibe". I would go for it if you're thinking of a buying a bass in this price range anyway. This bass will give you MUCH more quality overall than any Mexi-Jazz you'll find out there.

11. Well, I got it today, and it's a sweet bass. The nut was perfectly cut, tight neck pocket, beefy neck, but not too beefy, somewhere between a JAZZ and a P-Bass. The neck is also
    rolled at the edges alot like the newer Fender Am. Series basses, giving it a nice broken in feel. The finish is flawless, and the vintage burst is really nice. It sounds great too, and I'm diggin the wide range of tone I'm now able to dial in, especially upgrading from a so-so P-Bass knockoff. BTW, it comes strung with Elixer's which I also thought a nice touch. I highly recommend! :bassist:

12. mike1968

mike1968 Guest

Nov 12, 2004
    e'ville Indiana
    I was wondering what you going to say about your new bass. Glad you like it! I also got the vintage fade and the entire bass was flawless.I have fallen in love with mine! Congrats dude! :D

13. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I just pulled the trigger on one tonight as well. How can you say no to Seymour Duncan SP/JB-3 Quarter Pound pickups, Badass II bridge and Hipshot tuners, one-piece "Ibanez Prestige" maple neck (that's their "one step higher" quality control designation, as well as this was one of the few models left MIJ as opposed to Korea or China) and alder body with IMO, gorgeous "Vintage Fade" stain... all at clearance prices around 70% off list? :hyper:

I'd been thinking about having a four-string for low-slung (although I also ended up picking 2 new straps, and will likely have one length for picking, the other shorter for fingerstyle, and have both Straplok-ed for quick changes) pickstyle playing, perhaps downtuned C#, F#, B, E for "A Perfect Circle"-style tuning for a long while now, but after a major rebuilding spree gear-wise last year that idea was pushed into the (fairly far) indefinite future. Even then, I was thinking some type of MIM Fender P or Zone at best.

But now, between Bass Player's rave review in their June 2003 issue, our own funkycarnivore's review from December, the discontinued price of $370.49 (5% ASCAP discount from MF.com - go and get a membership now, it pays for itself in spades) and the approval and patience of a very understanding fiancée, I feel that I was able to get far more quality for the money than normally possible as well as a new bass for the toolbox much sooner than I would have imagined.

I'm normally not one of the "name you bass" type of guy, but in this situation? She's going to be a "Stephanie", even though the fiancée isn't a fan of the style or the color (I already have the obligatory "black bass" covered. ;)) It's hardly the least I can do, but it’s a start. :D

14. Congrats on the new bass, I'm sure you'll love it. Another added bonus that I found yesterday while looking at the tags, if you register for the warranty online, you get a free one year subscription to Rolling Stone. Not bad for a freebie. :cool:

15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Thanks, I'm really looking forward to this one, as it's a complete 180º turn from what I'm used to playing - passive electronics, thicker "vintage style" neck and general styling, stained body as opposed to painted. I'm already considering having a custom pickguard made to replace the standard black - either white or silver pearl depending on how "flashy" I feel like being... although now that I think about it, a black model with a white or silver pearloid would be really cool. If I didn't already own a black bass and not any stained ones, I think I might have gone that route for tr00 \m/etalness :D

Who am I to turn down a free $25-worth subscription to RS? - despite their rep they do have the occasional good article, and I always need fresh reading material.

Chris, I also forgot to thank you for both bringing this deal to my awareness and for the review, so thanks bunches. My credit company also says thanks as well. :smug:

16. No Problem. :cool: Be sure to post a review of yours when you get it. I played mine for about 3 hours last night, and hated to put it down to go to bed! :bassist:

17. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I just ordered one of these in black. Hopefully it'll be a nice compliment to my ATK 300. I've been wanting a P-J bass for awhile, but the MIM P-J basses never really appealed to me that much. I did like one a few years back that had active eq, but I'd rather have a passive P-J bass.

Thanks to you guys for pointing out such a good deal on a nice bass. I paid $350 with free shipping. It's a real bargain considering the parts - alder body, "premium" one piece maple neck, the Duncan pickups, the Badass bridge and the Hipshot tuners. I would have been hard pressed to get a used MIM P-J with all of those parts for that price used.

I hope it plays as well as my ATK. That bass will never leave my collection.

Can anyone comment on the bridge pickup tone? Does it nail the Jazz bass growl?

18. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'll probably pop one tomorrow. Question... black or vintage fade?

19. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I like the vintage fade, but the pickguard is *so* hideous, and it looks like it might be a top routed bass with the pots screwed into the pickguard, so I chose black to minimize the contrast. I think it would have been a much nicer bass if it were rear routed with no pickgurad. I may heve looked too "Plain-jane" to someone at Ibanez though.

20. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    So I picked up my RKB900 at the UPS depot last night. First impressions are good, but a little mixed. i haven't tried it with my gigging rig yet, but I played it through my Korg Pandora.

The pros:

-Great finish.

-Awesome hardware, including Elixir strings.

-Excellent setup. It was in tune from the factory! (detuned a whole step) I tweaked the trussrod a bit to set the relief, and the action and intonation was right on.

-Light weight (maybe not a pro for me...)

-Great, meaty Pbass tone. Super aggresive and punchy.

-Very consistent fretwork.

-Nicely shaped neck. Really easy to play. The string tension is good as well

-Well constructed - no gaps, well put together.

- Vol, blend, tone controls. Easier to control overall volume without changing the amount of pickup blend.

-No tax, no shipping fees makes it truly a $350 bass with about $300 worth of parts on it.

-It balances well sitting or with a strap. No neck dive for me.

The cons:

-This is no ATK It's not even in the same league for me. The ATK is much more solid. Without being too annoyingly vague, the neck on the ATK is much more substantial. The overall feel of the ATk is of a higher quality insturment - at least for me. The body of the RKB is smaller than the ATK as well.

This is where my bias may be showing. I know that some people like light basses. I like heavy basses. They just feel better to me, and I don't like the body flopping around when I play.

-For having a "Prestige" neck, I'm not all that impressed with the neck on the RKB900. It's a nice, flatsawn piece of maple with a nice maple fingerboard. The frets are med-small, and they could use a little dressing on the ends.

However, the light color doesn't really appeal to me, and the satin finish just seems awfully thin. It's also a little thick in the front-to-back dimension.

This also is probably just my bias. I associate light weight, satin finish necks with newer, MIM Fenders, Brice basses, and other cheaper instruments. Maybe I'm on of the dinosaurs that likes laquer finished necks. I can't explain why, but the super light colored, thin satin finished necks just seem cheap to me.

-The Jazz pickup alone doesn't really nail the growly, Jaco-esque one. It sounds good, but the mids aren't as accentuated.

Overall, I like the bass. The Pbass tone rocks. The Jazz pickup tone is ok, but I think it may be due to the character of the Quarter Pounders more than anything else.

I was hoping for a version of my ATK with P-j pickups. This is not that bass. It is a very nice bass with great tone though.

There is no way that I would have paid over $500 for this bass though. At $350, it's a great deal. It listed for $1100 or $1200 or something ludicrous.